C4 Forums | Control4

Total Home (SCAM) Technologies – Don’t Be A Sucker! Give Your Business to Epic Systems!

Let us provide a bit of context.  Our Control4 System was originally installed by Magnolia (Best Buy) in 2015-16.  However, Magnolia stopped becoming an authorized service/technician provider and was unable to provide service and support.  We didn’t fully understand how painful it is when someone stops becoming an authorized service/support technician, but for that reason, we will not purchase anything from Magnolia in the future.  Beginning in 2021, things started to get wonky with our system likely due to a lack of software upgrades, etc.  We had ‘duct-taped’ some workarounds to keep the system functional.  After bearing these frustrations, they eventually accumulated to the point where we had to figure out a solution to go forward.

After reaching out to 4-5 authorized retailers with a simple internet search, Alex from Total Home Technologies reached back out.  As part of their evaluation and service, they required us to visit their showroom to discuss our needs, and presumably “wow” us with all of their capabilities.  After some back-and-forth, they scheduled a home visit to evaluate our system in-person.  About a week later, their proposal arrived…

Sticker shock may be the understatement of the year!  First, their proposal was so convoluted, it didn’t have any sub-totals or totals or any easy way to figure out the various costs of things in a logical manner.  This was an obvious red flag, but we thought we needed to understand it better.  Alex explained this is a common problem and that he would be happy to walk us through it.  We got on the phone with him a couple of times, and over the total course of about 1.5 hours, he finally concludes that the total cost of everything was going to be about $47,000!  He explained the NECESSARY hardware upgrades, licensing support, software upgrade costs, three-year subscription required for their support, etc.  All of this, Alex calmly explained, was required for them to be able to access the system remotely, monitor the performance, and provide real-time support.  We were crestfallen and reeling from this and told him we would think about it.  Not willing to accept this rationale and sales approach outright, we asked Alex if there were ways to reduce the bill to get the basic elements of the system working.  Alex ultimately stated there were things he could trim around the edges, but the core of the system needed to change and that was what would be required to upgrade.

We sat on this for a couple of months, working with our ‘duct-taped system/process’ already in place.  We could still use our system, it’s just we had work-arounds and it was cumbersome.  We decided to reach back out to a few other authorized retailers to gain insight and perspective on what options we may have.  We connected with Joe at Epic Systems with offices in NJ/NY.  They were responsive and service oriented immediately.  We explained our issues and asked if they could help.  We screen shot our controllers, our software version, and our hardware set-up.  They accessed our system remotely, diagnosed our issues, and offered a proposal, that included upgrading our controllers and software.  There was no back-and-forth hassle…no wasted hours and no wasted days.  They would bring in everything within a week, install it, and program everything accordingly.  They would also be able to provide remote support as well as onsite support.  Here’s the kicker…there all-in cost was $4,000!  This was literally a difference of over 90% what Total Home Technologies offered.

Don’t be a sucker!  Don’t give your business to Total Home Technologies.  Give your business to Epic Systems!  They are honest, straight-forward, and have the customer’s best interests in mind.

Hello NYC Nerver Dies,

My name is Keith Harrison, I started Total Home Technologies in 1992 and am the CEO.     Firstly,  I would like to apologize for you having a negative experience, regardless of whom you dealt with, "The buck stops here.”    I could go on about how many awards / certifications / and happy clients we have after 30+ years in business, but that isn’t what matters if you feel you mistreated.  

I do not know your name, so I cannot look up any estimates or quotes, but from your post, I gather no money traded hands.     Also, many things you mention do ring true.  We do ask all clients to visit one of Total Homes Control4 certified showrooms and…..meet our team.  We go over the options, pricing, and if possible, we favor meeting in person.  Meaning, we put a lot of time in up front…. and at no charge.  

Most would agree, if Company A is $47K and Company B is $4k…… they are not same project.    But, without seeing both quotes, I am just guessing.  Your post did not say if you visited one of our showrooms?  That showroom meeting is meant to explain, what we do, and why is costs what it does.  For example we include all warranty, upgrades (yup trade in old for new),   software updates, on site visits, all custom programing for 5 years!    That alone could justify the delta in pricing.

In reading you post, Total Home spent a significant amount of time designing, meeting, refining, consulting…. then provided up pricing,  before collecting any money.   Can that be called a “Scam?”  

Either way.  I would like to personally speak with you and hear about your experience,  and offer you more of an appogogy than this post can.  My email is Keith@totalhome.tech,  or call me at 877-550-5150.  I would greatly like to converse with you personally and understand all of the details of your experience.             

Thank You 

Keith Harrison 
CEO

Total Home Technologies 

877-550-5150
www.totalhome.tech      
keith@totalhome.tech

I must say that I am impressed that @Keith made his first post ever on these forums to deal with a customer complaint.  Kudos to Total Hone Technologies. 

@NYC Never Dies - your experience sounds terrible (and I acknowledge that I am basing my comment on one side of the story).   You cannot go wrong with Epic Systems.  They have done good work over the years.  I am currently dealing with them on a possible upgrade to my system and I have used their drivers in the past.  Equally,  I would suggest you take Keith up on his offer and (at least) have a discussion.  For the CEO to take an interest in a problem (real or perceived) is always positive.

Good luck!

Agreed, I hope the OP at least realizes that his concerns are trying to be addressed and gives Keith the opportunity to do so.  I also agree with Keith that if no money exchanged hands you probably shouldn't be throwing around the scam word.  The op mentioned red flags but it's a red flag for me that his first ever post was made to bash a company that it sounds like he didn't even actually do business with.  I understand this space can sometimes be frustrating for the consumer because it's not always easy to tell what you are getting for your money.  At the end of the day your relationship with your dealer is the most important part of this whole process, and it seems like they may have found that with Epic which is fantastic.  Doesn't necessarily mean you need to go out of your way to bash the other guy though, who may have been trying to give you exactly what they were thing you asked for in a system, and you just weren't on the same page yet.   

I too can speak very highly of Epic Systems. After being ghosted by my original installer when I wanted a timeframe they could finish some pieces and provide some additions to the system, I found Ari with Epic on this forum. He has provided the communication that allows me to know my system will be taken care, especially if something goes really wrong, which is something I fundamentally lacked with the original installer.

Honestly, I wish I had learned that my original dealer and I were not a good match prior to any money being exchanged. No marriage from the outset is easier than any divorce!! Sounds like the OP ended the relationship prior to getting married, which only saves both parties a lot of hassle. 

But I very much applaud Keith for posting here and reaching out to the OP. I wish my original installer would own their part in the divorce and reach out with an apology, but I am not holding my breath. 

6 hours ago, BY96 said:

I too can speak very highly of Epic Systems. After being ghosted by my original installer when I wanted a timeframe they could finish some pieces and provide some additions to the system, I found Ari with Epic on this forum. He has provided the communication that allows me to know my system will be taken care, especially if something goes really wrong, which is something I fundamentally lacked with the original installer.

Honestly, I wish I had learned that my original dealer and I were not a good match prior to any money being exchanged. No marriage from the outset is easier than any divorce!! Sounds like the OP ended the relationship prior to getting married, which only saves both parties a lot of hassle. 

But I very much applaud Keith for posting here and reaching out to the OP. I wish my original installer would own their part in the divorce and reach out with an apology, but I am not holding my breath. 

I think OP is referring to a different company also named Epic Systems, if I'm reading this correctly.  I'm guessing that Epic Systems based in NY/NJ is this company: https://epicsystems.tech.  However, I think everyone else is referring to Ari's Epic Systems firm, here:  https://www.epic-systems.com.  

2 minutes ago, DLite said:

I think OP is referring to a different company also named Epic Systems, if I'm reading this correctly.  I'm guessing that Epic Systems based in NY/NJ is this company: https://epicsystems.tech.  However, I think everyone else is referring to Ari's Epic Systems firm, here:  https://www.epic-systems.com.  

They are the same company. 2 locations. One in NJ and one in Colorado 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.