C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 replacement decision criteria

istreich

On 10/15/2022 at 12:33 PM, Cyknight said:

Doubtful but not impossible of course. MAYBE in the sense that it can't be main controller, but I would expect them to last for at least 2-4 more years.

End of sale, I expect soon (they aren't yet!)

This notice is on our dealer portal (see image below), along with that End of Sale for the EA5 that was mentioned (cannot be ordered at all anymore, no stock etc).  I assume once stock is done, they will be marked end of sale. And Control4/Snap will only keep enough inventory for the 2 year RMA period..

image.thumb.png.b070744b9838d52e4d43665d3348a6ee.png

12 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

This notice is on our dealer portal (see image below), along with that End of Sale for the EA5 that was mentioned (cannot be ordered at all anymore, no stock etc).  I assume once stock is done, they will be marked end of sale. And Control4/Snap will only keep enough inventory for the 2 year RMA period..

image.thumb.png.b070744b9838d52e4d43665d3348a6ee.png

Sigh I didn't say EA5 I said the EA line - and as there is still stock, not all models are EoS, but like I said I expect them to be soon.....

So...  I came here for another reason but stumbled onto this thread.  I have a very early HC-800.  I think my first one was RMA'ed because the HDMI port failed or wasn't working?  We're talking back in late 2011/2012.  Anyhoo...

I'm on OS3.2x and things are fine.  Have a EA1 too.  But I see the Core 1/3/5 are out and just wondering if a decade long controller is in need of retirement as it seems things are evolving quickly on the C4 side.  I don't have a huge project, not a ton going on.  But I'll add something from time to time.

Seems like the Core 3 can do ZWave, which  if I'm inferring correctly opened up a lot more on what we can connect into C4 natively?

One question -- My HC800 has a Composer Home Edition license tied to it.  No way to transfer it to a new controller?  Any thoughts there?

1 hour ago, Scrib said:

So...  I came here for another reason but stumbled onto this thread.  I have a very early HC-800.  I think my first one was RMA'ed because the HDMI port failed or wasn't working?  We're talking back in late 2011/2012.  Anyhoo...

I'm on OS3.2x and things are fine.  Have a EA1 too.  But I see the Core 1/3/5 are out and just wondering if a decade long controller is in need of retirement as it seems things are evolving quickly on the C4 side.  I don't have a huge project, not a ton going on.  But I'll add something from time to time.

Seems like the Core 3 can do ZWave, which  if I'm inferring correctly opened up a lot more on what we can connect into C4 natively?

One question -- My HC800 has a Composer Home Edition license tied to it.  No way to transfer it to a new controller?  Any thoughts there?

is the hc800 or ea1 your main controller? if you are wanting to upgrade to the latest version you could move your project over to the ea1 as the main controller but you would have to find other options if you are using hc800 for the audio or IO. finding a replacement for the hc800 IO is easy (IO extender, global cache, z2io, etc) but the audio would take some planning.

The Core controllers have a HDMI handshake issue with most AVRs. My Core 1 will not handshake after the first handshake unless the controller is rebooted. This is persistent, even after changing the output resolution manually.

My Core is connected to a Lyngdorf MP60, but a friend of mine has the same issue with a lower end mass market receiver, so i'd say the issue covers the spectrum of most installs.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:01 AM, Reednatron said:

My Core is connected to a Lyngdorf MP60, but a friend of mine has the same issue with a lower end mass market receiver, so i'd say the issue covers the spectrum of most installs.

Heh, it happens in two locations so it's got to happen everywhere on all reeivers, and all Cores? That's quite the leap.

AFAIK -and that's because it's been in fact reported- the Core1 is the only one having an issue, and while it's on multiple brands and models, it's not on ALL surround receivers. May be chip/board related.

But yes there's a bug there that's being looked at to the best of my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
Heh, it happens in two locations so it's got to happen everywhere on all reeivers, and all Cores? That's quite the leap.
AFAIK -and that's because it's been in fact reported- the Core1 is the only one having an issue, and while it's on multiple brands and models, it's not on ALL surround receivers. May be chip/board related.
But yes there's a bug there that's being looked at to the best of my knowledge.

Not just a Core1

Also happening on a Core3

Requires a replacement unit to be sent out.

A Lyngdorf processor and a big box Yamaha receiver are pretty far apart in the spectrum, so I seriously doubt that everything in between works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, Reednatron said:

Lyngdorf processor and a big box Yamaha receiver are pretty far apart in the spectrum

Sure, yet it's hardly far-fetched that they use the same HDMI chip on their respective boards - but Onkyo or Sony may use another one.

Like I said - there IS a known bug that's being looked at.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, Reednatron said:

The Core controllers have a HDMI handshake issue with most AVRs. My Core 1 will not handshake after the first handshake unless the controller is rebooted. This is persistent, even after changing the output resolution manually.

And when you say handshake, you mean the UI coming up on the TV?

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

Control4 would save a lot of time and effort if they would just get rid of the on screen display.

Would save a lot of effort if we just closed up shop.

Why do anything?

;)

There is still a good sized subset of customers that use the On Screen.  It's certainly a lot of work, but so is anything useful.

RyanE

30 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Why do anything?

;)

There is still a good sized subset of customers that use the On Screen.  It's certainly a lot of work, but so is anything useful.

RyanE

There are a good sized subset of customers still using a HC800 (probably more than use the OSD) but that didnt stop Control4 from EOLing it 😉

The OSD just seems redundant in the age of smartphones and tablets. Ive heard the arguments for it but in every situation a device nearby like a smartphone, tablet or Control4 touchscreen would be just as good or not better. Dealers would probably sell a few more mobile tablets if they got rid of it.

It just doesnt seem worth the effort. Maybe its not that big a deal and the code base for the tablets is similar and its more of just a hardware thing in the controller. 

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

The OSD just seems redundant in the age of smartphones and tablets. Ive heard the arguments for it but in every situation a device nearby like a smartphone, tablet or Control4 touchscreen would be just as good or not better. Dealers would probably sell a few more mobile tablets if they got rid of it.

That's certainly a valid opinion, an it's something Control4's Product Management takes into account when designing new hardware.

At this point in time, they've decided it's worth it.  You obviously can either agree or disagree with their assessment, but it's of course, their call.

:)

RyanE

4 hours ago, RyanE said:

Why do anything?

;)

RyanE

Are the metrics you are using for the on screen projects that have it bound, or actual usage of the on screen in systems? I've done many take over jobs were the previous dealer sold 250's and ea1s for every TV and the client never once used it (didn't quite understand at the time if they would or what they were buying). I personally haven't used it as part of a design since the days when you could only schedule a thermostat from the OSD or a C4 Touchscreen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.