C4 Forums | Control4

Need a relay that works with Control4 to control other branded blinds through dry contact interface.

dawgfan

Need a relay that works with Control4 to control other branded blinds through low voltage dry contact interface.

** Edit 01/05/2023**

The dry contact relay device would need to provide open and close function and the input to the device would be wireless via Zigbee.

Edited by dawgfan
More info

Well which option is best/best price will also depend on what exactly you need - the question is what sort of contact closure do you need to get, and it can range greatly.

Some base examples:

-Just a toggle to go up, down, or stop

-Separate contacts for up, down and stop

-separate Contacts for up/down that keep the motor engaged while 'pressed' and stops when released.

Each of these three, and there are variants, require a different relay setup, which in turn can determine which devices are suitable and/or efficient

In technical terms, do you need spst, spdt, dpdt or dpst relays.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, Cyknight said:

Oh I should add - where do you need to install them, ie is there wiring in place, do they need to be local and so on.

Momentary relays, just open and close, with wireless Zigbee interface. No additional wiring.

see attached image of cut sheet for the motor interface through dry contacts

dry contact.jpg

Is there any particular reason it needs to be zigbee? There are lots of good wifi based products (such as Shelly). If it has an RF remote, as an alternative, you could also use a product like Bond potentially which controls a lot of things.

Also, do you have a beam sensor connected to your garage door and reeds too, to check if the door is open or closed, and ensure it can't be closed whilst a car is driving in?

33 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Global Cache is another option but only Wifi or wired.  WF2CC model

By the way, if you use Global cache, I'd recommend using the flex series, NOT the itach series. The original Wifi iTach series I recall uses a 802.11b radio, so you need to enable legacy wifi/beacons to use it (which slows down all of your WiFi). Flex uses 802.11g radio, so legacy mode is not required

Shelly Plus series uses a 802.11n radio and imho is a better solution these days (cloud based and cheaper, even when factoring in the cost of our driver).

Thanks Andrew - good to know!  I bought a bunch of GC-100s on ebay for about $20 each a few years ago.  They need wired ethernet but they can do a lot - six IR or sensors, plus three relays and two serial connections. 

8 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Thanks Andrew - good to know!  I bought a bunch of GC-100s on ebay for about $20 each a few years ago.  They need wired ethernet but they can do a lot - six IR or sensors, plus three relays and two serial connections. 

Yeah.. The GC-100's were really good. Keep in mind, they have a connection limit of 1 simultaneous connection, whereas iTach supports up to 8. That might matter less for C4 though, but because of it, when I was an installer, I focused on the IO Extenders instead (because they don't have that limitation).

Also, one last note to keep in mind with the flex.. We had a LOT of those flex cables break, and the wiring for their cables I recall is different to the C4 wiring (so, not cross compatible). But, the flex cables could have been a bad batch honestly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.