C4 Forums | Control4

Whole system shutdown after Halo!

Hi guys - first off thanks for the help.  I am sure I have made some of this worse and for that I'm truly sorry...

Yesterday I received a new Halo.  My dealer remotely updated me to OS 3.3.3.  I thought it was all working fine - until I tried to edit the Halo buttons using Composer HE.  I had to upgrade Composer HE to work with the new OS.  

Now everything seems to have gone wrong.  I have a very small system.  Here are the details:

- EA3

- C4 IO extender

- Two sets of roller blinds (240v) and a curtain (Silent Gliss)

- About 12 lights - 240v halogen controlled by C4

- About 6 light switches - most important these are NOT the standard C4 switches.  They are basic "push to make" switches (suited the decor better) - have always worked fine with C4 on the basis that it senses when a connection is made it activates the relevant lighting scene.

Last night I foolishly tried to customise the Halo using Composer HE.  Now almost nothing works:

- None of the remotes work properly (Halo, old SR250, iPhone app)

- None of the lights work - although in Composer HE I can see the levels moving up and down as I use the app but the lights are not coming on

- None of the light switches work - in Composer HE they have a (?) next to them in the monitoring section

- The shades don't work - I get nothing when I try to trigger them (there's a message about the driver needing to be updated - not sure if relevant?)

- None of the audio zones work

I SHOULD have test everything thoroughly and made a backup of the project as soon as the dealer had updated to OS 3.3.3 I'm an idiot; the Halo process just seemed so easy - a quick remote update and then set up the Halo.  I've tried everything I can think of - resetting the system, etc.

However this leaves me in very difficult situation over the weekend (and my dealer is closed):

- I cant open my shades

- I have no lights

I can live without the rest for now but as you cab imagine I am now living in a dark cave for 2 days.

Is there ANYONE that could help me?  Willing to pay for time incurred of course - I wonder if just re-flashing the Controller to OS 3.3.3 again will fix some of the problems for now.  I just need light and shades!

FWIW - I'm not blaming the dealer - I'm the sort of person who unfortunately gets excited by new toys and is dangerous enough to know just enough to do some basic programming in Composer HE (which has been an amazing benefit) but this is Pro level and I've probably done something stupid.

Based in the UK but can of course give remote access - send screenshots, run logs, speak to you - whatever helps.  I expect that given the experience of the dealers here this is a very simple system but I just don't know what's happened.

Any help really really gratefully received....

Thanks again

Mark

Sorry I should also add that I think the lights are controlled by a DIN (?) system.  Essentially the entire system was installed about 10 years ago - apart from upgrading to an EA3 I haven't needed to make any changes and I'm preying that OS 3.3.3 isn't going to require me to upgrade a whole extra bunch of equipment.

26 minutes ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

OS 3.3.3 just came out and is probably buggy. 
Should have been updated to OS 3.2.2. 

see if you have a backup like others have states restore it and upgrade again should fix your issue. 

What? 3.3.3 has been great for me and I haven’t read much about bugs on the forum. And I assume you mean 3.3.2? Which for me had bug issues - primarily with my cameras and T4s (now fixed). 

Thank you for all the replies. 

ive tried all the suggestions about turning things off. 

when it comes to back ups - the only one I had was from an earlier version of OS (yes, I’ve learned a valuable lesson about backing up more regularly). 

I could not restore this backup because Composer HE had to be updated to 3.3.3 - otherwise you are unable to connect to the director.  So I did this, then used the back up (which would have been from an earlier version of OS - about a year ago).  It allowed me to do this - but I am wondering if this is what has caused all the problems?  Is it possible that using a backup from an earlier OS could somehow cause problems when applied to OS 3.3.3?

Or should this be possible? If so, I am going to try the backup again. 

thank you all again. 

I tried the restore and then rebooting. 

no luck. 

I really like C4 as a product but I have to say every time I’ve had some upgrade there has always been issues and it’s a frustrating experience. I guess this is between me and the dealer but either way one of us is going to have to waste time and money. 

5 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I tried the restore and then rebooting. 

no luck. 

I really like C4 as a product but I have to say every time I’ve had some upgrade there has always been issues and it’s a frustrating experience. I guess this is between me and the dealer but either way one of us is going to have to waste time and money. 

IMHO it was not the upgrade that was the problem. It was whatever programming you did after that

14 hours ago, Mark S said:

That may be the case and if so fair enough - perhaps something inadvertent

U r shooting in the dark here, obviously something screwed ur setup, u need a remote dealer to login to your system and see what’s wrong, or u wait for your dealer try fixing this, hope he have a copy of your project for an easy restore.

Sorry for your troubles, but pls educate yourself before touching the system, there is a reason why C4 and most HA companies made this dealerships business model.

In a nutshell something screwed up ur network setup, u obviously have Panelized Lighting, and an audio distribution, if nothing works then it’s a network issue, u deleted something or by coincidence ur router is off, u also restored an old backup so it’s a mess really.

23 hours ago, Mark S said:

Thank you for all the replies. 

ive tried all the suggestions about turning things off. 

when it comes to back ups - the only one I had was from an earlier version of OS (yes, I’ve learned a valuable lesson about backing up more regularly). 

I could not restore this backup because Composer HE had to be updated to 3.3.3 - otherwise you are unable to connect to the director.  So I did this, then used the back up (which would have been from an earlier version of OS - about a year ago).  It allowed me to do this - but I am wondering if this is what has caused all the problems?  Is it possible that using a backup from an earlier OS could somehow cause problems when applied to OS 3.3.3?

Or should this be possible? If so, I am going to try the backup again. 

thank you all again. 

We live in an update/upgrade world. Most system are not changing to newest updates, most customers have stable working systems and that is all they need. You like to have some control of your system, upgrade to the newest. That come with some headaches.

I blame Apple for the course of ship it and maybe fix it later mentality. iPhone is where it all began

4 hours ago, c4toys said:

I blame Apple for the course of ship it and maybe fix it later mentality. iPhone is where it all began

You are welcome to blame Apple for whatever you want, but "ship now, fix later" happened *long* before the iPhone, and happened even before the Apple ][ was a gleam in Steve Wozniak's eye...

RyanE

To the average residential customer? customer couldnt even tell you what firmware was. iPhone brought weekly/monthly updates. That transferred to TV's, BD and everything with an app. And now the 1st line of troubleshooting is "is everything up to date?"

2 hours ago, c4toys said:

To the average residential customer? customer couldnt even tell you what firmware was. iPhone brought weekly/monthly updates. That transferred to TV's, BD and everything with an app. And now the 1st line of troubleshooting is "is everything up to date?"

No, not necessarily true, some leave what they have for ages without upgrades as long as they don’t change their behavior or asking for more, “if ain’t broke, don’t touch”

The rapid advancement we are living are pushing these boundaries all the time, but it’s a choice u can make, u can stay where u r and don’t update!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.