C4 Forums | Control4

Are you getting a noticeable Speed increase from Core processors?

Great. Another CA10 post that doesn't answer anything I asked. I give up. Perhaps I didn't word my post properly. 

What speed are you referring to? How fast a zigbee light turns on? Your project is run in the CA-10. Speed isn’t the idea behind the Core series. It’s to open a ton of new features that the current EA series ultimately won’t natively support. The benefits of Core that are already released have been discussed. Thing beyond that is a guess, because Control4 is very tight-lipped about future features etc.

If you are around if a Core5 is faster than a CA-10, no.

If you are asking if a Core5 is faster than an EA5, yes …but not that noticeably. It’s more about features which require “horsepower per se” not necessarily speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, time2jet said:

What speed are you referring to? How fast a zigbee light turns on? Your project is run in the CA-10. Speed isn’t the idea behind the Core series. It’s to open a ton of new features that the current EA series ultimately won’t natively support. The benefits of Core that are already released have been discussed. Thing beyond that is a guess, because Control4 is very tight-lipped about future features etc.

Who said my project is run on a CA-10? You might want to actually read my original post. Or even the post that you quoted. If you can answer what I asked I would appreciate it. If not, then thank you for the info. 

Edit: I just noticed that you added "If you are asking if a Core5 is faster than an EA5, yes …but not that noticeably." Thank you.

Who said my project is run on a CA-10? You might want to actually read my original post. Or even the post that you quoted. If you can answer what I asked I would appreciate it. If not, then thank you for the info. 
Edit: I just noticed that you added "If you are asking if a Core5 is faster than an EA5, yes …but not that noticeably." Thank you.

Yeah, sorry. I got caught up reading the previous posts. All of which are informative by the way, rehashes.

I see you are running an EA3 currently. Anothef benefit of a Core3 upgrade would be the additional steam of audio. It has 3 outputs PLUS the HDMI. With the EA series they count the HDMI.

1 hour ago, The Remote Guy 13 said:

I would say - if you are NOT noticing anything slow now, you're not going to notice an upgrade to a Core on an existing setup from a daily use perspective.

If you're having issues now, even if zigbee related, you may well see a difference. The reality is that there is no simple answer to the question 'will i notice a difference' without a lot more information to begin with between controller, at least from a 'normal' daily use experience.

Essentially you're asking if your emails will go through faster if you get this year's laptop processor vs the previous one - and note that my emails are going though right away now.

IS the CORE line more powerful? Yep.

Does it do certain aspects particularly better? Absolutely.

Can it improve a sluggish system now? For sure. Is that a guarantee? Well no as I can't say if your issues are even related to processor speeds.

🤷‍♂️

If you're asking if it makes sense to pro-actively replace an EAx with a COREx (if running director) when there is no issues now, and you're not looking for any of the new features (ie expanded zwave support) - well then the answer is no.

20 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Yeah, sorry. I got caught up reading the previous posts. All of which are informative by the way, rehashes.

I see you are running an EA3 currently. Anothef benefit of a Core3 upgrade would be the additional steam of audio. It has 3 outputs PLUS the HDMI. With the EA series they count the HDMI.

No worries. That was what my post was about. Everybody talking about the CA-10 and driver problems, but nobody answering what I asked. When they were announced, there was a mention of faster processors and user experience. So I was just wondering if anybodies experience mirrored this. But it hasn't seemed to....

The guys that responded to your post are all great members and the information was spot on, I just skimmed too fast.  Not sure how large a project you have, but a CA-10 to me would be more valuable than a Core controller if you have a large number of devices, lot's of custom programming, a lot of drivers, etc.  It's expensive sure,  but in EVERY case our client's have said it was the best decision they made.  They don't see what we see as dealers, but they base that upon the speed it reboots, the speed navigators refresh etc.  The Core platform is the future and will bring even MORE magic than what has been mentioned, it's just that we even as dealers are not 100% privy to these things beyond rumors... sort of how Apple never let's the cat out of the bag until the big September annual announcements.  But again, the EA series will only be limited as to the future OS releases.  We all know they work fine on OS3.3 and I would imagine they'll work fine until OS4 (that's being flippant, but just making a point).  Just skim the thread again and see if anything the Core brings would benefit you at this time.  You can always add one down the line.  

1 hour ago, The Remote Guy 13 said:

But it hasn't seemed to....

Oh there sure have been. From a dealer perspective, we've moved a few clients over from EA main controllers to CORE systems that were very active 'add-on' systems. IE initially small/basic systems where the user adds more and more features over time to the point of stretching a setup to it's limit. Everyone one of those we've upgraded to a CORE saw clear improvements. Normally we would have done a move to an EA5 from EA3's (and leaving the EA3 in place to push zigbee/audio/OSD off of director) or in extreme cases add a CA10 - but we held off a few to do a CORE3 swap instead: and yes, systems that had become sluggish or had zigbee 'stalls' saw great improvement (and to be clear, here we did NOT leave the EAs in place, in fact doing a direct swap out).

Like I said, it doesn't make sense if you have no issues now, or if you're not planning to use new features (I suppose I could have added, if you're looking to expand your system a lot) - that doesn't mean it isn't a faster unit.

To continue the laptop analogy: while it's not going to improve an already fine laptop experience for email, that doesn't mean it won't improve on that gamer experience on the same laptop.

7 hours ago, The Remote Guy 13 said:

While I do appreciate the replies and info, I don't understand why only one person answered my question. Which essentially was if upgrading from an EA controller  has anyone noticed any speed increases. I only see reference to driver problems and CA10s... So I will have to take away that there is no speed increase, in fact possibly slower. 

Core will always run faster or a similar speed. It will definitely NOT run slower. And as per my original reply, I definitely notice the speed difference in general.

Pennes answer actually isn't relevant because they're not using the core for processing.

The problem is we can only talk about generally. You really need to speak to your installer who knows what you're running.

8 hours ago, penn65000 said:

I mean these https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/sensors/

Work outside under eaves and no longer produced yet on website. There is no replacement. Believe me i and my dealer have looked. 

You can pair any generic outdoor motion sensor with something like z2io or Shelly as an alternative. If they're no longer manufacturing them, they might be still on the website because people still have stock internationally. But, I've never used them, or asked Snap about them so not really sure what's happening there. But it could just be they expect people to use generic ones and sensors.

If you have an alarm, you can also wire any generic one into the alarm too (which is how I'd normally do it)

42 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

You can pair any generic outdoor motion sensor with something like z2io or Shelly as an alternative. If they're no longer manufacturing them, they might be still on the website because people still have stock internationally. But, I've never used them, or asked Snap about them so not really sure what's happening there. But it could just be they expect people to use generic ones and sensors.

If you have an alarm, you can also wire any generic one into the alarm too (which is how I'd normally do it)

Thx but I want direct to C4. I don’t mess with hub-to-c4 for anything (except some color led lights which work w c4 by design). There should be many devices which work w c4 zigbee but there, um, aren’t. These look nice but they’re not for outdoors https://www.axxind.com/product/wireless-motion-sensor/

Just now, penn65000 said:

Thx but I want direct to C4. I don’t mess with hub-to-c4 for anything (except some color led lights which work w c4 by design). There should be many devices which work w c4 zigbee but there, um, aren’t. 

Z2io converts ZigBee to a generic input.

Shelly doesn't need a hub and it's cheap. It directly communicates via wifi to the control4 controller via our driver https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-shelly-generic

44 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Thx but I want direct to C4. I don’t mess with hub-to-c4 for anything (except some color led lights which work w c4 by design). There should be many devices which work w c4 zigbee but there, um, aren’t. These look nice but they’re not for outdoors https://www.axxind.com/product/wireless-motion-sensor/

https://www.axxind.com/product/wireless-contact-sensor/

Different sensor but used those 4 fence gates in NJ for the last 7-8 months.  Weather didn't knock 'em offline.  I did use some tape to seal any seams. If you are using this under eves and out of the way of most elements, I cannot guarantee, but I think you'll be fine.

12 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Different sensor but used those 4 fence gates in NJ for the last 7-8 months.  Weather didn't knock 'em offline.  I did use some tape to seal any seams. If you are using this under eves and out of the way of most elements, I cannot guarantee, but I think you'll be fine.

I have done the same many times with clear silicone and just cut it to replace batteries.  Works like a charm on every brand I tried.  Seems like the only element that really hurts them (and only really looks-wise) is the sun.  Tends to discolor the housing.  

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I wrote the manufacturer and they said don’t use outside:
image.thumb.png.cc42f27e8af4ed07a7ee56e144b9fc09.png

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Yes and as I mentioned I sealed mine w a $5 tube of silicon and it works in rain and snow.  Time2jet said he does the same thing. 

Mines been under the soffit for a decade(+?), didn't even bother sealing it. Yes, it won't be covered by warranty, it doesn't have an official IP rating. 'Course I've seen them take it out of an industrial deep freezer and put a blow torch to it to defrost it....and sense the temperature the whole time.

2 hours ago, Haze said:

Here you go: Core gives you nothing meaningful other than bugs. 

I have a Core5 and EA1v2 at home. Core is much faster with the drivers I'm developing.

Also, I suspect that drivers run in 64bit mode on Core (because, the table "pointers" look longer)

Also, if they're running the EA3v1, that was released in 2016 (7 years ago), so its likely the Core series will likely get 7 years of more updates at least (and even more performance)

13 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Try eBay, I buy those from eBay and I have 17 of them in 3 houses!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.