C4 Forums | Control4

EA3/Core 1, digital coax vs HDMI

drmark12pa

Question

I'm adding a controller into my theater finally after it's completion. I am likely using an extra EA3 I have on hand which will stream audio to my Anthem receiver in my theater (also control drop down screen, etc). Sony projector and Anthem receiver already controlled on network by Control4. My dealer had recommended possibly a Core1. My question is:

1) what's  difference in performance between EA3 and Core1 for just single room control of the theater and streaming audio.

2) I am wondering which the better option would be for best audio resolution the digital out or HDMI?  Is there a difference or can I just use the HDMI out to Anthem for both audio and onscreen display?  I want to make sure I'm getting the maximum 192 audio resolution of course

On the HDMI vs coax (or even stereo) - there is no difference in the audio output quality between them as such (remember, digital audio or HDMI is only 'better' because of the ability to transmit advanced surround versions, which isn't a consideration here).

Where HDMI is the 'lesser' choice is syncing issues between rooms: HMDI cannot be reliably put into sync with other output formats.

SO, if there's any chance/likelyhood of listening to the SAME music in a surround room vs the rest of the house, you want to avoid HDMI (noting that even then, it may not be possible to be completely in sync depending on the surround receiver).

IF you only want music in that 'theatre' room to have the option of sitting in there to enjoy a superious set of speakers: then using HDMI isn't an issue.

56 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

2) I am wondering which the better option would be for best audio resolution the digital out or HDMI?  Is there a difference or can I just use the HDMI out to Anthem for both audio and onscreen display?  I want to make sure I'm getting the maximum 192 audio resolution of course

you're using the Anthem's DAC and as such it may be designed for better audio performance on the COAX vs HDMI. This is more of an Anthem question then C4...

2 minutes ago, Amr said:

Well u can keep everything as is and get your self a BlueSound Node, Incredible DAC, tons of streaming services, u will be happy!

My wife noticed the bluesound was amazingly better than just using C4, she thought i got new speakers.

now i have to get another one for house.........

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Not if he wants to syn it with an existing C4 setup

Of course, sync’d audio is better of with C4 as well as multi-zones, scales better and more economic than Sonos or any other system.

I only use Sirius XM for a streaming service and no other platforms for music as I already around 5000 CDs in my own music library so have no real use for a home streaming service at least for music.

My main concern was EA series quality for lossless file quality vs. Core series.  Right now everything in theater such as my Anthem receiver/Sony projector/Sunfire amp all work via Ethernet control with Control4.  The only real function I'll be adding to the theater with a controller is audio via C4 and possible control of the projector screen for raising lowering.

5 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

I only use Sirius XM for a streaming service and no other platforms for music as I already around 5000 CDs in my own music library so have no real use for a home streaming service at least for music.

My main concern was EA series quality for lossless file quality vs. Core series.  Right now everything in theater such as my Anthem receiver/Sony projector/Sunfire amp all work via Ethernet control with Control4.  The only real function I'll be adding to the theater with a controller is audio via C4 and possible control of the projector screen for raising lowering.

With an Anthem Reciever, why are you even relying on the C4 Controller's DAC? 

20 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

With an Anthem Reciever, why are you even relying on the C4 Controller's DAC? 

I'm not sure how I would have Anthem receiver access my music library other than using C4 interface... Any suggestions?  I do like C4 I yerface with my large music library but also want best audio quality as most of my library is FLAC

7 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

I'm not sure how I would have Anthem receiver access my music library other than using C4 interface... Any suggestions?  I do like C4 I yerface with my large music library but also want best audio quality as most of my library is FLAC

go digital coax from the control4 controller to the anthem. it will use Anthem's DAC. or just bypass C4 altogether with something like a bluesound Node (my latest toy and it's worth it).

On 4/28/2023 at 1:05 PM, Amr said:

Well u can keep everything as is and get your self a BlueSound Node, Incredible DAC, tons of streaming services, u will be happy!

In this case, you aren't using C4's native audio services at all?   You need one node per discrete audio stream (eg, if I want Spotify in one room, Pandora in another at the same time, I need two nodes)?

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

In this case, you aren't using C4's native audio services at all?   You need one node per discrete audio stream (eg, if I want Spotify in one room, Pandora in another at the same time, I need two nodes)?

Correct. One node per stream. Or something like the NAD ci-580v2 which is 4 sources (like 4 nodes) in a 1u chassis (which is what I use for Bluesound). 

Be aware that there is no Pandora on bluesound and Spotify is still just connect (not native like on Autonomics MMS). You would need to use the c4 audio stream for Pandora. 

5 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I had to use NAD node as native C4 doesn’t work outside USA, so there is no iHeart Radio, Pandora and SirusXM for xample, so I have BlueSound, Sonos, and Duet+ to cover all my sources, Duet+ gives me Pandora, YouTube and native Spotify!

18 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

go digital coax from the control4 controller to the anthem. it will use Anthem's DAC. or just bypass C4 altogether with something like a bluesound Node (my latest toy and it's worth it).

That's what I seem to remember at my previous house with my RA5 at that time sending audio to the Anthem. Now it will be EA3

7 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I use Sirius XM and sometimes IHeart via C4 app as well as my entire music library (My Music) via C4

In my RACK I have my EA5 and HC800 (to be replaced in near future) providing 4 streams to my 2 8 zone C4 amps.  

I only need 1 stream at a time in Theater though

2 hours ago, Amr said:

I had to use NAD node as native C4 doesn’t work outside USA, so there is no iHeart Radio, Pandora and SirusXM for xample, so I have BlueSound, Sonos, and Duet+ to cover all my sources, Duet+ gives me Pandora, YouTube and native Spotify!

Huh - I had no idea native C4 audio didn't work outside of the USA.  Thats a bummer, but I guess it's fine if Blusound sounds better anyways.

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Huh - I had no idea native C4 audio didn't work outside of the USA.  Thats a bummer, but I guess it's fine if Blusound sounds better anyways.

4 hours ago, Amr said:

This isn't correct....

SiriusXM and Pandora is owned by the same company, and isn't available outside of the US normally due to licencing restrictions anyway to the best of my knowledge (it's not a Control4 thing). Not sure about iHeartRadio (but, I'm guessing since it should work internationally normally, it likely works internationally in C4). 

Tidal, TuneIn, Amazon Music, deezer, Spotify (and probably more) all work internationally (although, Spotify is restricted, but thats not because of C4).

I think we all understand it’s not C4 fault, again these services does not steam in my country through C4, odd thing is iHeart Radio works fine outside C4!

Anyways am happy with all these services streams to C4 just fine!

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

iHeart tends to be locally/regionally governed - so a license to do it in one region may not extend to others.

It’s also related to how the driver is using the location to lock in the service area so iHeart doesn’t work on C4 but it does work on all iPhones, Android devices, anyways no complaints as I have a very good working alternative

20 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

In my RACK I have my EA5 and HC800 (to be replaced in near future) providing 4 streams to my 2 8 zone C4 amps.  

Do you actually stream 4 separate streams? ie have 4 logins? Nothing wrong with that, just wondering as I believe sirius is one stream per login.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.