C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor TV - Impact Resistant Screen

I need to replace the TV on my covered back porch. It only gets direct sunlight for a couple of hours in the morning, and only in the summer, but it’s never used at that time of day. The existing indoor TV lasted 8 years and is still working, so it’s not exposed to much weather. 

The biggest concern is impacts to the screen, due to a special needs kid with occasional outbursts. The existing TV has several gouges and white spots, which is why it needs to be replaced. 

Given this, what brands/models would be the best, lowest-longterm-cost option for screen durability? Would a protective housing have a more durable screen than an outdoor TV?

I'd go the protective housing route.  I've done several projects for an autistic school.  One of them was where pockets were built within the wall and had Sony TV's installed, then plexi with holes for ventilation on top.  Couple of other rooms and areas used TV Armor setups.

I like the protective housing idea.  I have a special needs daughter and can understand how this can happen, although she has not damaged TVs.  What about just a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the TV that just covers the front - would that be sufficient protection?  Then you don't have to worry about venting.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I like the protective housing idea.  I have a special needs daughter and can understand how this can happen, although she has not damaged TVs.  What about just a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the TV that just covers the front - would that be sufficient protection?  Then you don't have to worry about venting.

But the front added plexi could flex allowing the force of the impact through to the TV surface. Similar to a broken rib from a bullet proof vest.
Thrown empty can it would probably work, full can likely still going to break the inner screen.

True. In addition most plexi glass versions tend to yellow in uv light too.

But it's all dependant on what you're willing to pay. As standard TV was already chosen over an outdoor TV, I am assuming cost matters.

If it doesn't - well there's cases out there that will take a hit from a bullet better than a bullet proof vest...or can get hit by a pickup truck and be ok

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'm not wanting to spend a huge amount, mostly because there's still a chance it will get damaged. My concern with the plexiglass protectors is that it's going to be very reflective and not great for outdoor viewing, even through it's not in direct sunlight. Are there outdoor appropriate (matte) screen protectors available?

For the record, we've had 3 TVs damaged so far.

1. The first to go was a C9 LG 77" OLED. This one was the heart breaker. The LG OLEDs are extremely fragile and it completely failed with a minimal impact. I replaced it with with a 83" C2 OLED and protected it by putting a 1/2"-thick foam strip around the screen perimeter and then put a TVGuard plexiglass cover in front of that, leaving an protective gap between the plexiglass cover and the screen. Hopefully that's enough protection.
  2. The second was a crack in the screen of a very cheap 42" Samsung from a thrown Xbox controller. It still works but is slightly annoying.
  3. The latest is the 8-year-old 55" LG LCD described above (chipped screen, still working but annoying.)

If the issue is more scratches, then there's matte stick on screen protectors. They're cheap (easily sub 100 regardless of screen size) but won't do much for impact.

Have a look and ask for a quote here: https://www.lcdenclosures.com/portfolio/lcd-screen-guard

It's nothing special looking by any means, but last time I had to order one it was under 150 (it's been some time mind you) - and does a decent job against impact - not sure on glare on them but these were used in a super bright room (indoor hockey training room) and were a non issue there (and yes withstood those pucks)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Furrion TVs are the way to go. They are fairly reasonably priced as outdoor TVs go. More importantly, they have impact-resistant tempered glass screens. And 4-year extended “accident coverage” from Amazon is about $200, which for me is worth the cost if it actually pays out when something breaks. 

Any idea if there is a C4 Driver for these?

spacer.png

I also came across Mirage Vision, which is a Las Vegas-based company I have not seen mentioned here before. They purchase standard Samsung TVs and waterproof them for outdoor use. Mirage Vision TVs are more expensive than Furrion TVs, but less expensive than Samsung's outdoor TVs.

Only the most expensive Samsung Mini-LED models come in enclosures with additional screen protection, so Mirage Vision probably is not the best fit for what I need. But they are an interesting alternative.

On 7/4/2023 at 1:59 PM, WhyPhy said:

I think the Furrion TVs are the way to go. They are fairly reasonably priced as outdoor TVs go. More importantly, they have impact-resistant tempered glass screens. And 4-year extended “accident coverage” from Amazon is about $200, which for me is worth the cost if it actually pays out when something breaks. 

Any idea if there is a C4 Driver for these?

spacer.png

If you look at their materials for their 2023 version it says they support Control4, but I haven’t personally looked to see if there is a driver. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.