C4 Forums | Control4

Replacing Araknis hardware with Ubiquiti

Much of it comes down to the cost of entry, exclusives and job security.
If you have the related Certification, than you're going to spec their hardware, in part to lock out those that don't have Certification.
It's a Union thing.

24 minutes ago, therockhr said:

That and the "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" corporate mentality. Cisco is always a safe bet for networking. Even if they had lots of problems no one would get in trouble or question why you would go with Cisco.

Not really the case these days. Cisco is not the defecto vendor anymore, there's lots of others taking their market space. They're loosing a lot of ground to Fortinet (mostly firewalls) and Aruba in the wifi space.

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

LOL. Troll post.

Sorry if I came across this way.  Had a local dealer over today that informed me with C4 launching Connect that networks have to be on Araknsis with the ports labeled and a wiring diagram uploaded to drop box, so the C4 techs have access to the “in and out” of system when contacted.  This Diamond dealer told me that issue with Ubiquiti was getting product during the pandemic and lack of human tech support—but had no issues otherwise with Ubiquiti.

PS long time > 11 year lurker on this forum, that I decided to sign up (11 yr C4 customer). 

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

That and the "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" corporate mentality. Cisco is always a safe bet for networking. Even if they had lots of problems no one would get in trouble or question why you would go with Cisco.

That mentality is changing. But it still doesn't me I would pick unify. I would pick fortinet before unifi 

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

That mentality is changing. But it still doesn't me I would pick unify. I would pick fortinet before unifi 

I thought this was in general but yes in terms of firewalling, no disagreement there.

49 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

Sorry if I came across this way.  Had a local dealer over today that informed me with C4 launching Connect that networks have to be on Araknsis with the ports labeled and a wiring diagram uploaded to drop box, so the C4 techs have access to the “in and out” of system when contacted.  This Diamond dealer told me that issue with Ubiquiti was getting product during the pandemic and lack of human tech support—but had no issues otherwise with Ubiquiti.

PS long time > 11 year lurker on this forum, that I decided to sign up (11 yr C4 customer). 

Connect is simply the new (required) 4Sight and that won't have any Araknis requirements (remember, OVRCPro is built into C4 controllers).

ASSIST which is the higher tier option may (sort of) have that, I wouldn't know the details as non of this is rolling out in our region for now (US only) so I haven't dug into it. Assist gives (certified for it) dealers added remote assist options as well as direct C4 support access. If nothing else, I expect added C4 direct support on networking issues will have requirements (such as using araknis/pakedge and other OVRC enabled devices) to at least some degree and may have specific equipment they wont support: i doubt it'll mean they won't support other troubleshooting however.

And no I certainly wouldn't suggest Eero either, bu that's just me.

Also, as an Epic/Gold/Diamond dealer employee: don't fall over your dealer being Diamond or otherwise: that is 95% based on sales volumes, and the other 5% is a handful of requirements on certification and number of certified employees - non of which make ANY guarantee on the actual working knowledge they have. Not in any way saying that the dealer you're talking to is bad - any more than I'm saying they're good.

As for labelling (at least important) ports and having wiring diagrams accessible (in general terms), well that's just proper setup really.

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

for home, I would pick unifi....got both and the unifi is a lot easier to deal with.

7 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I would say most would for a corporate setting as well but what about real estate or insurance offices with like 5-10 people. i think this is where unifi fits in (along with the home market).

On 4/23/2024 at 10:11 AM, pinkoos said:

Speaking of Ubiquiti - they just released the new Dream Machine Pro Max

https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/23/dream-machine-pro-max/

I just picked that up as my new router, interesting that Ubiquiti tech support is included now.  Is this new, as I thought this was a downfall for Ubiquiti? OverC Pro-Giga hub support document states that the Unfi switch line is supported—why wouldn’t C4 provide support? It was on the unsupported  ‘black list’ in the past.  

54 minutes ago, IBZICON said:

I just picked that up as my new router, interesting that Ubiquiti tech support is included now.  Is this new, as I thought this was a downfall for Ubiquiti? OverC Pro-Giga hub support document states that the Unfi switch line is supported—why wouldn’t C4 provide support? It was on the unsupported  ‘black list’ in the past.  

Most POE switches are OVRC compatible. Thats not the same as control4 given technical support to 3rd party advanced configs they would never be able to keep up with. They dont want to walk you through Cisco configs either.    

Paid Unifi technical support is a result of their growth, profits and heavy site implementation.