C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 to Core 3 Upgrade

onfo

Question

Hello, first time poster here.  I did some searching but didn't find anything on point - sorry in advance if I missed it or am not following protocol.

I recently purchased a home with a C4 install from ~2016.  It's running a HC800, and we're (my wife) are struggling with the user interface on the iPhone app.  We really only use C4 to stream spotify from our phones across ~7 zones, and we also have a surround sound setup that we use to watch our Roku on a Samsung TV.  C4 feels like overkill given our use, but I'm told it's really the only viable option short of getting a bunch of Sonos Amps, and a Port for the surround sound receiver.  I was speaking with a local C4 rep who suggested we upgrade to a Core3, which, together with install/programming time could be done for around $2,000.  

My question for this esteemed group is whether an upgrade makes sense.  Will the only change be user experience of using the app?  Or is there anything else we'll notice.  I thought I read somewhere that HC800 didn't support 4k video, so, if true, would our TV picture improve if running a ROKU through the C4? If your view is we should upgrade, do you agree that Core 3 makes sense vs. Core 5 (which is double the price)?  Any thoughts on buying a used Core3?

Thanks for your help!

13 answers to this question

We went from hc800 to core 3 

just get your dealer or C4 to confirm the core3 will run your system with no issues 

we have had and are having a few issues ~ our system is not the biggest and C4 keep saying we should have 

a core 5 ~ however we say we will buy a core5 if C4 will confirm we will have no more issues ~ C4 in 

the UK refuse to put this in writing 

Our dealer and us are getting a bit confused by C4 stance 

14 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We went from hc800 to core 3 

just get your dealer or C4 to confirm the core3 will run your system with no issues 

we have had and are having a few issues ~ our system is not the biggest and C4 keep saying we should have 

a core 5 ~ however we say we will buy a core5 if C4 will confirm we will have no more issues ~ C4 in 

the UK refuse to put this in writing 

Our dealer and us are getting a bit confused by C4 stance 

there is no computing difference between CORE 1, 3 or  5.  Their stance doesn’t make any sense. 

CORRECTION - CORE 5 does have more RAM but same CPU as the rest. 

3 hours ago, onfo said:

I thought I read somewhere that HC800 didn't support 4k video, so, if true, would our TV picture improve if running a ROKU through the C4?

Well let's get that out of the way: HC800 won't even do onscreen at the current version, but that's the only thing it uses video for: Your roku may be controlled via C4 but it's not running THROUGH the controller: it doesn't influence your picture quality in any way shape or form.

3 hours ago, onfo said:

but I'm told it's really the only viable option short of getting a bunch of Sonos Amps, and a Port

You're not wrong, unless you want to blast sound everywhere all the time, at teh same volume, all the time, then yes staying with the C4 setup is likely the most cost effective.

3 hours ago, onfo said:

we upgrade to a Core3

Sigh. Well it's certainly not needed, though I can't completely disagree with doing an update because your system is 'stuck' at a max of 3.3.0 software (and we're past that point) - and audio quality is better on the Core as well.

3 hours ago, onfo said:

are struggling with the user interface on the iPhone app

Take up @msgreenf on his offer. If all you do is listen to spotify, C4 can be setup to basically only use the spotify app for 90% of the time.

29 minutes ago, therockhr said:

there is no computing difference between CORE 1, 3 or  5.  Their stance doesn’t make any sense. 

There is though. CPU is the same, but RAM amount is not, and if memory serves, much like EA, the Core1 doesn't have a separate audio card, and the Core5 has two offloading all audio handling from the CPU.

That said a system that ran fine on an HC800 should run fine on a Core3 all else equal.

I had a major issue going from my HC800 to Core5.  The project wouldn't migrate from the 800 to the 5.  I basically had to load the project on a EA3, register that as my main controller, and then migrate from the EA3 to the Core 5.  It was a huge pain, tech support said it's somewhat common, but I've never heard of it before.  Just an FYI.

It’s because of the software limitations going from an HC 800 to a core controller. I believe all Cores have a minimum software 3.3.1, therefore you have to transfer the project to An Ea controller. Pain I know but it’s the only way 

45 minutes ago, neil12011 said:

I had a major issue going from my HC800 to Core5.  The project wouldn't migrate from the 800 to the 5.  I basically had to load the project on a EA3, register that as my main controller, and then migrate from the EA3 to the Core 5.  It was a huge pain, tech support said it's somewhat common, but I've never heard of it before.  Just an FYI.

It is common and is supposed to be improvements coming to migration wizard to make this better 

1 hour ago, neil12011 said:

As said, it's mismatching max/min OS. Honestly easier is to just back up, load back up in virtual 3.3.0 delete the HC800, back up again, load backup in virtual that Core is currently on, back up again and load on Core.

So far out 9 of 10 just reconnected all zigbee, the only exception being one that had just remotes for 3 adjacent rooms and nothing else for ZigBee 🤷‍♂️YMMV

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It is common and is supposed to be improvements coming to migration wizard to make this better 

That's the plan I've heard as well, but migration wizard has always been the slow way to begin with....

10 hours ago, Cyknight said:

There is though. CPU is the same, but RAM amount is not, and if memory serves, much like EA, the Core1 doesn't have a separate audio card, and the Core5 has two offloading all audio handling from the CPU.

That said a system that ran fine on an HC800 should run fine on a Core3 all else equal.

CORE 1 has a separate audio card for the digital output this time. CORE LITE is the only one that does not. 

With the EA line there was no difference in RAM between the 3 controllers but the EA-5 had a little better CPU than the 1 or 3 which had the same CPU. On the CORE line it looks like all 3 have same CPU but 5 has more RAM so yes that could make a difference. 

In case anyone is wondering, we upgraded the system to OS 3.3.0 today. We set up individual room versions of the Spotify driver and the customer is very happy. We did have to remove an HC 250 but the TV it was using IR was a Samsung and had an IP driver. No blood in the upgrade. A few hundred dollars in labor and we moved on. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

In case anyone is wondering, we upgraded the system to OS 3.3.0 today. We set up individual room versions of the Spotify driver and the customer is very happy. We did have to remove an HC 250 but the TV it was using IR was a Samsung and had an IP driver. No blood in the upgrade. A few hundred dollars in labor and we moved on. 

Nice. Good to hear when solutions like this happen. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Big thanks to @msgreenf for the creative solution to my problem and for saving me a decent bit of money!  Moreover, given the elegant solution to using Spotify with C4, we're now exploring other options for C4 in our home (baby steps!)  Looking forward to participating more in this community and thanks for the warm welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.