C4 Forums | Control4

What in this list is possible before I decide on Control4 system?

I come from a programming background and I underrtand that you need a licensed C4 installer to do the installs. However, I would be able to do a lot of modification and programming in Composer HE. 

But I have following questions which I havent really found a proper answer for, so maybe someone could help me answer the following:

Sensors:
Is it possible to group several sensors into 1 variable, so that I could do programming such as IF(movement,anysensorAND(past 9pm),THEN(turnonlights). 

Timers:
Can I have a running timer that starts on an action, and then just keeps going back to 0 if that action repeats itself. If using the Anysensor variable from previous example. Could I have a timer that starts counting if the "turnonlights" function starts. And then every time there is another motion on any of the sensors, the counter goes to 0. Once the counter hits 600 seconds, then the turnofflights function is excecuted.

Screens:
Can the screens detect motion as in if someone comes infront of it? If so, is it possible for a screen to show a specific camera if you just walk up to it. Or if not then it would be possible to do it off a motion sensor?

You will get input from some of the pros on this forum but everything your asking should be doable given you have the right setup. 

for example, you will need some type of sensor to know if someone walked in front of your screen. 

As @C4 User says, most of this is possible (and there are usually various ways of doing it).

Grouping sensors - some security system drivers do this for you.  Failing this, use the Domosapiens security enhancements driver which allows you to create something like 20 (may even be more) different sensor groups.

Timers - what you describe can be done with simple programming or use the Domosapiens Advanced Lighting Timer driver.  I have never used the latter (as I set up my own programming before this driver existed) but people rave about it and I have been meaning to try it out for ages.

Screens - you will need a separate motion sensor to accomplish what you want.  You can then program the screen to jump to a given camera when motion is sensed.

Edited by South Africa C4 user

14 hours ago, r0n41d0 said:

I come from a programming background and I underrtand that you need a licensed C4 installer to do the installs. However, I would be able to do a lot of modification and programming in Composer HE. 

But I have following questions which I havent really found a proper answer for, so maybe someone could help me answer the following:

Sensors:
Is it possible to group several sensors into 1 variable, so that I could do programming such as IF(movement,anysensorAND(past 9pm),THEN(turnonlights). 

Timers:
Can I have a running timer that starts on an action, and then just keeps going back to 0 if that action repeats itself. If using the Anysensor variable from previous example. Could I have a timer that starts counting if the "turnonlights" function starts. And then every time there is another motion on any of the sensors, the counter goes to 0. Once the counter hits 600 seconds, then the turnofflights function is excecuted.

Screens:
Can the screens detect motion as in if someone comes infront of it? If so, is it possible for a screen to show a specific camera if you just walk up to it. Or if not then it would be possible to do it off a motion sensor?

1) See above

2) I have timers set to when action happens start timer, if timer running restart timer. Use this for bathroom lights. 

3) Touchscreen or TV screens? I don't use the touchscreens for cameras, I have a NVR wired as a source to my AV setup. I do have when doorbell pressed press pause on TVs and pull up doorbell camera for 30 sec then back to previous source and wait. Some really fun stuff if can do!

On 1/7/2024 at 9:46 AM, Neo1738 said:

1) See above

2) I have timers set to when action happens start timer, if timer running restart timer. Use this for bathroom lights. 

3) Touchscreen or TV screens? I don't use the touchscreens for cameras, I have a NVR wired as a source to my AV setup. I do have when doorbell pressed press pause on TVs and pull up doorbell camera for 30 sec then back to previous source and wait. Some really fun stuff if can do!

I don’t think there is a way to make a Control4 touchscreen — as opposed to a TV screen — jump to a specific camera programmatically, but I would love to be proven wrong.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:02 PM, r0n41d0 said:

Sensors:

Timers:

Screens:

Sensors: Yes this is possible, though the structure is going to be different from what you may be used to (as will a lot of the programming.

In your case, it's not IF (sensor sees movement).

It's WHEN sensors A sees movement, start timer.  sensor b would be programmed to simply trigger the same timer Separately you have on WHEN timer starts, turn on lights/lighting scene etc

Timers: Well timers go up in C4 not down, and you send the end 'time' for a timer. But yes you can easily do this, in fact 'start timer as per above does in fact reset the timer.

All of the above can be done in multiple ways by the way, I just put in one of the most simple ways of achieving the most simple version of what you're asking for. (in more advanced cases you can use a Macro and trigger that same Macro from each sensor, or create a true/false or counter variable that the motions each trigger/add to.......there's lots of option in CompoerHE to program a lot of things, just know that the methodology is going to be different from using 'regular' programming languages as C4's Composer is more of a graphic interface type of programming (you don't actually ever TYPE programming in Control4)

Screen: While you can trigger a screen to go to a specific camera, there is no motion to use for programming in the screens so yes yu'd have to use a different trigger (motion or otherwise)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.