C4 Forums | Control4

Halo Remotes Experiencing Intermittent Lagging

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out with this. My halo remotes seem to at time lag and build up a backlog of button presses which makes it difficult to navigate. The commands do not get lost; however, they can be significantly delayed. This is not happening 100% of the time.

Anyone know what might be causing this and how I might fix it? I read somewhere that there could be memory leak issues in some drivers that could cause this. If this is the case how would I go about identifying the memory leaks from the logs? What logs need to be reviewed? Any other tests or suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope to get my system running smoothly again.

Peter

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Halo lag is a bit of a known issue w work on it in progress 

On a small one room system with no IP drivers, I have noticed a ~2 sec lag from selecting watch TV from a Halo vs a SR260/C4 app from when the TV turns on... 

I only occasionally experienced an issue with button press lag on the Halo, and it was resolved by rebooting the remote. However, as soon as I installed the Home Connect for Apple Home driver, the lag became constant with both the Halo Touch remote and the C4 Mobile app. I rebooted the remote and the director/controller and the lag continued. The Home Connect app wasn't even configured or connected to a Homebridge server. As soon as I uninstalled the Home Connect app, the lag was gone.

I updated my post above. It wasn't an issue with 3.4.1 but rather an issue with the Home Connect for Apple Home driver. I later reinstalled and configured the Home Connect driver and experienced no delay/lag issues with the remote. I'm not exactly sure what caused or solved the issue.

It doesn’t seem quite as bad from the app but there does seem to be intermittent lag. The difference is that the command is not saved and executed on delay it is simply lost and needs to be resent. This could be a separate issue though. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

thanks again for the help.

2 hours ago, SouthernTurkey said:

It doesn’t seem quite as bad from the app but there does seem to be intermittent lag. The difference is that the command is not saved and executed on delay it is simply lost and needs to be resent. This could be a separate issue though. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

thanks again for the help.

Hmm. LOST commands on the app are most commonly network/wifi/connection issues. Unlike dedicated C4 devices, the app can't (or at least doesn't) 'store' commands as it doesn't wait for a reply from the system to confirm reception.

Of course, network/wifi/connectivity is a huge broad range that doesn't eliminate a lot. Indeed it could even still be drivers that are causing the main controller to 'freeze' and not respond (which would fall under connectivity)

Continue to work on networking setup and minimize interference. I do have UNIFI UDM SE which I know has had a history of some issues with C4 but seems to be mostly fine. 

Are there any specific logs I can/should review to look for potential memory leaks or other driver issues?

Thanks

Lol. Yeah sorry what I meant there is I’m still working on fine tuning my Aps channels and signal strengths. Have neighbors that keep switching channels which can make it tough but utilization still seems low. 

I followed some best practices to optimize for control 4 and it seems to have paid off. I have no known issues at this point but I continue to look at it in case some of my issues could possibly be network related, but I have no reason to believe that at this point.

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2024 at 8:32 AM, msgreenf said:

Halo lag is a bit of a known issue w work on it in progress 

I am also experiencing intermittent lag on a Halo Touch. Rebooting the Halo Touch completely eliminates the lag - temporarily. That is, immediately after rebooting the Halo Touch, the system responds to button pushes in a manner I describe as instantaneous. This suggests to me that the lag happens within the Halo Touch; i.e. it is a lag between pressing a button on the remote and the remote sending the command over the network. When the lag creeps back into play, it feels like 1-2 seconds pass between pushing a button on the remote and the system responding; i.e. push the "menu" button the remote and the menu opens on the source 1-2 seconds later. Reboot the Halo Touch and try the menu selection again and the menu opens instantly after pushing the menu button.

I hope to receive updates on the progress of resolving this issue.

12 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Correct. What OS version for C4 home OS?

Our EA3 processor is on: c4firmware Version 3.3.3.660628-res

I recently asked my dealer to update the firmware and the dealer advised against updating the firmware because - apparently - none of the changes in the firmware pertain to the Halo remote and the dealer is opposed to doing firmware updates remotely.

Note: in addition to having issues with intermittent delayed response to Halo Touch commands (which can be temporarily resolved by rebooting the Halo Touch), our system occasionally ends up in a state where there is little or no ability to control it via the Halo Touch or the C4 iPhone application. I have found that the only solution to resolve the complete loss of control is to reboot our EA3 processor. I've taken this up with our dealer and their response was "it must be your network". However, we are not experiencing any evident network issues and the inability to control our system is only resolved by rebooting the EA3; i.e. rebooting network devices (e.g. WAP, switch, router, doesn't help at all) - the inability to control is only resolved by rebooting the EA3. The dealer has not done any troubleshooting; blaming the problems on our network is, in my opinion, jumping to conclusions and a blame game.

Do you recommend that I pursue an update to the EA3 firmware?

17 minutes ago, PumpUpVolume said:

I recently asked my dealer to update the firmware and the dealer advised against updating the firmware because - apparently - none of the changes in the firmware pertain to the Halo remote and the dealer is opposed to doing firmware updates remotely.

Note: in addition to having issues with intermittent delayed response to Halo Touch commands (which can be temporarily resolved by rebooting the Halo Touch), our system occasionally ends up in a state where there is little or no ability to control it via the Halo Touch or the C4 iPhone application. I have found that the only solution to resolve the complete loss of control is to reboot our EA3 processor. I've taken this up with our dealer and their response was "it must be your network". However, we are not experiencing any evident network issues and the inability to control our system is only resolved by rebooting the EA3; i.e. rebooting network devices (e.g. WAP, switch, router, doesn't help at all) - the inability to control is only resolved by rebooting the EA3. The dealer has not done any troubleshooting; blaming the problems on our network is, in my opinion, jumping to conclusions and a blame game.

Yes their “go to” is “network problems” even when every other network device is working properly. We have two homes w C4 and all T4 screens have been rma’d at least once, all neeos were buggy and we’ve had issues with a Core 3 and a Core 1 (both rma’d). I have a test halo touch and it isn’t ready for prime time. Laggy, has same charging issue as many neeos, ie not sitting on charging station properly and other glitches. To get things fixed you have to write to the President of SnapOne. 

29 minutes ago, PumpUpVolume said:

Yes. I would update to 3.4.0

On 4/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, PumpUpVolume said:

Thank you. I will pursue the OS update with our dealer. I will post an update here when the update is done and we have some experience with the updated system.

The OS on our EA3 was updated to 3.4.0 today. I'll post back in a while once we've used the Halo Touch in the updated environment for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, PumpUpVolume said:

The OS on our EA3 was updated to 3.4.0 today. I'll post back in a while once we've used the Halo Touch in the updated environment for a while.

Based on our experience with the Halo over the last three weeks compared to our experience before updating the OS on the EA3 processor, I have to conclude that updating the EA3 OS was helpful; the Halo remote has worked nearly flawlessly since the EA3 OS was updated. Fingers crossed...