C4 Forums | Control4

New Portable 7" Touchscreen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't wait for this TS to get released.. If you don't like it don't buy it.. its pretty simple.. the TS runs flash and offers more features then the iPad so no the iPad is NOT better. PS it has a camera so Control4 has built in video chat and some other stuff will get announced tomorrow ;) there are some good reasons to buy this TS

i can't wait for this TS to get released.. If you don't like it don't buy it.. its pretty simple.. the TS runs flash and offers more features then the iPad so no the iPad is NOT better. PS it has a camera so Control4 has built in video chat and some other stuff will get announced tomorrow ;) there are some good reasons to buy this TS

PS the ipad2 has 2 cameras and some "other stuff"

The Ipad 2 is not better in terms of C4 functionality.

The TS is not better in terms of non-C4 functionality, and its double the cost.

Hopefully any good dealer will let there clients make an informed decision!

The TS is not better in terms of non-C4 functionality' date=' and its double the cost.

Hopefully any good dealer will let there clients make an informed decision![/quote']

I have to say I'm with Kevin on this one. I prefer a C4 touchscreen to an iPad with C4 App. Even at twice the cost.

I'm not going to argue this point with anybody, so please don't ask me to.

To each his/her own.

The TS is not better in terms of non-C4 functionality' date=' and its double the cost.

Hopefully any good dealer will let there clients make an informed decision![/quote']

I have to say I'm with Kevin on this one. I prefer a C4 touchscreen to an iPad with C4 App. Even at twice the cost.

I'm not going to argue this point with anybody, so please don't ask me to.

To each his/her own.

Agree!

Another product that is going to be shoved down customers throats because dealers make good money on it.

They even have marketing materials for dealers to use showing the customer the cost of it against an ipad setup (if bought from the ground up).

Show us your market research that proves customers want this product (over any other) and I will not criticize this release. I am skeptical.

This one dimensional $1K tablet will be dead on arrival. (Oh wait, it has a camera so my wife can see if I have boogers in my nose...rolls eyes)

How about you make something like a simple audio/video capable baby monitor? I bet that would sell more...

Ummm if this thing has video intercom, can run video camera feeds from something like the EV security spy driver, and is about the same size as the old Sonos handhelds, I can see myself actually finding a use for these things.

I actually think they are a good idea. Finally C4 might have come up with a good mix of functions in a touchscreen :)

Portable video conferencing....now that is an attractive proposition. I like any device that adds funtionality and is portable...that can be taken with me to my next place..

mmm... I can see myself replacing my Sonos controllers with these...

Ah..Ummm at 1K, you guys's don't know how lucky you are...

When are they available?... and can they be installed with ComposerHE? (Just kiddin Ryan).... :)

my 2 cents, not that anyone cares......

It's a great idea!!! I really want one. We have a pool house and putting this outside to control the TV, 2 audio zones, lights and the pool would be great! On top of that an intercom that allows me to call into the house for beer and ketchup, another plus. And since it's portable, I can lock it up when no one is home or use it in the house during the winter. And its dedicated, so the kids won't use it for iPad games.....

Now the bad news. $1000 is just to high of a margin. And on top of that they want another $399 for intercom (which I am sure is tied to the whole home intercom license, which I still think is robbery. I'm very upset at the cost, and will probably wait till next summer to see if the price drops (of course it still won't be available since its a new product).

Then again for half the cost I can get a wall mounted TP in the pool house....... decisions, decisions

Now if C4 has an upgrade for the old 7" to the new....I'm definitely in!!

At $999, your paying an extra $100 for portability and all the extra functionality vs. the In wall 7" Infinity Edge TS. The intercom license is a site license and was reduced from $499 I believe. So you buy it once and use it for in wall's and the portable. The more intercom deives you have the less it cost per device.

Price is right in my opin.

At $999, your paying an extra $100 for portability and all the extra functionality vs. the In wall 7" Infinity Edge TS. The intercom license is a site license and was reduced from $499 I believe. So you buy it once and use it for in wall's and the portable. The more intercom deives you have the less it cost per device.

Price is right in my opin.

Either sell it at $700 or include the intercom feature and I think these would give the iPad some competition.

These things will sell like hot cakes. Not everyone is on the Apple bandwagon and some folks refuse to use their products. This might have been said but if you have the intercom license already you don't need to buy it again. Why do you think they should give you the intercom license with the portable they don't give it to you when you buy the in-wall model for about the same price. This is great I will have one so when I am on my deck I can call into the house for another beer....cant do that with a ipad

I think most of the frustration from the consumers on this forum comes from the feeling that Control4 has been completely ignoring the main building blocks of its home automation system. We have waited for seemingly forever for C4 to update its home controller line to include HDMI output, and they come out with a very niche product like this portable touchscreen instead. An updated controller line would be met with applause on this board. An affordable and functional HDMI switcher or an improved C4 media player would have everyone drooling. Sure, you can make the argument that someone will buy this portable touchscreen, and I'm sure they will sell some of these. But this new release has everyone asking,

huh_139.jpg

Now if they came up with a sleek new thermostat that also could do humidity control and didn't look like a 1990's box, that would sell like hotcakes.

Yes, but retro is in right now. What's worng with a round HON-style, fully automated (silver, not gold because nobody does gold trim) unit?

I think most of the frustration from the consumers on this forum comes from the feeling that Control4 has been completely ignoring the main building blocks of its home automation system. We have waited for seemingly forever for C4 to update its home controller line to include HDMI output, and they come out with a very niche product like this portable touchscreen instead. An updated controller line would be met with applause on this board. An affordable and functional HDMI switcher or an improved C4 media player would have everyone drooling. Sure, you can make the argument that someone will buy this portable touchscreen, and I'm sure they will sell some of these. But this new release has everyone asking,

Video intercom from the doorstation? How is that a niche product? I've seen scores of people asking for that functionality.

An iPad isn't half the cost, at least not with a Control4 license. 499 + 300 = 800 for just a control point. 1000 for this control point. yes, Control4 hardware will cost more than Apple hardware, Control4 doesn't have the economy of scale Apple does, but video intercom for 200 dollars more? Yes, please.

And on the note of new controllers, you seem to believe that since Control4 announced this portable that proves they aren't developing new controllers with HDMI. Have any proof of this? Because all other signs point that they are, except for your assumption.

I think most of the frustration from the consumers on this forum comes from the feeling that Control4 has been completely ignoring the main building blocks of its home automation system. We have waited for seemingly forever for C4 to update its home controller line to include HDMI output' date=' and they come out with a very niche product like this portable touchscreen instead. An updated controller line would be met with applause on this board. An affordable and functional HDMI switcher or an improved C4 media player would have everyone drooling. Sure, you can make the argument that someone will buy this portable touchscreen, and I'm sure they will sell some of these. But this new release has everyone asking,[/quote']

Video intercom from the doorstation? How is that a niche product? I've seen scores of people asking for that functionality.

An iPad isn't half the cost, at least not with a Control4 license. 499 + 300 = 800 for just a control point. 1000 for this control point. yes, Control4 hardware will cost more than Apple hardware, Control4 doesn't have the economy of scale Apple does, but video intercom for 200 dollars more? Yes, please.

And on the note of new controllers, you seem to believe that since Control4 announced this portable that proves they aren't developing new controllers with HDMI. Have any proof of this? Because all other signs point that they are, except for your assumption.

Unfortunately the Infinity Edge TS's do not currently have a camera.

Archived