C4 Forums | Control4

Is It Possible To Use The Same Word In Voice Scenes To Do Different Things

I would like to walk into a room with a lamp and say "turn on the lamp" without adding the 'room name' before 'lamp'. I would like to do this with all other duplicate devices in other all my rooms. I tried making different voice scenes in composer, then I made room groups in the Amazon app but after adding the scenes to the individual groups and changing the original scene names to the same name (lamp), one echo will control both lamps and the other will stop controlling either, even though the original scene name is unchanged in composer (when changing just one scene name in the Amazon app, it will control the original scene name with the new name). Is there a way to use the same word in different rooms?

1 hour ago, Aayush Arya said:

OP, what you're asking isn't possible to do. Please search the forum and you'll find existing topics where this is discussed at length.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Technically, it is possible if you put an Alexa device in each room and use the Epic systems driver (assuming your OS version and the Epic systems driver version are comparabilie).  You then need to link each Alexa device to a separate Amazon account and a separate instance of the driver... That was my setup until the Epic Systems driver started to struggle with comparability with the Amazon software and/or the C4 OS.  I moved to native C4 after that and the 2 things I lost were speed and this functionality (holy grail of voice control).

Actually I found a way to do it. Each Room/Dot gets its own Amazon account. Then each duplicate device in Voice Scene gets a period after its name (Amazon doesn't recognize the periods) so it can be recognized and programmed against in Composer. I have three lamps in my home so in Voice Scene they are Lamp., Lamp.. and Lamp... . After they are programmed and you have run Discover Devices for each Room/Dot you will then have to login to each Amazon account and under Smart Home remove the duplicate devices you don't want the Room/Dot to control. So in my first bedroom I deleted Lamp.. and Lamp... . In my second bedroom i deleted Lamp. and Lamp... . You can do this for anything you want to use the same Voice Scene name for. In Composer I have eight rooms that are in alphabetical order. Each period after a duplicate Voice Scene name represents what room it belongs to. If the first room was getting a duplicate Voice Scene name it would have one period after the duplicate name (Room.). If the eighth room was getting a duplicate Voice Scene name it would have eight periods after the name (Room........). Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Or are you using Ari's driver?

That’s the only way that I know to do this! But that would not require all the “.’s” so sounds like @Baubas Cat is talking about something that I (for one) have never heard of, but would be interested in if it is genuinely with the Voice Scene driver.  I just can’t see how!

Each Dot needs its own Amazon Account from the Amazon website. You have to make a different email for each Amazon Account/Dot . Then you have your single Voice Scene driver in Composer. Next you have to add the Control4 Skill to each Amazon Account/Dot you created with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/. Next Discover Devices for each Amazon Account you created with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/ or at each individual Dot. Each Amazon Account/Dot will get the same Voice Scene names from Composer because each Control4 Skill in your Amazon Accounts will be linked to the same Control4 Account, that's why you need the periods after the duplicate names. Then you have to login to each Amazon Account that you made with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/ and under Smart Home - Scenes remove the duplicate Scenes you don't want that Room/Dot/Account to control. If you remove all but one duplicate, Alexa can only trigger that Scene. So when you login to one of your Amazon Accounts with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/, under Smart Home - Scenes you will see all your Composer Voice Scenes like House - Music - Lamp. - Lamp.. - Lamp... so if you remove Lamp. and Lamp.. when you say "Alexa turn on the Lamp" it will trigger the Lamp... Scene because it's the only Lamp Scene under Smart Home - Scenes for that Account/Dot. When you login to your next Amazon Account/Dot it will have the same Composer Voice Scenes as before so you need to remove the duplicate Scenes again but this time you leave a different duplicate. So if you remove Lamp.. and Lamp... when you say "Alexa turn on the Lamp" it will trigger the Lamp. . If you don't remove the duplicates from each Amazon Account, Alexa will trigger only the first duplicate Scene.

5 minutes ago, Baubas Cat said:

Each Dot needs its own Amazon Account from the Amazon website. You have to make a different email for each Amazon Account/Dot . Then you have your single Voice Scene driver in Composer. Next you have to add the Control4 Skill to each Amazon Account/Dot you created with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/. Next Discover Devices for each Amazon Account you created with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/ or at each individual Dot. Each Amazon Account/Dot will get the same Voice Scene names from Composer because each Control4 Skill in your Amazon Accounts will be linked to the same Control4 Account, that's why you need the periods after the duplicate names. Then you have to login to each Amazon Account that you made with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/ and under Smart Home - Scenes remove the duplicate Scenes you don't want that Room/Dot/Account to control. If you remove all but one duplicate, Alexa can only trigger that Scene. So when you login to one of your Amazon Accounts with the Amazon app or at https://alexa.amazon.com/, under Smart Home - Scenes you will see all your Composer Voice Scenes like House - Music - Lamp. - Lamp.. - Lamp... so if you remove Lamp. and Lamp.. when you say "Alexa turn on the Lamp" it will trigger the Lamp... Scene because it's the only Lamp Scene under Smart Home - Scenes for that Account/Dot. When you login to your next Amazon Account/Dot it will have the same Composer Voice Scenes as before so you need to remove the duplicate Scenes again but this time you leave a different duplicate. So if you remove Lamp.. and Lamp... when you say "Alexa turn on the Lamp" it will trigger the Lamp. . If you don't remove the duplicates from each Amazon Account, Alexa will trigger only the first duplicate Scene.

Well done @Baubas Cat - seems like you have achieved something that we have all been saying is impossible.  I look forward to giving it a try next weekend...

I did something similar with three accounts but didn’t necessarily create voice scenes... once all devices and advance lighting scenes are discovered you can go into your Alexa.Amazon account and disable what ever devices you don’t triggered in that account... then rename the other devices in your Alexa.amazon account.  For example in my master bedroom account I renamed “master tv” to “tv” ....master fan to “fan” 

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Seems like a lot of work w a lot of downside as you cant do other core Alexa things on the devices aren't linked to your primary Amazon account

This is true but for rooms like bathrooms and bedrooms, especially guest bedrooms, it's nice to have simple voice control. My primary Amazon account is still linked to my Dots in my main living spaces. So far, for me, the biggest downside is that every time you Discover Devices on a Dot you have to go into that Dots account and remove the unwanted Scenes again.

2 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Honestly I don't see the huge deal with putting a word like "guest", "master", "kitchen", "bar" etc before light on/off etc. yeah it's another word but not that bad. Just make it intuitive.

It depends a little on how many rooms you have and how many loads per room.  I have over 150 loads spread over 13 or 14 rooms and it does become chaotic.

On 1/26/2020 at 6:18 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

It depends a little on how many rooms you have and how many loads per room.  I have over 150 loads spread over 13 or 14 rooms and it does become chaotic.

I guess if you want to nitty gritty every lamp/light but maybe consider scenes and use those so Kitchen morning, Study morning, etc. I think the biggest thing is try to keep things similar between rooms and only the room name changes. Again though adding 1 word adds less than a second though.

Check out JOSH.ai for voice control. The system knows where you are and allows you to speak normally, give multiple commands and without mentioning location. Multiple JOSH units are able to determine who is supposed to be listening. Plus, way more security and privacy. Full integration with Control4 as well. There are some great videos on their site and on youtube.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:45 PM, Baubas Cat said:

Echo Dot $35. JOSH.ai $14,000. I can deal with a few quirks from Alexa.

None of the Josh licenses are $14,000. Even a lifetime unlimited rooms license.

A few quirks? Do a quick google search on the vulnerabilities and privacy concerns. Plus, ask some of our clients if they really enjoy using Alexa. I bet not one of them would even consider using Alexa as a primary control interface. At best, its a gimmick that works sometimes and frustrating at others.

Josh.ai works and clients love how easy it is to communicate with it. It is solid enough to be a primary control interface so I don't need touch panels everywhere which designers love.

It's not for everyone, I get it. I don't make financial decisions for my clients though. Just because I might find something expensive personally, doesn't mean one of my clients won't value the benefits of a secure voice control system that works. When you start removing touch panels and do the math, all of a sudden the license costs aren't that bad. Plus, at 50 points, dealers are free to sell those at whatever price they want.

I was also wondering this.  We have a U by Moen Shower that we turn on with Alexa to different scenes based on husband/wife settings.  My husband would also like to listen to Sirius XM 80s on 8 when he takes a shower.  So I wondered if the Alexa only voice command (within Alexa only) to turn on shower to his settings could also be the C4 voice command to turn on 80s on 8.  NOt sure if we didn't do it right or if it didn't work.  We could do two voice commands, but with C4....WHY?

Any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.