C4 Forums | Control4

Cannot update I/O Extender

Hi everyone. I've recently connected an older I/O Extender to my system running OS 3.1.3. The update manager shows everything up-to-date except the I/O Extender (see attached image). The latter says "Unknown Version" and status "Connecting". Is there anything I can do here in order to update to the latest available version? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 4.48.52 PM.gif

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. I am running 3.1.3 and out of the box the IO Extender is running 2.8. SDDP finds it, I can add it to the project, I can even terminal into it from Composer ... but I can't patch the thing to 2.9.1. System Manager connects to it and I can change the IP etc. In Update Manager it shows "Connecting" and won't run an update. So it's certainly not offline. Was there ever a fix to this issue?

I have an IO extender in one of my racks (about 3 years old) that I never powered up. I’m now getting close to needing the additional IO’s in my rack and was going to power it up. After reading this, I’m wondering, has the IO Extender been replaced with a different device and if so, what is the newer device? Thank you.

I forget how long ago it was, you may have the newer one already, but they did at some point bring out an I/O V2 - but it is essentially the same, other than added PoE and some minor hardware changes due to parts not being manufactured. Oh and a slightly changed front panel look I suppose.

There is ZERO difference in function, reliability etc - it uses the same driver, and still is 'stuck' at 2.9.1 (not that it only means there's been no REASON to update them, a first step in a move by C4 to not have to update every device with new software version for the sake of matching number...)

I don't think folks are understanding. I cannot get to 2.9.1. Indeed, the Director is 3.1.3. If you look at the initial screenshot in this thread from OP, that is the exact behavior I am getting. Cyknight, you had told OP that he needs to get the device online. I am explaining that for all intents and purposes, the device IS online as it works, I can add it to the project, I can terminal into it via Composer, I can change the IP via System Manager, Composer even sees it in its login screen and identifies the software version correctly. Though, Update Manager won't let me update from 2.8.0 to 2.9.1. It sits there and spins saying "connecting" forever. I somewhat suspect this is fallout from the "no more password" situation or maybe a certificate issue. But it seems no one has run into this and we are oddballs. Maybe just time to toss a thread in the dealer forum or, ugh, make a call. I was hoping this was a quick/easy answer. C'est la vie.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I forget how long ago it was, you may have the newer one already, but they did at some point bring out an I/O V2 - but it is essentially the same, other than added PoE and some minor hardware changes due to parts not being manufactured. Oh and a slightly changed front panel look I suppose.

There is ZERO difference in function, reliability etc - it uses the same driver, and still is 'stuck' at 2.9.1 (not that it only means there's been no REASON to update them, a first step in a move by C4 to not have to update every device with new software version for the sake of matching number...)

Thank you. I will power it up and see what happens.

36 minutes ago, BubbaDuck said:

I don't think folks are understanding. I cannot get to 2.9.1. Indeed, the Director is 3.1.3. If you look at the initial screenshot in this thread from OP, that is the exact behavior I am getting. Cyknight, you had told OP that he needs to get the device online. I am explaining that for all intents and purposes, the device IS online as it works, I can add it to the project, I can terminal into it via Composer, I can change the IP via System Manager, Composer even sees it in its login screen and identifies the software version correctly. Though, Update Manager won't let me update from 2.8.0 to 2.9.1. It sits there and spins saying "connecting" forever. I somewhat suspect this is fallout from the "no more password" situation or maybe a certificate issue. But it seems no one has run into this and we are oddballs. Maybe just time to toss a thread in the dealer forum or, ugh, make a call. I was hoping this was a quick/easy answer. C'est la vie.

16 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

You'll likely need to use the device image updater to accomplish this.  It's on the dealer portal. 

That would be the next step indeed.

• 1 year later...

I didn't come to a resolution until recently. In the meant time, I used image updater to update the IOX to 2.9.1 however it was a build for a controller. This worked perfectly fine for the past year. Then, with Composer 3.2.3 there is a new IOX update. This updated perfectly fine from the old 2.9.1 build via Composer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just updated to OS 3.2.3 and my IO Extender (V1) stopped working. I can still re-add and re-link it to the project, the Update Manager still shows the same message as before (attached), but the blinds connected through Serial 1 no longer work. If I connect them to another serial port (EA-5 controller), everything works as expected. If anyone has any idea why OS 3.2.3 would cause this and what can be done, if anything, to make it work again, I'd truly appreciate it. 🙏

1885749833_ScreenShot2021-10-23at11_02_14AM.gif.3d9179abe0596aa4478e9a4c3f19ae8d.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.