C4 Forums | Control4

4 hours ago, StroTek LLC said:

ahh.. well the way I have it that definitely works.. Is U have names for my favorite channels programmed.. 

like Comedy central, or HGTV, ESPN

so my phrases are: "Alexa Set satellite to HGTV" and then I have code to set it to the right channel number

So I tried this and just cannot get it to work.

I can get Alexa, turn on ESPN to work with ESPN as the trigger but I cannot get Alexa set Satellite to ESpN to work with satellite as the trigger. As far as I can see, the string set value has to be a number between 1 and 100 just in string format which can be useful.

Anyway, turn on works great for me and I am busy making triggers for my main channels...

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As chopedogg88 said "echo only sends us a percentage value between 0 and 100 because it thinks it is controlling a dimmer." But that doesn't prevent you from having a list of channels, numbered one through 100 (although don't make it too long), that you can use and will, because of its usage, be memorized in not too much time. Local channels, at least in the US, all started with low numbers (the networks in our location are 4, 7 and 9); using those and a few other numbers for CNN, ESPN, etc. and you can easily have Alexa switch channels for you.

20 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

So I tried this and just cannot get it to work.

I can get Alexa, turn on ESPN to work with ESPN as the trigger but I cannot get Alexa set Satellite to ESpN to work with satellite as the trigger. As far as I can see, the string set value has to be a number between 1 and 100 just in string format which can be useful.

Anyway, turn on works great for me and I am busy making triggers for my main channels...

I agree... I tried this last night as well with no luck.  Planning to setup a trigger per channel I want.

35 minutes ago, mdt8813 said:

Hello, can you tell me why I am not seeing the events for the triggers I have created. When I click on programming and then select Amazon Echo I can only see a dummy event?

Go to the properties page and see if the triggers were actually created

43 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

I have 6 echo dots waiting for me when I get home from work.  Is this the driver I need to make magic happen or are there other options?   I am NOT interested in using 4sight.

if you don't want to use the native control4 capabilities - which require 4sight, then you have 2 other options, Ari's Echo Driver or Alan's IFTTT driver

Just now, msgreenf said:

if you don't want to use the native control4 capabilities - which require 4sight, then you have 2 other options, Ari's Echo Driver or Alan's IFTTT driver

I'm catching up on the threads now, but assuming I do not want to pay $100/mo (I don't), is there any reason to use the C4 driver over Ari's?

Just now, thegizzard said:

I'm catching up on the threads now, but assuming I do not want to pay $100/mo (I don't), is there any reason to use the C4 driver over Ari's?

4Sight is $120 a year, not a month.  4sight gives you other things that Ari's driver doesn't.  Ari's driver is $100 one time.

4sight gives

email from your controller

remote access to your system

push messages from your system

Alexa integration

38 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

I have 6 echo dots waiting for me when I get home from work.  Is this the driver I need to make magic happen or are there other options?   I am NOT interested in using 4sight.

There are 3 options, all with pros and cons. The first is the native Control4 Alexa support. This has lots of potential but is currently a bit buggy.  This requires 4 sight; however, once the bugs are ironed out, I think it would be worth reconsidering your view that you don't want to buy 4sight as it is going to be an exceptionally powerful link to Alexa.

Second is this driver, the Epic systems driver, which is great for turn on, off, up, down and set of any trigger name you want. It works very well and the only real drawback is the limit to these 5 commands and the fact that reserved words cannot be used (sadly Amazon has lots of reserved words that would be useful in a home automation environment - e.g. You can not use turn on my playlist because playlist is a reserved word).

Finally, there is the Chowmain IFTTT driver. This one provides more flexibility as you can say "Alexa trigger xxx" and xxx can be anything you want (reserved words are not a problem). This driver gives more flexibility but a lot more programming is needed as it does not give you predefined actions like turn on / off / up / down.

I think there is a place for all 3 and personally I use all 3. I use the native C4 one least due to the bugs and sometimes slow reaction times. However, I suspect that in a year's time I will use the native C4 one the most.  I use Epic systems for my more simple requirements and I use the Chowmain driver for my more complex requirements and where I want to use reserved words... Fortunately all 3 work seamlessly together and no one in my family knows that there are 3 drivers... They simply see one Alexa (soon to be 7 Alexas when my 6 Dots arrive!)

Whatever route you follow, enjoy!

13 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

There are 3 options, all with pros and cons. The first is the native Control4 Alexa support. This has lots of potential but is currently a bit buggy.  This requires 4 sight; however, once the bugs are ironed out, I think it would be worth reconsidering your view that you don't want to buy 4sight as it is going to be an exceptionally powerful link to Alexa.

Second is this driver, the Epic systems driver, which is great for turn on, off, up, down and set of any trigger name you want. It works very well and the only real drawback is the limit to these 5 commands and the fact that reserved words cannot be used (sadly Amazon has lots of reserved words that would be useful in a home automation environment - e.g. You can not use turn on my playlist because playlist is a reserved word).

Finally, there is the Chowmain IFTTT driver. This one provides more flexibility as you can say "Alexa trigger xxx" and xxx can be anything you want (reserved words are not a problem). This driver gives more flexibility but a lot more programming is needed as it does not give you predefined actions like turn on / off / up / down.

I think there is a place for all 3 and personally I use all 3. I use the native C4 one least due to the bugs and sometimes slow reaction times. However, I suspect that in a year's time I will use the native C4 one the most.  I use Epic systems for my more simple requirements and I use the Chowmain driver for my more complex requirements and where I want to use reserved words... Fortunately all 3 work seamlessly together and no one in my family knows that there are 3 drivers... They simply see one Alexa (soon to be 7 Alexas when my 6 Dots arrive!)

Whatever route you follow, enjoy!

Thank you this is perfect.  I am going to start with Ari's driver and decide from there. 

On 10/21/2016 at 4:32 PM, msgreenf said:

4Sight is $120 a year, not a month.  4sight gives you other things that Ari's driver doesn't.  Ari's driver is $100 one time.

4sight gives

email from your controller

remote access to your system

push messages from your system

Alexa integration

Thanks for clearing up the cost of 4sight.  I VPN into my home network so my Android app works remotely.  

I don't want to get off topic, but why would my system want to email me?  Like if an alarm goes off or a door is open under certain conditions?

12 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

Thanks for clearing up the cost of 4sight.  I VPN into my home network so my Android app works remotely.  

I don't want to get off topic, but why would my system want to email me?  Like if an alarm goes off or a door is open under certain conditions?

Those are definitely two scenarios. You can also use notifications and/or emails to help debug code ... example: couldn't figure out why wakeup script was not firing at the appropriate time. Had ComposerHE send an email when it fired ... turned out the event triggered when the thermostat was changed, not at the wakeup time.

I also like the feedback I get then when I change a variable - especially when I set vacation on.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jareds said:

Is there a way to have each echo - in the same project - work independently of the others. In other words - specific to that room?

Yes. Set up a different Amazon Account for each echo/dot and apply coding for each dot specific to that room.

I'm on day one of the epic systems driver from Ari. I have to say the speed at which is responds in the house is very good. It def takes some setup time and tinkering but honestly once you get the right trigger words and come up with a system for commands for your rooms it becomes natural to use. As for ideas of what to use it for, I have it setup for ALL my lighting, door lock on/off, enabling stay alarm, activating specific scenes, raising/lowering shades, in ceiling audio control to specific fav tune in stations, tv on/off and input control and macros to turn off all the rooms in the house etc. One note, I did commands for "bedroom on" and "bedroom light" and that triggers my lighting, but my bedroom off command turns the light and any a/v sources off to. I found that more useful than the bedroom off command only turning the light back off for bed time. The only issue I'm having at the moment is the set variable for the room audio level. It accepts the command but doesn't invoke any volume change. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to fix that would be very helpful.

Archived