C4 Forums | Control4

What are your impressions of 2.9? Upgrade or wait

jfh

12 hours ago, funnyfarm299 said:

Which buttons? What's going on with them?

Here are some links: 

This is a light switch attached to an experience button not working properly

And here a relay/experience button is not showing up properly across all platforms (OP had an issue with a sensor in general in 2.9 - my issue was the reading of the sensor was incorrect and the experience button was also incorrect)

I've been on 2.9 for a couple weeks now.  No real issues to report as of yet.  In fact I would say I don't even really have any minor issues.  Been pretty solid for me, however I haven't ventured very far off the beaten path.  I'm doing pretty regular stuff, nothing cutting edge.  Simple media and Lighting here.

There have been a number of strange little things on 2.9. Audio Issues, where some users get no audio, or the gain of the audio of a controllers drops drastically.  Lights randomly turning on or off, Some other minor things.  I would suggest holding off so as to hopefully get a build that is that much more stable.  Every version number change for Control4 across 2+ has only been stable on the final version of that release.  eg. 2.8.2, 2.5.3

Hold off unless there is something you desperately need.

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Here are some links: 

This is a light switch attached to an experience button not working properly

And here a relay/experience button is not showing up properly across all platforms (OP had an issue with a sensor in general in 2.9 - my issue was the reading of the sensor was incorrect and the experience button was also incorrect)

A whole new set of experience driver updates were brought out last Frday, and I think they cover these issues mentioned.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

A whole new set of experience driver updates were brought out last Frday, and I think they cover these issues mentioned.

I guess I'll have to follow up to find out.  My dealer said in general his experience with EB was negative and most were broken but a fix should be coming "soon". I had this talk with him this weekend, and the button is right around a week old, so I wonder if it was before or after the Friday you are mentioning

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I guess I'll have to follow up to find out.  My dealer said in general his experience with EB was negative and most were broken but a fix should be coming "soon". I had this talk with him this weekend, and the button is right around a week old, so I wonder if it was before or after the Friday you are mentioning

they were literally just released friday...so unless your buttons were installed after that, they are old

9 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Soon in this case meaning he's behind a day or two :rolleyes:

MY experience with them has been positive, as they've added a whole new world of option. Most of them weren't 'broken' at all, but set a few thousand people to try and push the envelope and you're bound to find scenarios where something that's brand new will have some glitches. :D

Back to OPs question... I'd definitely upgrade... 

I've seen some bugs, but the pros out weigh the cons... main bugs I have seen are:

1. Music takes much longer to come on (but what is a 5 second delay :-))

2. (Old fashioned) Sensors which have been inverted don't show the state correctly but triggers from these work fine.

3. The access agent has stopped working in my V2 Touchscreens so there is no restriction to what users can do on these Touchscreens. Still works on all other navigators.

4. Some bugs on the Experience Buttons but many have been fixed and it sounds like more have been fixed recently (note: you can set these to auto update with Control4s new auto update schedule - probably worth doing!).

5. The new irrigation program driver (which I love) died on me... maybe that has been updated too.

6. I am still waiting for Control4 or Alan to give us an Experience Button where we can control when the delay changes... to allow, for instance for a count down in days...

Items 4 and 5 are bit a loss as you would not have these on 2.8 and the benefits of 2.9 (e.g. Experience Buttons which really are cool!) outweigh items 1, 2 and 3 (which are irritations rather than real issues). Item 6 is just my personal wishlist.

But you can wait for 2.9.1 if you want and there will be new bugs ;)

56 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Back to OPs question... I'd definitely upgrade... 

I've seen some bugs, but the pros out weigh the cons... main bugs I have seen are:

1. Music takes much longer to come on (but what is a 5 second delay :-))

#1 would be a big deal in my house.  Is this delay with any audio stream, regardless of source?

i know you are a big fan of the experience buttons (and I love the idea), but that's a new function.  

Other than new function, what's on the Pro side of the equation?

What is improved/fixed from 2.8?   My biggest gripe now is that if music is playing and and announcement is triggered there is a volume spike in the music just before the announcement is played (e.g. Doorbell) and that is super annoying.

3 hours ago, jfh said:

#1 would be a big deal in my house.  Is this delay with any audio stream, regardless of source?

i know you are a big fan of the experience buttons (and I love the idea), but that's a new function.  

Other than new function, what's on the Pro side of the equation?

What is improved/fixed from 2.8?   My biggest gripe now is that if music is playing and and announcement is triggered there is a volume spike in the music just before the announcement is played (e.g. Doorbell) and that is super annoying.

Music delay - I've only noticed it on MyMusic, so suspect it is linked to DigitalMedia.

Apart from Experience Buttons, the only big update (that I can recall) on OS 2.9 was the blinds / shades proxy and User Interface. They also revamped the wake up agent but this still needs some work (my view).  For completeness, they also added native Alexa control (but as you know, this is available on 2.8.2) and they made the Services agent available in residential properties but I can not (yet) see any real use for this.

The various announcement bugs are all still present.

Unless there is something you absolutely must have, hold off.  For the most part it seems the majority haven't had many issues if any.  Although there are numerous oddities that it seems there is a patch going through testing that fixes half a dozen things.  Hopefully 2.9.1 will fix even more.

If there is something you really need in 2.9, update, but if not and your system is running fine, hold off. I would imagine the more complex the system, the more likely to have an issue, not that you will just greater exposure as there are more parts.

Archived