C4 Forums | Control4

Oppo UDP-203 First Impressions

ejn1

All, I have had 203 in my HT since around Christmas so thought I post a few observations:

Pros:

• Great Build Quality
  • Upconversion is stellar on Standard and Bluray DVD and handles 480i fine (my Samsung K8500 seemed to have problems with that resolution)
  • Remote is great and miles better than the Samsung
  • Loading is faster than the Samsung and the mechanism seems really smooth and solid.
  • I've tried streaming all high rez formats  via HDMI to my Anthem AVM60 and works and sounds great.  I stream from a Synology NAS using minimserver.  
  • UHD 4K HDR disks are stunning via my JVC projector.   Not night and day over the samsung but I think i see a slightly better picture.

Cons:

• Menu searching is faster than prior Oppo's but still not as easy as using a device dedicated to streaming like an Auralic Mini, Sonos, C4 audio etc.   I really dont think i would use as dedicated streamer over some of the IOS apps that are out there with dedicated streamers
  • Im using an Ethereal HDM-GA1 HDMI booster on a 40ft HDMI run and it is a little glitchy locking onto HDMI resolutions and does not lock quite as well as the Samsung did.  Maybe future firmware revisions will address this.

All in all, its a great unit with the last point the biggest negative so far.   I would definitely buy again and worthy in a high end system for sure.   I suspect on short HDMI runs, the last point would not be an issue.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, ejn1 said:

• Im using an Ethereal HDM-GA1 HDMI booster on a 40ft HDMI run and it is a little glitchy locking onto HDMI resolutions and does not lock quite as well as the Samsung did.  Maybe future firmware revisions will address this.

im really surprised the samsung 4k blu-ray worked at all that thing is picky as hell. Having the shortest run is the best option or switch to fiber is really the best thing.

Yeah, i worked hard to find a solution when the Sammy came out... I tried the Celerity HDMI over fiber and didnt work at all and they provided a lot of support on different HDMI baluns,  then tried some monoprice active cables rated at that distance and didnt work and then finally had someone on the AVS forums recommend the Ethereal and it worked like a charm.   I have a 24 AWG HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable for the 40ft run.  

1 hour ago, eddy.trochez said:

I'm surprised the Celerity cable didn't work. Those cables support 4K 4.4.4 @ 60Hz up to 1000ft. Good to know. 

It didnt work in my setup for sure but HDMI is so finicky between devices and especially at 4.4.4 HDR

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

you are going to have to use oled ir drivers this driver uses the new .c4z files

The hope was someone had already done it.  What does OLED have to do with an IR driver?

as you can tell i only sell a few thousand oled every month, just finding its way into my vocabulary.

1 hour ago, c44me said:

The hope was someone had already done it. 

maybe serial may work, but i doubt it will ever be an ip driver.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, eddy.trochez said:

You might wanna try HDMI over fiber optic. 40ft is way above the 20ft maximum for 4K using regular cables. Let me know if you have questions regarding HDMI over fiber, I carry Cleerline cables. 

20ft max? I just got a 40ft redmere cable to run to my TV, funny these start at 25ft and it is rated 4k @ 60Hz up to 50ft

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=12961&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYzM4vZSg3nLN4s-nH7vHh-07e0AJKU9tRCc8JXwEXERoCxLLw_wcB

38 minutes ago, koxkp said:

20ft max? I just got a 40ft redmere cable to run to my TV, funny these start at 25ft and it is rated 4k @ 60Hz up to 50ft

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=12961&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYzM4vZSg3nLN4s-nH7vHh-07e0AJKU9tRCc8JXwEXERoCxLLw_wcB

This was one of the first cables I tried and it didn't work for me...  I got the 40 ft version also.   Let me know if it works for you.

This was one of the first cables I tried and it didn't work for me...  I got the 40 ft version also.   Let me know if it works for you.

I probably won't be a good test without 4K. I had HDMIs with wall plate extenders going to a 1080p plasma. Turns out wall plates and my new receiver is always a bad idea

I just thought this would at least future proof my plasma for a little with this cable. We'll see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, c44me said:

thanks - I tried my old Oppo IR driver and it didn't work?  seemed odd maybe they changed the codes...

The old serial driver from RecluseAV worked before I switched to a newer driver.  It would be an option to check on at least.

1 hour ago, turls said:

The old serial driver from RecluseAV worked before I switched to a newer driver.  It would be an option to check on at least.

good idea - only problem is I'm doing IR.  Did they do/have a IR version?  Never had good results with serial.

9 minutes ago, c44me said:

good idea - only problem is I'm doing IR.  Did they do/have a IR version?  Never had good results with serial.

No idea, its a legacy driver at this point and not sure how much information you can find.

4 hours ago, turls said:

No idea, its a legacy driver at this point and not sure how much information you can find.

"Due to a change in company ownership and new business direction, driver sales are no longer offered. "

:(

Archived