C4 Forums | Control4

Make a light follow the status of another light

Bullseye

• 8 months later...

Lighting scenes are useless here.

What you're looking for is this:

When light level of [dimmer "A"] changes

Set [dimmer "B"] LIGHT_LEVEL to the value of [dimmer "A"] LIGHT_LEVEL

The optio to do so is seen by pressing the + sign in front of dimmer "B"/dimmer "B"'s device variables and selecting the variable LIGHT_LEVEL - in there you'll see the option "Set to value of" with a drop down menu to find dimmer "A" LIGHT_LEVEL

You could put all the dimmers in an advanced lighting scene. then disconnect the buttons from the dimmer and have them activate the advanced light scene.  That is how i have multiple banks of lights at home act as one load.

but the dimmers have to be the latest style of dimmers/switches to behave that way in the advanced lighting agent.

• 3 months later...

Lighting scenes are useless here.

What you're looking for is this:

When light level of [dimmer "A"] changes

Set [dimmer "B"] LIGHT_LEVEL to the value of [dimmer "A"] LIGHT_LEVEL

The optio to do so is seen by pressing the + sign in front of dimmer "B"/dimmer "B"'s device variables and selecting the variable LIGHT_LEVEL - in there you'll see the option "Set to value of" with a drop down menu to find dimmer "A" LIGHT_LEVEL

I am looking to do something similar, but seems slightly more complex.  I have can lights in the kitchen on one dimmer and a separate dimmer that controls the can lights over the sink.  By using the logic above, I could control all of them by turning on the kitchen can lights.  But I would also like to only turn on/off the sink can lights while keeping the rest of the kitchen can lights on if I use the sink can light dimmers.  Is this possible?  I have no idea how to program this if it is.  

Thanks,

Jeff

@

#16 icon_share.png Jeffrey

you can get it to program however you like.

you just need to think in much more simpler terms

when you press a button what do you want it do, and what condtions do you want to effect that?

I dont quite understand what you are looking for in the kitchen below is maybe?

sink can switch turns all lights on press bottom one time turns of cans press second time turns off sink cans

kitchen cans press top once turns on kitchen cans press second time turns on sinks canns

press bottom turn off sink cans press second time turns of kitchen cans

you can tune this with variables.

if you care to elborate more of what you are looking for we can tweak this

@

#16 icon_share.png Jeffrey

you can get it to program however you like.

you just need to think in much more simpler terms

when you press a button what do you want it do, and what condtions do you want to effect that?

I dont quite understand what you are looking for in the kitchen below is maybe?

sink can switch turns all lights on press bottom one time turns of cans press second time turns off sink cans

kitchen cans press top once turns on kitchen cans press second time turns on sinks canns

press bottom turn off sink cans press second time turns of kitchen cans

you can tune this with variables.

if you care to elborate more of what you are looking for we can tweak this

Sorry my post is confusing.  I would like the kitchen can dimmer to turn on/off both kitchen can lights and sink can lights, and I would still like the sink can dimmer to just turn the sink lights on/off above the sink if need be without turning off the rest of the kitchen lights (ie the can lights controlled by the kitchen can dimmer).  My initial thought was binding the two dimmers, but then all the lights would turn off and on no matter which dimmer I used (I don't want that).

Hopefully that helps, at least a little bit!  

Thanks,

Jeff

So in short you want the button for the one dimmer to control both.

In that case, you should get that dimmer's buttons unbound, then program those buttons to trigger an advanced lighting scene up/down instead of it's own load.

Thanks!  I was able to program the lighting scene with the dimmer without a hitch.  However, the other end of the 3 way switch is a 2 button keypad.  I thought I could just build another lighting scene to make the two button turn on both the can lights and the sink lights.  However, the 2 button does not show up in the tree of devices when I try to build the lighting scene.  I unbound it from the dimmer, but it still wasn't there?  I must be missing something easy?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ah, a 2-button will not show up as a light (as it isn't controlling a load).

What you did is not wrong - although if you can get your dealer to log in for a few seconds you can have that 2-button bound to the lighting scene - if nothing else it'll keep instant track of the lighting state that way.

Archived