C4 Forums | Control4

Black and Decker Door Locks Firmware

swacker69

Hi

I am currently trying to upgrade my Black and Decker Locks to the latest firmware.  My dealer told me to remove the batteries then re insert and press the left top button four time and the right four times to force a firmware update.  Well its not working.  I have 6 Locks in my home and 1 of them has the version 2.00.04 from an initial install and the other 5 have 1.08.13.

The five locks that need updating were bought at different times and are much older than the 2.00.04 lock.  I have also tried the forced firmware not just on one of the locks but on a few others too, just to make sure that one of the locks didn't have an issue.

Now im not even sure if 2.00.04 is the latest version or not but the director is running. 2.5.2 Build 247182 if that helps determine if that's the latest version.  The reason I want to get to the latest version is that the batteries are dying faster than the most recent firmware lock and I would also just like some consistency within my Project.

I have looked thru the posts and I couldn't find an answer or solution to the problem.  My control4 dealer told me we may have to contact Black and Decker to get a resolution.  I am open to suggestions.

Hi

I am currently trying to upgrade my Black and Decker Locks to the latest firmware.  My dealer told me to remove the batteries then re insert and press the left top button four time and the right four times to force a firmware update.  Well its not working.  I have 6 Locks in my home and 1 of them has the version 2.00.04 from an initial install and the other 5 have 1.08.13.

The five locks that need updating were bought at different times and are much older than the 2.00.04 lock.  I have also tried the forced firmware not just on one of the locks but on a few others too, just to make sure that one of the locks didn't have an issue.

Now im not even sure if 2.00.04 is the latest version or not but the director is running. 2.5.2 Build 247182 if that helps determine if that's the latest version.  The reason I want to get to the latest version is that the batteries are dying faster than the most recent firmware lock and I would also just like some consistency within my Project.

I have looked thru the posts and I couldn't find an answer or solution to the problem.  My control4 dealer told me we may have to contact Black and Decker to get a resolution.  I am open to suggestions.

I'm having the same problem...

*  1) Remove the lock battery cartridge (press a key or two to eliminate any charge in the lock)
*  2) Re-insert the battery cartridge with the arrows facing the door    
*  3) Press the top left button 4 times  
*  4) Press the top right button 4 times
*  The firmware should start updating.  If it does not, ensure that your batteries are new. If you are
*  unable to manually start the firmware update, the lock should automatically check-in for an update
*  after the first check-in of the lock, at 3AM.

Is the official list - note that both using new batteries and pressing those buttons are very important.

Thanks for the reply.  The batteries are brand spanking new.  I have removed the battery cartridge many times and have gone thru this exact same song and dance till ive been blue in the face.  Ive been at it for about 3 days or so..

Don't hold your breathe!!  I've posted about this on dealer forums and got nowhere.  I also tried doing this over and over again with no results.  The closest that I've had to a response was "is the lock too far from the mesh?" and the answer to that is no.  I have 4 dimmers/switches right next to the front door, that are controlled remotely all day long and also have a zap in the office right next door.

Also, lock never updates during the check-in at 3am.  On my pet peeve list. 

This is the kind of issue you should work through your dealer to resolve.

The dealer can work with Control4 tech support, and with Black and Decker, and possibly replace the ZigBee board, or otherwise find out what is going on.

If it's setup properly, and it's not taking a firmware update, it may need to be replaced under warranty.

RyanE

I'm curious and this is pure curiosity.  But I believe there have been two different zigbee cards for these locks. As you've stated that the ones that won't update are much older could it be that these zigbee cards can't be updated past a certain point? 

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give an update on this.  I talked to Kwikset and they sent me 6 new zigbee cards.  I took one of the cards and with my dealers help we swapped out one of them.  After that we tried to update the lock firmware and no go.  I called Kwikset back and they said that its the controllers fault and the controller is probably on the wrong channel when trying to communicate with the locks during an upgrade.  I told them that Im not a dealer but if we had a communication issue the locks wouldn't work to begin with, ie adding new lock codes etc.

Im kind of at a loss here.  Any suggestions?  does anyone else have these locks?  if so what is your firmware?  Do these locks have an EOL and that's why this is low on the totem pole?  Im not being an ass I just want some sort of decent answer, especially since I have 6 of these in my home!!

I have 3 Kwikset locks in my system and they all work perfect. Firmware is 01.08.13 on all 3 and the drivers I am using are 20130917 v3.8.16 on one lock and the V.4 driver on the other 2.

I agree with Dan. If they currently work take the 6 ZigBee cards and run.

Thanks for the responses all.  I forgot to mention in the most current post that one out of the six zigbee cards cards is 2.04 and not 1.08.13.  This is what threw me off to begin with.  If you look at the card, it physically says 2.04 and the firmware inside Composer says 2.04 as well.  I also chatted with a few other guys on the forum and they have had this issue as well, where the card wont take an update.  but of course the firmware could be at 1.08.13 and may not even have a newer version out there.  All I was really looking for was to see if the locks had a newer firmware version out there or not.  I guess its safe to say that 1.08.13 is the latest...even though the firmware has been the same for these locks for many years.

Where I got the 2.04 I do not know, and yes I bought all my locks thru a dealer :)  I just wanted to make sure I was running the latest and greatest.  the only issues I have seen are the batteries drain quite quickly and one of the locks reads open sometimes instead of closed.

This happened to me sometime ago. When I open the the Kwikset lock App on the control 4 screen I get an error message " lastest firmware available- delete the old driver and reinstall the latest driver" . - this worked for me.

So I think  you could try this out.  another thing is try to update the driver from the Kwikset  App.

• 1 month later...

So I have 4 Kwikset locks running on version 1.08.13 and work great.  Added in 3 new ones that are on 2.0.4 and it appears now when I go to identify the last new one 3rd on 2.0.4 (7th total) it takes down my entire Zigbee network.  Have to power cycle the HC-800 to reset everything.  Running version 2.2.4 on controller.  So do I need to get new Zigbee cards with 1.08.13 and should solve the issue?  Any insight be helpful.

Archived