C4 Forums | Control4

Earth to networking electronics industry... Hello! or should that be **HELLO**: stop the NOISE!

wappinghigh

If home networking is going to be taken seriously.. (and lets face it: this is becoming the entire backbone of home automation..)

Anyway, if the networking industry is going to make any serious headwinds into the domestic environment, they just gotta cut the NOISE of their products..

Switches, routers, HDD storage units, NAS drives, server fans...

Seriously...

Enough ALREADY!

Recent purchase: a 24 port POE midpoint injector.

Totally unacceptable. 

Hahaha. Sure. Maybe then there is a need for some more rebadged C4 network gear??? Sourced and known to be house friendly. It's an ongoing problem. Large racks = noise= have to put em in confined spaces (maybe noise proofed) ... Or basements = then a heat problem and/or fire risk = need for ventilation = noise problem back again (need to unseal the confined area). We don't all have access to subterranean vaults like most business/bank network engineers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that is why everything is in back closets, both home and business. I agree though, some of this stuff is loud.

Sure.

So how do some of you guys with big ranks get around the dissipating heat problem? If you have to put your racks in confined space to rid the noise?

Is there a dedicated rack storage solution that seals out the noise (on one hand)... But silently vents the heat (on the other)? Suitable for domestic installs?

^ No it's not.

It's a legitimate issue.

I've asked for a solution to a serious concern and all you do is take the piss?

HA in general and Control4 in particular is network dependant. Our networks are getting bigger. So are the no of POE devices

Sales of C4 as a platform flow on from folks doing cameras, switches and AV and the like..

What about people who live in flats, in hot parts of the world, or who don't have basements?

You guys are soooo North American centric all the time..

You just can't fob this issue off and simply say "stick all your networking gear in the closet"...

We "took a piss" because YOU DO NOT WANT control4 doing network gear.

If you want them to be more silent then accept a 4u spacing, that way they can build them with heat sinks.

for those that live in flats with no basements and high temps you need to plan for air movement and sound abatement.

I am sorry 

Sure.

So how do some of you guys with big ranks get around the dissipating heat problem? If you have to put your racks in confined space to rid the noise?

Is there a dedicated rack storage solution that seals out the noise (on one hand)... But silently vents the heat (on the other)? Suitable for domestic installs?

I put my racks in my mechanical room. It's where they need to be anyway due to all of the wiring. I purposely made the room 2X bigger than a normal mechanical room during my build. It has worked out perfectly, the fans can make as much noise as they want, my boiler and furnace never complain.... ;)

We "took a piss" because YOU DO NOT WANT control4 doing network gear.

If you want them to be more silent then accept a 4u spacing, that way they can build them with heat sinks.

for those that live in flats with no basements and high temps you need to plan for air movement and sound abatement.

I am sorry

No problem.

So why can't control4 have web links. How to plan? That sort of thing? Ok my point about rebadging wasn't that C4 should actually *make* the network gear. It was just a suggestion to make life easy for homeowners: More source and rebadge excellent gear (like they did with the leafs) that works in a domestic environment. What's wrong with that suggestion?

Or even a list or something would suffice ??

So how do you put in a heat sink rack?

Cheers.

You know: "we recommend the following fanless switches, servers, racks and POE injectors for your domestic installs".... That sort of thing...

They have/had that. Just not available to the consumer. Need to ask your dealer

^ ok. I didn't know that: Thanks for that. :)

Yep they've had recommended (and tested!) networking gear lists available for dealers for a long time now.

It isn't an 'end-all' list by any means, though it covers the basics. And gets updated regularly.

Problem with C4 rebranding gear is that networking models change faster than smartphone models, firmware in some cases even more so. It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer's firmware update turned a recommended router into a router that was on the 'red list' (Dlink 655).

Sound from fans suck, but there is only so much manufacturers can do within a small frame (and without pricing themsselves out of the market). There are non-fan PoE midspans and even PoE switches available, others have a managed option for the fans. But that means that you need to externally manage the heat.

Whereever all this gear gets installed needs to be planned for it's OWN heat dissipation - something that admittedly is often lost on many people, dealers or otherwise (especially the PLANNING part, before you find thre's an issue).

In the end you can do it VERY silent indeed if you want - but like everything else it comes at a price (one example is Boragear rack fans that can displace a lot of heat with virtually zero noise - but they cost a ton).

https://www.truaudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=boragear has some good examples, BoraGear only sells via distribution partners (that include a lot of online retailers) so you may have to dig for someone local.

Axis has fanless midspans, Cisco has some fanless PoE switches in the IE series. Planet has managed mispans (PoE Hubs) - not sure if current lineup has fanless options.

https://www.truaudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=boragear has some good examples, BoraGear only sells via distribution partners (that include a lot of online retailers) so you may have to dig for someone local.

Axis has fanless midspans, Cisco has some fanless PoE switches in the IE series. Planet has managed mispans (PoE Hubs) - not sure if current lineup has fanless options.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, there is nowhere I could find in the managed planet midspan to disable or quieten down the fan noise..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The fans can be replaced with quieter fans....  

Thanks

Problem solved: I have opened up the box and disconnected the fans from my Cisco 48 port managed switch and I am going to leave the lid off and  flip it upside down in the rack (let heat dissipate this way) 

The other device was finally returned for an accepted manufacturer refund

I have got another smaller 24 port unmanaged gigabit fanless cisco for inside (courtesy of another forum member) and I am using smaller 8 + 2 port Cisco switches for POE (which are also fanless)

All good  :)

Archived