C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless APs

Adidaswood

But that doesn't change the fact that most people want 100% wifi coverage in their house these days for mobile devices like phones and tablets and in large homes that requires multiple APs. And more IoT devices are coming out that don't have a wired option - like a Fitbit Aria scale for example.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with the need for coverage and I love the Unifi stuff. 

It's just that things like cameras, music streaming devices and hubs should always be wired connections, unless absolutely physically impossible.  Even PowerLine network is a better option than WiFi. The more of these types of devices that go wireless puts more strain on your WiFi setup and raises the possibility of needing additional WiFi hardware and introducing network complexity e.g. if you try to segregate the more "hungry" wireless devices. The Fitbit Aria should hopefully be a very light weight consumer of wireless resources.

Plus, as the need for more WiFi and added segregation grows - you're using up more WiFi channels, increasing interference and overlap issues (especially if you have nearby neighbours and they start doing the same thing.

I've always viewed the move to more 'wireless' units as a potential problem - not a solution. This doesn't go for tablets etc of course but for devices that do NOT need to roam around all the time (Chromecast is one example - they're so cheap that you'd likely just put one at any TV you want one over moving one around all the time).

That doesn't excuse not (at least trying) to get 75%+ signal strenght anywhere you want it.

Another option besides the Zero Hand off features, is that there is a Minimum RSSI feature.  This essentially gives you control of the threshold at which the WAP will kick the client off and make it choose again.  https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Configuration-Examples/UniFi-Set-minimum-RSSI-for-clients/ta-p/522637

This could take some tuning but might be helpful in allowing you to keep the asus and minimize investment in additional unifi units.

http://www.cepro.com/article/5_biggest_mistakes_in_wireless_networking

Now I have added 2 x Unifipro's I am getting Sonos interference.

I have always been with the philosophy that Sonos is best left unwired.. so adding the Unifi's poses a bit of a dilemma 

Wifi is way better.. but Sonos ? hahahahaha doesn't like it....

Initially I thought I'd just go with my previous stable setup: wifi router on channel 6 and Sonos on Channel 1 which has been stable for months.

So I thought logic has it > set the two Unifi's to channel 6. Mistake: see link above.

So I've set them back to "auto" channels and one Unifi has self selected Channel 1 (in 2.4 range) and the other channel 6...(in 2.4)

Sonos is now better but still not as good as it was before.. I also have 4 stacked Sonos devices wireless (see above link as well).. LOL is this really that bad?

So now some of you have added Unifi to your setup's can you please post your most stable wifi channel settings for both Sonos and the new Unifi's?

Does Unifi sniff out vacant spectrum and will it therefore in time select channels different from Sonos if it's left alone in Auto mode??

And how do you position your Sonos devices in the rack?

(this is a great thread BTW) 

I agree, my racked Sonos are all hardwired..

Also I don't utilize auto mode on my WAP's. I've always used inSSIDer to see what channel all the neighbors are on and then selected the channel for my WAP's myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex, what's the issue with having wired racked Sonos? i have never installed wireless Sonos in a rack. Of course rooms in homes without speaker wire is a different prospect.

I have 2 Sonos connects, 2 Play 3s and a Play 1.  The connects are both hard wired, and 1 Play 3 is hard wired.  The other Play 3 and Play 1 are wireless.  I also have a hard wired bridge.

I have a Ubiquiti WAP and configured it pretty much straight out of the box, nothing fancy

Never had any issues with Sonos.

Alex, what's the issue with having wired racked Sonos? i have never installed wireless Sonos in a rack. Of course rooms in homes without speaker wire is a different prospect.

Early on he had a lot of problems with his sonos set-up, he had a ton of connects all wired into a fully managed switch and was getting network storms. In my opinion this was early(ish) into the existence of Sonos and before they had really encountered this issue. Most of these issues have now been worked out, additionally there is really no reason to have as many connects as he had since they introduced having multiple accounts for any streaming service. 

I bought three of the Ubiquiti APs and they arrived yesterday.  The cost was exactly C$100 each including delivery and taxes.  I have only installed one so far but one thing is that they are bigger in person then they appear in photos.  They are about 8" in diameter whereas I was thinking that they would be more like 5-6".  They look kind of like smoke detectors except bigger.

are these ctl4 compatible?

Early on he had a lot of problems with his sonos set-up, he had a ton of connects all wired into a fully managed switch and was getting network storms. In my opinion this was early(ish) into the existence of Sonos and before they had really encountered this issue. Most of these issues have now been worked out, additionally there is really no reason to have as many connects as he had since they introduced having multiple accounts for any streaming service. 

Yep. that is exactly correct. Fire is spot on. Early days Sonos ignored the issue that users with multiple zones were having with managed switches. The attitude from Sonos was "what problem"?? ..It took ages for folks to sort settings out. (See the other recent thread on this forum on this..) We were going thru hell tearing our hair out: telling sonos we had a problem...therefore *they* had a problem given the switch industry was going pretty much "managed" (as apposed to unmanaged) for switches greater than 24 port...At the time I took advice by Sonos both directly and in their forum to go as "wireless as you can". I've stayed that way: Yeah I know there are probably more accurate switch settings now to go all wired again: but you know how it is... lots of things to do and if it aint broke: don't fix it :)

I agree, my racked Sonos are all hardwired..

Also I don't utilize auto mode on my WAP's. I've always used inSSIDer to see what channel all the neighbors are on and then selected the channel for my WAP's myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got Unifi now? That being the case: have you set all WAP's on different channels (both from each other and Sonos) 

Uniffy isn't in beta - unless you are running beta software.

As for airplay - what are your security settings? Apple SAYS you should be on WPA2 AES only - though sometimes it's proven that you need to be on WPA2 TKIP instead. Any mixed settings (ie WPA/WPA2, or WPA2 with legacy support) work poorly with Apple products (mobile at least - less so with desktops/laptops)

Uniffy isn't in beta - unless you are running beta software.

As for airplay - what are your security settings? Apple SAYS you should be on WPA2 AES only - though sometimes it's proven that you need to be on WPA2 TKIP instead. Any mixed settings (ie WPA/WPA2, or WPA2 with legacy support) work poorly with Apple products (mobile at least - less so with desktops/laptops)

Ok. The Unifi was set on wpapsk. (WPA-personal). Where in the Unifi menu can you specify these "Apple friendly" settings you mention?

There is just open, WEP, WPA-Personal and WPA -Enterprise

What are the ideal Unifi settings for Apple?

edit. found it : Advanced. I was on mixed WPA... 

Is your receiving device hardwired (express/AppleTV?) if so it could be multicast sttings between wireless and wired - try (temp) putting the device(s) on wireless and see if it fixes it that way (easiest method of eliminating the possibility)

The device I am trying to use is the new Rocki streamer. It's all wifi.. I see it on my new wifi network real easy but can't stream to it using airplay.. there may be multicasting issues as you mention because we have just hardwired daisy chained a few Sonos devices into that pesky cisco managed switch of mine: but Sonos seems to be working Ok and I haven't had any broadcast storms (yet). 

Archived