C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless APs

Adidaswood

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't an HDD in them, I have just seen reports that some people hear a sound like that.

Theoretically they should be silent.

Right. I am getting the local computer dealer to plug one in at the shop before I take it.

I'm over crap like this from the computer industry LOL! 

Next Q is positioning. I think it was Cy who said there is no coverage "behind them".. so in a two story apartment you've got to mount them as high as possible on the second floor ceiling right? I guess then maybe the best spot for these is mounted right in the A frame of the ceiling space right out of the way: like on the main structural beam under the roof....??

Next Q is positioning. I think it was Cy who said there is no coverage "behind them".. so in a two story apartment you've got to mount them as high as possible on the second floor ceiling right? I guess then maybe the best spot for these is mounted right in the A frame of the ceiling space right out of the way: like on the main structural beam under the roof....??

Directional was what he said so a 180 deg half orb would be the image to think of.

I imagine your location suggestion is correct. I only have one floor.

What HDD?

do these have a HDD? Why would they need a HDD?

I've just ordered 2 or these as well: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wireless/Access_Points/52070-UAP-PRO?gclid=CPuZ5Zq8lMMCFQV8vQoda10AAg

those the ones you've got?

...that noise would drive me nuts..why aren't they silent???

HDD like. Not HDD.

The thing makes a quiet clicking sound with your ear close to it.

A short range Morse signaler in the device. I could not hear it 9 ft away. If you can I am impressed.

Yes those are the ones I own.

Like I have said earlier I have mine on ceiling in basement and on second floor which would be a good 27' behind it with all the flooring HVC etc I get a full signal.

I have the LR model

P

Ok Cool. Just the info I was after guys. Thankyou to all.. There is always the outdoor model.. stick anything with noise right away into the void of the ceiling and add an outdoor if needed.. I think IN the ceiling will be best : not "on" the ceiling if you know what I mean.. And trial em first on the end of a floating POE before fixed mounting.. Cheers all.. 

Another idea could be in the attic as well.  If they are as directional as suggested then you would have to keep them pointed down.  The downside might be temperature - here in Toronto I imagine the attic could go from -10C to +35C or so.

I now have two of them set up, one at either end of the main floor of my house. They are currently just sitting on desks - I plan to wall mount them when I get the chance. I don't currently get a good signal in my basement but hopefully that will change once they are mounted properly. I do get a decent signal in my garage now.

How does the handoff work from one AP to another? It looks like it may be hanging on to the weaker AP a bit too long. Presumably this is done by the client, like an iPad or iPhone. Is there any way to adjust this in the Ubiquiti software?

So far these seem pretty good as it is much easier to configure and control your wifi network this way, it is easy to set up clients when you have one SSID throughout your house and these seem to have a very good range. The downside compared to using "routers" is that you lose the wired switch capability (but five port switches are cheap) and you need to pay up for the pro to get a 5GHz radio. But this isn't a big problem for me as I live in a low density area.

Installed mine yesterday evening in our master bedroom where coverage was always 1 bar at best.  Problem is that iOS devices hang on to the original SSID like super glue.  When I changed the SSID to something different, that's the only time I knew my devices were connecting to this device.  

Firmware was updated and I monitored connections through the online utility.  It is wall mounted at the moment but will mount it on the ceiling this weekend.  I was replacing a router in AP mode with this device.  May have to go back to the router if my devices don't connect.

I did change the signal strength to medium and it didn't make a difference as suggested in an online post.  Changed the channel as well.  

They are also thinner and sleeker then a smoke detector.

I am shocked at the number of these people are putting in a home. I've got one indoor and one outdoor. That fully coverts a 4000 sqft home and a 1 acre lot without issue. Can't imagine needing 3 indoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree FM, insofar as coverage is concerned. But the number of wireless devices is also a factor and spreading the devices out over multiple APs will reduce loads e.g. multiple devices streaming movies.

They are also thinner and sleeker then a smoke detector.

I am shocked at the number of these people are putting in a home. I've got one indoor and one outdoor. That fully coverts a 4000 sqft home and a 1 acre lot without issue. Can't imagine needing 3 indoor

I agree FM, insofar as coverage is concerned. But the number of wireless devices is also a factor and spreading the devices out over multiple APs will reduce loads e.g. multiple devices streaming movies.

as I am experiencing coverage and load issues with my current system.  I ordered 2 AP Pros for a 5500 sq ft house.  One will go on the second floor and the other will go in the basement by the rack.  I'll evaluate the outdoors in the spring.

Installed mine yesterday evening in our master bedroom where coverage was always 1 bar at best.  Problem is that iOS devices hang on to the original SSID like super glue.  When I changed the SSID to something different, that's the only time I knew my devices were connecting to this device.  

Firmware was updated and I monitored connections through the online utility.  It is wall mounted at the moment but will mount it on the ceiling this weekend.  I was replacing a router in AP mode with this device.  May have to go back to the router if my devices don't connect.

I did change the signal strength to medium and it didn't make a difference as suggested in an online post.  Changed the channel as well.  

Did you try looking into the Zero Handoff Settings?  I did a quick google search and there are some articles about how to set it up.  I have to say though, my stuff is not up and running yet so I can't test for you.

Theoretically this is why my old system didn't work for me.  There is no way for those two systems to work together.  You might consider a second unit and then disable the wireless on your Asus.  The handoff will then happen on the AP/Unifi system as opposed to controlling it with the client.  The client doesn't know it should switch like the APs do.

as I am experiencing coverage and load issues with my current system. I ordered 2 AP Pros for a 5500 sq ft house. One will go on the second floor and the other will go in the basement by the rack. I'll evaluate the outdoors in the spring.

I have a similar size house with : 3 x AP Pro

Theoretically this is why my old system didn't work for me. There is no way for those two systems to work together. You might consider a second unit and then disable the wireless on your Asus. The handoff will then happen on the AP/Unifi system as opposed to controlling it with the client. The client doesn't know it should switch like the APs do.

They should know but the implementation is generally done poorly. Laptops often do this reasonably well - anything else does not. Fortunately mesh style systems are now reasonably priced.

I could add another Unifi easily.  The Asus has been great.  No issues with any device including all my C4 gear.  I just wanted to get better wifi coverage in certain rooms that are too far from the router.  I was using a spare router in AP mode.  Worked well for the most part but would have to reboot from time to time.

I looked and I can't see where to turn off wifi on the Asus.  Will need to research more.  I guess I could always replace the Asus with an EdgeRouter but now I'm over complicating a home network IMHO.

Over the last few days I have been installing and configuring my Unifi APs.  One thing that I have learned on the Unifi forums is that the strength of the signal from the Access Point is rarely the problem - it is the clients.  The recommendation on those forums is to use medium or low power for these APs, especially if you want to facilitate handing off from one AP to another.

I have three APs in my house right now.  It is working quite well except that I can't consummate a reliable connection with an IP camera mounted by my front door.  So in my case three APs seems about right and if I want to have everything on the Unifi APs then I may need a fourth.  

FYI - my house has a fully finished basement plus a first and second floor (that only covers half of the house) and my house is 85 feet wide and is about 30 feet deep.

p.s. One other thing that I have learned is that it is a major pain on the butt to redo your wifi networks as you have to go through and redo the setup for many devices - like IP cameras, connected music players, Fitbit Aria scale, Harmony Remote Control hubs, etc.

Archived