C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless APs

Adidaswood

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will do it.   :D   

Glad you got it sorted.  

Other than that how is it working out for you?  I am extremely impressed with this gear.  The amount of control I have is great.  The detail I get about what is connected to the system is way better than my old setup.  They make no noise as alluded to in some reviews.  I had to put my ear right on it to hear this so called noise.

The only small complaint I have is how the ER-POE does passive 24v POE and can't power the APs.  Additionally it only came with a 24v power converter.  They say you can go get a 48v power converter and that will enable the 48v option for the POE ports.  Then I can power the APs without the adapters.  Not a giant deal.  Just found it odd.  This thing is way configurable too.  it has a hardware switch built in so you can do many different configs.  Wan + Lan, port to port bridging, and port to switch bridging.  You can also do full managed vlans.  Very cool.

I think I can remedy this later with a new switch and or midspan.  I need one anyway, I'm quickly running out of ports.

Yep. They are good. My wifi is faster and broader now. Pretty happy now I've sorted Airplay and removed that Cisco 48port managed switch. Mine are pretty quiet as well. I'll leave the detailed Unifi config though to someone who knows what he's doing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the problem was that it was active, I have a feeling he had the device configured to the guest wifi and not his main. So his phone is on the main and the Rocki was on the guest.

I could be wrong but that's how I read it at least

^I just had the "guest" box in the Unifi setup checked. That's all. When I unchecked it, Airplay worked. It had nothing to do with the Rocki. Unless this and the NOCS speakers "locked" onto guest when they joined the wifi network. I suppose that's possible... You can't really select what some devices lock onto I guess....

You can use either the 5 port or the 3 port.  One has poe built in the other doesn't.  You can accomplish getting the APs online with the included 48v adapters though.  You just need the electrical outlets to power the adapters if you go with the 3 port Edge Router Lite.

It really boils down to how many router ports you need.  If you are really only going to use a wan + 1lan config then you really only need the Edge Router Lite. 

The Edge Router POE has the ability to deliver POE, but you have to find a 48v adapter at least I do.  Or you can use your existing POE solution as the APs support common POE standards.  Be sure to just double check which standards and voltages are used on your current equipment.  I never really saw this as a POE solution, other than it might be convenient in the short term, until I can figure out my POE strategy at the switch level.

It really depends on your needs perhaps you could expand on what you are trying to accomplish and we can give some feed back.

Be aware that the AC and Pro Unifi WAP are the only ones 802.3at (PoE+) compliant the standard and LR are passive. Don't hook up an LR or standard WAP to your non Ubiquiti POE switch or midspan

On a slightly different issue, I had trouble with one of my WAP's auto roaming onto my Sonos channel..

I think it's best to fix the channels right? I have two Unifi Pro's... POE'd using their adapters 

Is it best practice to run them off the same Ethernet switch? or shouldn't it matter?.... Thanks

As for your wifi channel.  Certainly setting it to a fixed channel so as to not mess with your sonos channel, is one way to deal with it.  I would say that you really need to look at what is going on in the spectrum around you.  I broke out wifi analyzer on my Galaxy Tab and watched what was happening for a while.  My issue with going to a fixed channel is that all of my neighbors don't know anything about this.  So there stuff roams onto all different channels all day.  I'm still trying different settings in that regard to see how it might work out.  It seems like the second I set mine to fixed I end up with the neighbors on that channel.  In reality they are constantly moving around and there isn't much i can do about it.  So even if you set yours to be different, your neighbors proximity and their usage might mitigate what you are trying to accomplish.   Your mileage my very based on population density.  If you live in the sticks you will probably be fine.  If you live in a new york multi tenant building, well that would be different.

At the end of the day, i can't say see much effect from sharing channels.  

Ok. Having successfully installed 2 x Unif Pro's with zero "clicking" noise, my wifi is smokin.... but like everything in this HA world it's often 2 steps forward and one step back (as most of you all know).

Case in point Wemo...

For the life of me can't get the darn things to connect anymore.. It says "connected" to the switch in the app, then the little green circle just goes round and round and the app hangs..

Of course I'd buy 4 x Control4 Zigbee GPO's in a heart beat to avoid all this sort of nonsense (if only there was a 230/240V version).. Alas.. 

Despite repeated requests we have been ignored AFAIK for over 2-3 years on this.. 

No I had to change the security like CYK advised to pure WPA/2 to make Unifi more Apple friendly. Sure I've tried factory resetting... 

Why is it me who always seems to have trouble? Like it's as if I'm the only one! LOL.

Sonos, Wemo, Unifi, Zigbee mesh always works perfectly for you guys? Like 24/7  x 365?

Like you set em all up in 5 min flat and bingo. 100% pure uninterrupted wifi... ?

I'm just using the default Wlan group to leave things uncomplicated.. 

No disrespect guys, but these thing are not as easy to set up as Apple..

You really do need to have a working knowledge of wifi.. :)

Have you guys set up new WLAN groups and enabled zero handoff>? Or is this just asking for trouble?

Archived