56 members have voted

1. 1. FREE Driver Development options

• Kodi
    • Wink
    • CyberQ - BBQ Controller
    • Stoker II - BBQ Controller
    • GlobalCache IR Input Driver
    • RING - Doorbell Notifications

So we are looking for ideas for a driver to develop over August 26-27 the development will be live streamed and YOU he community can participate in by asking questions, suggesting features, testing, or just watching how it happens.

So what we need are suggestions of what driver to build, the API needs to be Open or if you suggest a device an have access to the API send it to us.  If anyone has any contacts with product manufacturers if they are willing to provide the API this is a chance for some free development.

We will add suggestions to the poll, provided there is a open API or we have confirmation we will have access to an API.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, annex⁴ said:

So we are looking for ideas for a driver to develop over August 26-27 the development will be live streamed and YOU he community can participate in by asking questions, suggesting features, testing, or just watching how it happens.

So what we need are suggestions of what driver to build, the API needs to be Open or if you suggest a device an have access to the API send it to us.  If anyone has any contacts with product manufacturers if they are willing to provide the API this is a chance for some free development.

Just replied to you in the other thread where you mentioned it but there was talk for a driver for a BBQ draft system such as The Stoker or a Cyberq by BBQ Guru.  Both have available APIs.  Would be nice to see the temps, or get notices when you hit certain temps.  Could mess with LED lights on keypads to know you are getting close to getting done, etc.

Its trivial and non critical, but it would be fun!

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

Just replied to you in the other thread where you mentioned it but there was talk for a driver for a BBQ draft system such as The Stoker or a Cyberq by BBQ Guru.  Both have available APIs.  Would be nice to see the temps, or get notices when you hit certain temps.  Could mess with LED lights on keypads to know you are getting close to getting done, etc.

Its trivial and non critical, but it would be fun!

Please post links to the API for your suggestions.

With the introduction of Control4's HC-800 and HC-250 series of controllers, the company changed the IR receiver module which disabled the ability to send IR commands to the Controllers from 3rd party remotes.

This is especially missed in outdoor systems where weather-proof remote controls can no longer be used to send Control4 commands. Global Cache has a great little device that solves this problem, but they never wrote a Control4 driver for it.  Called the GC-IRE IR Extender, this device accepts IR commands and converts them to a digital format.     https://www.globalcache.com/products/other/   

Please write a driver that takes advantage of this. I'm tired of buying used HC-200's that can accept IR commands.

Although this contest is probably rigged, it wouldn't be fair to complain since something is being offered for free.  I'm not going to jump on this "entitlement" bandwagon that seems to be so popular these days...

32 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Although this contest is probably rigged, it wouldn't be fair to complain since something is being offered for free.  I'm not going to jump on this "entitlement" bandwagon that seems to be so popular these days...

Ummm, what is rigged?  Not really a contest, just a community vote to see what will be developed this coming weekend.  The fact that it will be live streamed you will be able to see and participate by asking questions.  

Free world you can complain if you feel the need, but I'm a little lost to what is negative about this.

Just now, THEORY said:

Free world you can complain if you feel the need, but I'm a little lost to what is negative about this.

I'd rather not elaborate but you have good reason to be confused as to what I'm commenting on.  Before I continue, I am not trying to argue, instigate, encourage any bias towards or against, or display any kind of disrespect towards the goal of the original post.  I do not represent or speak for anybody but myself.

Any driver that is being offered for free is a bonus, a gift.  A "don't bite the hand that feeds you" type of situation.  I'm thankful that there are drivers available that fill in the gaps where C4 hasn't filled yet, even if I have to pay.  When I don't have to pay, that's not a negative experience (in my opinion).

I just don't understand why the possibility of another Kodi driver needs to circulate (for free) when the current one (Chowmain) does a really good job.  Same with the Wink (I can't comment on how good/bad that driver is as I do not use it).  Maybe I don't know up from down nor do I know all the history of relationships between developer to developer,  but it seems like there's too much of a driver war happening right now.  There doesn't seem to be any diplomacy.  I know there's no union or 3rd party developer's club where all parties have agree'd to shake hands and not run each other off the road, but I can already see in plain sight what's happening.  When multiple driver's are being released for a single device (sometimes within the same year), its not by accident.

Maybe my thoughts being spoken out loud won't be appreciated.  That's fine with me.  Even if I did develop drivers, I would have no desire to develop publicly because of what I see happening in this environment.  I'm sure a lot of time and money goes into these drivers.  I would be being extremely disappointed if my work was copied and devalued.  I REALLY appreciate the talent that developers like yourself have, along with MANY other's in and out of this forum.  I would hate to see some of you disappear because the competition was rigged to push others out.  

Many apologies if this is not the feedback you were hoping to receive, but please understand that I do appreciate your contributions to this forum.  Best of luck with the live stream.

15 minutes ago, dcovach said:

I'd rather not elaborate but you have good reason to be confused as to what I'm commenting on.  Before I continue, I am not trying to argue, instigate, encourage any bias towards or against, or display any kind of disrespect towards the goal of the original post.  I do not represent or speak for anybody but myself.

Any driver that is being offered for free is a bonus, a gift.  A "don't bite the hand that feeds you" type of situation.  I'm thankful that there are drivers available that fill in the gaps where C4 hasn't filled yet, even if I have to pay.  When I don't have to pay, that's not a negative experience (in my opinion).

I just don't understand why the possibility of another Kodi driver needs to circulate (for free) when the current one (Chowmain) does a really good job.  Same with the Wink (I can't comment on how good/bad that driver is as I do not use it).  Maybe I don't know up from down nor do I know all the history of relationships between developer to developer,  but it seems like there's too much of a driver war happening right now.  There doesn't seem to be any diplomacy.  I know there's no union or 3rd party developer's club where all parties have agree'd to shake hands and not run each other off the road, but I can already see in plain sight what's happening.  When multiple driver's are being released for a single device (sometimes within the same year), its not by accident.

Maybe my thoughts being spoken out loud won't be appreciated.  That's fine with me.  Even if I did develop drivers, I would have no desire to develop publicly because of what I see happening in this environment.  I'm sure a lot of time and money goes into these drivers.  I would be being extremely disappointed if my work was copied and devalued.  I REALLY appreciate the talent that developers like yourself have, along with MANY other's in and out of this forum.  I would hate to see some of you disappear because the competition was rigged to push others out.  

Many apologies if this is not the feedback you were hoping to receive, but please understand that I do appreciate your contributions to this forum.  Best of luck with the live stream.

I don't see anything wrong with providing your point of view.  What I gather from your view point is you see there are things going on behind the curtain, which to an extent is true.  If you read some other posts you can get a little better perspective.  Some drivers are difficult others can be easy, and from one developer to the next that can be vice versa. Our goal is to provide feature rich quality products, and just because something works for some end-users doesn't mean it couldn't be better or have more features for less.

The main purpose of the Live stream is to demonstrate how much easier it is to develop with the tools my partner has built.  These make all aspects of the process simpler, more reliable, easier to add enhanced features.  I am a partner in annex4 but I also own a dealership, some things are built out of necessity, and others out of frustration with existing solutions.  We have put a huge amount of effort over the years to put our company in a position for growth in development of drivers and other related endeavors.  We have worked with a great deal of manufacturers and have more in the works.

So while I can see from your side it looks like why not build something not yet integrated, from ours the interest of user by providing something wanted vs niche and not really used.  Some of the more popular drivers were made because of demand, but we also talk to dealers that have to use these products everyday and ask if we can make them better. 

Why is Ring on this list? We are the official parter with them on Control4 and more automation platforms are coming soon. Any attempts to development a driver for them would result in a cease and desist from Rings legal department which is rather large. 

21 minutes ago, THEORY said:

We have put a huge amount of effort over the years to put our company in a position for growth in development of drivers and other related endeavors.  We have worked with a great deal of manufacturers and have more in the works.

... and that should warrant respect.  In regards to drivers that already exist, I think the same respect should also be given.  At what ends will a developer go to per-fect a perfectly good driver just to claim superiority?  It would never end.  I'm definitely out of my element by suggesting such things so I will stay out of this.  

7 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Why is Ring on this list? We are the official parter with them on Control4 and more automation platforms are coming soon. Any attempts to development a driver for them would result in a cease and desist from Rings legal department which is rather large. 

Interesting as that wasn't mentioned on the phone call I had with them a few months ago.

3 minutes ago, dcovach said:

... and that should warrant respect.  In regards to drivers that already exist, I think the same respect should also be given.  At what ends will a developer go to per-fect a perfectly good driver just to claim superiority?  It would never end.  I'm definitely out of my element by suggesting such things so I will stay out of this.  

I totally understand what you are saying, but perfectly good is subjective as different projects have different needs.

Just now, THEORY said:

Interesting as that wasn't mentioned on the phone call I had with them a few months ago.

hahaha I have been told that you and others have tried to talk to them over and over.. Same goes to when you called Just Add Power and insisted to do their drivers. and they told you no thank you.

Stop copying other peoples work. Try creating drivers that aren't out there. 

6 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

hahaha I have been told that you and others have tried to talk to them over and over.. Same goes to when you called Just Add Power and insisted to do their drivers. and they told you no thank you.

Stop copying other peoples work. Try creating drivers that aren't out there. 

Actually Just Add Power said yes, then you chimed in and said anything had to have your approval.  Of which you didn't make the drivers, and they paid for theirs to be made, so if someone offers to make something better as we are asked numerous times from other dealers why not.  All you did was squash them providing a better solution.  They told us feel free to build a driver if you like, and provided all the documentation.

Hopefully your Ring driver with SIP is a killer solution as it's been in the works for most of the year now.  I guess as long as it's better then the whole Irrigation Caddy scenario it should be good for all.

Just now, THEORY said:

Actually Just Add Power said yes, then you chimed in and said anything had to have your approval.  Of which you didn't make the drivers, and they paid for theirs to be made, so if someone offers to make something better as we are asked numerous times from other dealers.  All you did was squash them providing a better solution.  They told us feel free to build a driver if you like, and provided all the documentation.

Hopefully your Ring driver with SIP is a killer solution as it's been in the works for most of the year now.  I guess as long as it's better then the whole Irrigation Caddy scenario it should be good for all.

That is not correct. There will be a slew of new things for Just Add Power and C4 very soon. I am confused why a Control4 dealer is asking you to re-write a Just Add Power driver. That does not make much sense. 

I can not post specifics as to why there is no SIP driver but its not our fault. 

Also not sure how I had anything to do with Irrigation Caddy? The company had a good product, it took a negative turn and they went out of business. My driver worked fine.

Why are you talking so much trash in this very small community? 

1 minute ago, Kevin L said:

That is not correct. There will be a slew of new things for Just Add Power and C4 very soon. I am confused why a Control4 dealer is asking you to re-write a Just Add Power driver. That does not make much sense. 

I can not post specifics as to why there is no SIP driver but its not our fault. 

Also not sure how I had anything to do with Irrigation Caddy? The company had a good product, it took a negative turn and they went out of business. My driver worked fine.

Why are you talking so much trash in this very small community? 

You are the one that came talking trash.  Go read your post.

We talk to numerous dealers about what divers they would like and what drivers they have problems with.  We have been asked a great deal of times to make the JAP drivers better.  Not sure what part confuses you, people want better and easier integration.

Did I say the Irrigation Caddy driver was bad? I just said the scenario.

Best of luck with the new things in the pipe for JAP, your other lines, and the new driver store.  

Archived