C4 Forums | Control4

OT: Sonos help needed/ not C4 related

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Show the customer signal from phone -> amp is fine. Then show them phone -> Sonos. Their crap design is (should be) their problem.

Did that and also used one of their own phones.  Still thinks it’s my problem because I supplied the connects. 

4 minutes ago, knowitall said:

Line in output?

try line out?

do you have connect or connect:amp?

Thanks for the responses but it does help to read the thread as these were already answered.  There is no variable or fixed setting for line-in.  Only line out, so yes, tried that.

Again, to summarize, streaming services using the connect= no problems, audio volume is great.

Only line-in sources are extremely low to the point where it is barely audible.  Installed an inline booster, audio became audible but still zero headroom to get any louder.

User devices' volume all the way up, Sonos volume all the way up.  Tech support was useless and said everything looks normal to them.  Google shows many complaining about same problems but tough to distinguish whether Sonos problem or user setup problem and no resolutions posted.

27 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Hate to ask - but DID you check the cables in use - particularly are you sure they are true stereo cables?

From audio plates to connects, we are using 18/2 shielded.  Audio plate is 3 pin Phoenix terminal output and using Phoenix to 3.5 male tied to female 3.5 to rca adapting cables.

when I wire the plates directly to the amp there are zero issues.  Sounds the way it should.

as soon as we introduce the line-in on the connect, everything goes to poop. 

31 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

I would hammer on Sonos support, then. If you can get replacements (and the issue isn't resolved), then the client should be willing to try something else.

That’s the current plan but they’ve said they looked at the diagnostics and looks fine.

Customer is at their wits end for other ongoing reasons at this project, which have nothing to do with us.  But I feel they are just being jerks in general because of those situations.  I’ve tried to show them all our testing procedures and they just don’t want to reason that it’s not our fault.

Aka: GC really screwed the pooch on this project and a lot of trades have done shotty work.  I feel bad for them but that’s what happens when you don’t want to pay architects to put everything on paper.  You DO get what you pay for.

I could go on and on about the crap I’ve seen in this project.

Electricians that can’t bend conduit?? Ever hear that one?  About sums it all up right there.

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

ROFL

Oh you have no idea!!

The screaming battles that we’ve had with them would blow anyone’s mind.

Customer moved in on time somehow (I think GC paid inspectors for CoO) a month ago, which was a month late to original date.  Still have months of work to be completed, while customer runs a business in the same space.  Can’t make this shit up.

Now I’m venting and need to stop.

Sounds like a nightmare, for sure.  I'd also be concerned that its all 6 sonos, I've got 5 Connects and just tried setting them up similarly just as a test.  They all worked fine...

Have you thought about testing the voltage of the Line-Out, both when its streaming and when your using the line-in setup? Fixed mode voltage should be around 1.7v.  If your in variable mode it should be 0 - 1.7 depending on volume.  Also what is the voltage of the signal going into the Sonos? 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:57 PM, lippavisual said:

whole project is a shit show

LMAO.

I'm only chiming in because I had a similar issue with running 3.5mm out to LINE IN on my amp. Turned out it was a cable issue. All 3.5mm males aren't the same. 3.5mm to RCA and (we still have a) Radio Shack geek showed me the difference. My dealer wasn't aware of this, nor was I, so I thought I'd throw this out there. @Cyknight pointed out, even after I got the right cable, I added a 3.5mm extension and problem resurfaced. Only reliable solution was to get the 3.5mm to RCA that worked right, and then if an extension was needed put it from RCA to RCA. Too many variables in the 3.5mm male and female connections to mess it up. For me, anyway.

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

I've used a multimeter to make sure the pins on the 3.5 plugs and sockets have the correct pinouts to the phoenix terminals.

I get that, but unfortunately I still suspect the 3.5mm connection - if not the wire, it could well be the 3.5mm sockets...I feel for you man.

Archived