C4 Forums | Control4

3.0 Honeywell Vista 128 BPT Houselogix Driver

Hello! I will try to tell you about my experience so far an hope to be helpful.

I own an EA-5 running in version 2.10.6 and a Honeywell Vista 128 BPT with 4 partitions.

1.       I have bought the Houselogix driver that cost USD 125.00 two years ago. The driver worked fine and I wanted to upgrade the system to OS3.0. As I try to upgrade I had to run a compatibility test to check my system. This test told me the Houselogix driver was built using security proxy V1 and it had to be upgraded to V2. I have contacted Houselogix (now SnapAV) and first they told me the  problem was not the driver and that was an issue with OS3.0. Then after I sent them the error message they agreed the problem was the driver but, and I quote, “There’s a good chance that it won’t be updated” and they never returned again about that. So I spent USD 125.00 and the company does not care about it. Doesn’t seem a serious company.

2.       So I have bought two Honeywell CBM4232 and another Vista 128 BPT panel. That’s because the C4 driver only supports 3 partitions. So I have 3 partitions in one panel and another partition in the other panel. Also, you cannot use TotalConnect and the C4 driver together as they use the same RIS device number.

3.       BUT I had one other issue: the variables sometimes do not work well with this driver and sometimes are just “blank”. Another issue was that once the driver is logged into a partition I was not receiving any alarms from the others. So I had to create alarms for every zone individually just using the only variable it was working: if the partition was armed or not.

I have not upgraded to OS3.0 yet but the tests show me the system can now be upgraded. Probably I will wait a bit longer to be sure about OS3.0 upgrade.

Thanks, this is all great info.  Let me see if I can summarize the options for the Honeywell Vista 128BPT.

1. I can use the Honeywell CBM module as long as I have 3 or fewer partitions, but I have to give up TotalConnect. This will work with OS3, however.

2. I cannot use the HouseLogix driver for the Honeywell 128BPT if I upgrade to OS3.

One question I'm still not quite clear on:  If I bought the HSIM module and the HouseLogix driver for it, which SnapAV seems to be selling, would that work with OS3 and with TotalConnect? I understand that we can't be certain of whether Snap will support this in the future, but would that work today?

27 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I don't think the driver supports the 128

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So, for what it's worth, here is the Snap documentation comparing CBM and HSIM.  It lists 128BPT as a compatible panel in the HSIM panel, but there is no discussion of the Control4 driver anywhere in this sheet. Is that the hangup?  The HSIM works with 128BPT, but just not on Control4?

Sorry to be obtuse, and thanks for the clarification!

9 minutes ago, DLite said:

So, for what it's worth, here is the Snap documentation comparing CBM and HSIM.  It lists 128BPT as a compatible panel in the HSIM panel, but there is no discussion of the Control4 driver anywhere in this sheet. Is that the hangup?  The HSIM works with 128BPT, but just not on Control4?

Sorry to be obtuse, and thanks for the clarification!

my understanding is the ccontrol4 driver for the CBM doesn't support 128

my understanding is that the HSIM driver doesn't support OS 3. 

59 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

my understanding is the ccontrol4 driver for the CBM doesn't support 128

my understanding is that the HSIM driver doesn't support OS 3. 

Got it, thanks a lot.  That's a bummer, but I'm glad I learned it before an upgrade broke all our security system programming!

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

I wonder if now that Snap A/V lens both Houselogix AND Control4 if these drivers will get maintained again?

That would be great, although it kind of seems like the HouseLogix drivers are just being allowed to fade away.  I can only hope that someone comes out with an OS3-compatible driver/hardware interface solution.  This is a sticky problem for us, since our security system plays a central role in many of our automations.

Hi, guys.

Let me try to help everyone again… This is what I have in my system:

Honeywell Vista 128 BPT with 4 partitions and 92 zones.

Control4 EA5 running on OS 2.10.

As I wanted to upgrade my OS system to OS3 I have run the installer. Once I did that the software runs a complete check on the system and tells me what is not going to work with OS3. Speaker points were one of the things but the main problem was with the security driver.

I was running the Houselogix (SnapAV) Honeywell Vista BPT driver. As I have a BPT panel (has a serial connector on board!) that driver did not require any other hardware but a serial cable to connect to Control4. It was working quite well but then I had the OS3 tests results and I had to find another option. I have contacted SnapAV and their las reply on this issue was: “Any driver developed by Houselogix will no longer be updated. This is why we stopped selling drivers on March 31st. We unfortunately didn’t know any better about the v1 security proxy the first time we talked. The driver unfortunately will not work with OS 3.” They are talking about my driver, the Honeywell Vista BPT. I do not have the HSIM hardware and never tried it!

Just like @PKGarcia and @sweekley's customers, I am also using the HouseLogix 128BPT driver and the panel's built-in RS232 connection.  I am not using HSIM or any other additional hardware in my current setup.  

Has anyone out there tried an HSIM with the 128BPT panel in OS3? 

2 hours ago, DLite said:

Just like @PKGarcia and @sweekley's customers, I am also using the HouseLogix 128BPT driver and the panel's built-in RS232 connection.  I am not using HSIM or any other additional hardware in my current setup.  

Has anyone out there tried an HSIM with the 128BPT panel in OS3? 

Yes, this is my problem! We have to find a driver that Works with OS3 and the Vista BPT panel. I am using the Control4 driver now and testing with this panel and I made it work but with several restrictions. I would really like a suitable driver!

As per driver documentation it is only compatible with VISTA-15P, VISTA-15PSIA, VISTA-20P, VISTA-20PSIA. FA160CP and FA168C (Version 9.1 or Higher). VISTA-21IP and VISTA-21iPSIA (Version 3.13 or Higher). Eventough the 4232CBM module is compatible with Vista BPT panels.

Just to be sure I am understanding what has been posted above...

It sounds like we can use a Vista 128BPT with OS3 if using the CBM module?  However, we cannot have over 3 partitions and cannot use Total Connect at the same time?  Is that correct? 

If so, what driver does this setup require?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, indecision said:

It sounds like we can use a Vista 128BPT with OS3 if using the CBM module?  However, we cannot have over 3 partitions and cannot use Total Connect at the same time?  Is that correct? 

Thanks!

No! The Control4 driver does not work 100% with my 128BPT. As I mentioned above the driver only works with the panels stated above. But I tried it and I am using 2 panels with 2 partitions each. The variables do not work everytime so I cannot trust to use them. The only variable that worked everytime was the one that states if the partition is armed or not. So I had to do all programming manually for every zone that opens. I also could not trust the variables that says when the partition is alarmed, armed, cleared, etc.  

We are working on a large commercial project where another company will be installing the burglar alarm system. They always install Honeywell and will want to use a 128bpt on this project.  We are partial to DSC so I am not very familiar with Honeywell. We have about 30 zones so a Vista 20p should be able to handle it.  Is that the best way to go to ensure compatibility with OS3?

Thanks!

On 8/17/2019 at 4:17 AM, indecision said:

Thanks!

Based on the discussion above, I think the following conclusions can be drawn:

1. OS3 is incompatible with the HouseLogix Vista 128BPT driver, which relies on the 128BPT panel's own native RS232 connection.

2. The Vista 128BPT will not work with the CBM module, because Honeywell's CBM driver for Control4 supports only what Honeywell considers to be "residential" panels.  (Perhaps Honeywell is assuming we can use the built-in RS232 connection in its commercial panels.)

3. The Vista 128BPT will work with OS3 provided you use the HSIM hardware to connect it to Control4.  This solution also appears compatible with Honeywell TotalConnect.  However, as others have noted, the HSIM driver is no longer being updated by SnapAV after its acquisition of HouseLogix, so there is a higher risk of the driver becoming obsolete in the future.

4. Any of Honeywell's "residential" panels, including the Vista 20p, should work with OS3 and the CBM hardware.

Please feel very free to correct any of this if I have misunderstood the discussion!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.