C4 Forums | Control4

BAF Haiku Fans

anon2828

Q1: I am having terrible problems keeping BAF (Big Ass Fans) Haiku L Series fans on my WiFi network.  They are dropping off all of the time and sometimes won't reconnect at all.  We have 2 access points upstairs (700 Series Araknis) and 2 access points downstairs (700 Series Araknis). (*also have 1 access point in Garage and 1 outside).  Any configuration ideas or tips would be appreciated.  Have already done all of the required troubleshooting on the fans (resets, etc).  All other smart IOT devices in the home work without issue (though some I have had to put on the dedicated 2.4Ghz network).

Q2: Is there a BAF Haiku driver for Control4?  What can it do?

Hi

I have 4 Haiku fans including 1 Haiku L fan over two separate C4 systems and using the paid driver on each site.

I have had them become unresponsive a couple of times over the two years, but other than that they have been rock solid. I do have them running on their own dedicated SSID.

I have created a room called Fan Reset with a non dimming light that controls the power for each fan, in the event of them becoming unresponsive, I toggle the power for 10 seconds from a touchscreen, and they come back online.

I am using Dlink DWL-8610AP access points.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul.  Great ideas there.  Looking for any similar experiences to help me get to the bottom of this.  BAF (the fan company) technical support really hasn't been that helpful outside of now sending some replacement WiFi modules for the fans to see if that helps.  Mine were also rock solid until the 6/24/19 WiFi firmware update that got pushed to the fans.  Wish I had never pushed that...

I am also using the latest firmware for the L fans, and not actually had it lock up since the update in early August.

I also used to have a couple of the wall controllers, and these were a pain in the backside for resetting and losing the wireless settings.

I replaced them with control4 keypads last year, and a much better experience was had by everyone.

Paul

HI The driver contains a mapping between the 4 fan speeds that control 4 can handle to 4 out of the 7 speeds that the fan can handle.

This allows the touchscreens and C4 apps to control the fan.

For the wall switch, I used 2 custom keypads, as my old fan had two separate switch for the fan and light operation..

On the first keypad, I had buttons for Light Off, Light On, Light +, Light -, on the 2nd one I had Fan Off, Fan Speed 1, Fan Speed 2, Fan Speed 3, Fan Speed 4.

Then created the programming to control the fan and light

Hope this helps

Paul

Paul - are you for sure running the 6/24/19 WiFi module firmware?  That is what broke things for me (I believe).  Just received today the replacement WiFi modules that are not flashed with the latest firmware and I am looking forward to seeing if the problem is resolved.  Then just have to remember to never allow the app to update the firmware ever again...

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've had some Baf haiku fans for a couple of years. They have worked perfectly until about a month ago Jan 2021. Now they constantly drop of wifi for a few days and then reappear on the network. The disappointing thing is zero customer service. They are just blaming an update... this has been going on for weeks and nothing. For products that cost thousands$$ this is unbelievable hence this post. They are the only product in my smart home dropping out and actually the most expensive. Liftx, dyson, Apple even smart life are working fine but Baf are making no effort to sort it out super disappointing. 

I am on L-Series Version 2.6.1.  Have had no issues and refuse to update the firmware from here out until someone can confirm that it is still working in later versions.  Was pulling my hair out with fans dropping until the 2.6.1 update.

Latest update appears to be 2.6.2 updated on Nov 2, 2020.  Not going there for now...

2 hours ago, anon2828 said:

I am on L-Series Version 2.6.1.  Have had no issues and refuse to update the firmware from here out until someone can confirm that it is still working in later versions.  Was pulling my hair out with fans dropping until the 2.6.1 update.

Latest update appears to be 2.6.2 updated on Nov 2, 2020.  Not going there for now...

Mine are updated on latest firmware and no dropouts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.