C4 Forums | Control4

Where do you professionals get your TVs for your customers?

JakeFromSF

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

So a dealer should go get a TV at Costco and sell it for more?

Sure, what do I have to gain by going to a distributor and buying it versus going to Costco, Best Buy, Amazon and buying it? Especially if it's a better price than whatever the local AV distributor is?

no lol.. the dealer in my area was telling me all his customers are buying tv's at Costco because he gives them a quote for tvs usually Sony and customers won't buy because they find cheaper prices at Costco so they end up buying those..  Its where I got most of my tvs. I just need picture I could care less if its 4K or not.. as long as its somewhat clear..so its just not worth the money.  I got one 75:" Sony from my dealer and have had it replaced 3 times already.. I told him the next one its going in the trash...  since that experience I had to get a 75" for another project and decided to go back to Samsung at Costco and its been great..  My friends just got an LG 86 and it was like $2K.  and it looks great and works perfect with his C4 system..  that's cheaper than the 75" Sony I got 2 years ago. and its bigger.. lol. Anyways was just trying to say its hard to beat prices from Costco and other box stores...

48 minutes ago, THawes said:

Sure, what do I have to gain by going to a distributor and buying it versus going to Costco, Best Buy, Amazon and buying it? Especially if it's a better price than whatever the local AV distributor is?

Arguably nothing, though you may need some better distributors.

Client wants the Costco TV, go get a Costco TV. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pick it up 🤨 Well unless you all would like to pay me the hourly rate to go do it for you...

6 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Costco/Sams Club and the like have a deal with the TV manufacturers.  They get the bottom of the barrel TV's for all the brands,  That's why they are so cheap.

At least it was this way a few years back when I had to research something on this subject.

still is - the Samsung models for example at Costco you can't get anywhere else...and are missing features....

Atleast for me it has picture and c4 can turn it on and off that’s all I need.  I don’t use any features inside the tv so it works for me and a lot of my friends that have c4 as well. I’d rather buy a good receiver and good speakers than spend the $ on all these crazy enhanced tv’s.   My 16x16 leaf doesn’t  push 4K so no real need for 4K tv.  And even the 4K tv I have I had to change Comcast to 1080p so it plays on all TVs.  I don’t kind color looks good for our purposes. I can’t really tell that much of a difference between by 1080ps and 4K but it’s all good. C4 is great system. 

15 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Costco/Sams Club and the like have a deal with the TV manufacturers.  They get the bottom of the barrel TV's for all the brands,  That's why they are so cheap.

At least it was this way a few years back when I had to research something on this subject.

When you say ‘bottom of the barrel’ do you mean average in features and screen technology?  For me, over the years I’ve changed my outlook on how I buy TVs. Back at n ‘95 I ‘splurged’ $3k on a 30-something-inch tv  and expected to keep it many years. Now, I just bought a $2k, 86” TV and am fine replacing it in about five years.  With the velocity of technology these days I think it’s  more common for people to buy a more average level device and replace it more often. 

I have 9 TVs in my house and I would generally buy the biggest and best for my media room and then cascade this down to kitchen, office, bedrooms, etc.  That worked well until you get to about 65" TVs as then the TV can become too small for some rooms.  My media room has a relatively old 80" Sharp 1080p TV from back in the days when Sharp was still a Japanese company.  But it is too big to put in other rooms in my house.

My friend got a 86” tv at costco.. LG and its amazing.. and it was like $2K,.., If i had the wall space for that I’d get it in a heartbeat but I don’t have the space for that big of a tv.. but I’m with you on TV’s...  my parents have c4 now and they still have basic cable with 10 year old samsung flat screen that takes about 4 people to pull off the wall since its so heavy.. but it still works..  and 55” tv’s today you can get for about $400 bucks.. I think I saw a 65” for like $800 bucks.  And if it goes out trash it and get a new one..  that’s my feeling.. color still looks good and it works. Unless you are in a room with all types of Tv’s you can tell a difference in resolution, but once you bring it home I cant really tell a difference..  and most Time we just watch basic cable anyways or you tube that my daughter wants to watch so i figure biggest tv at cheapest price and i stick with samsung 

Costco even on a good day isn’t selling TV’s for what my distributors are.

Is Costco sometimes very competitive when compared to bestbuy etc? yes...

Can you get a better deal going to an independent shop, spending some time, and creating a relationship. 100%! I don’t do retail but a buddy of mine does have a showroom and if you walk in, ask questions and have some friendly conversation you will walk out with a considerably cheaper price then you will at almost any big box, unless your getting a demo model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Costco even on a good day isn’t selling TV’s for what my distributors are.

Is Costco sometimes very competitive when compared to bestbuy etc? yes...

Can you get a better deal going to an independent shop, spending some time, and creating a relationship. 100%! I don’t do retail but a buddy of mine does have a showroom and if you walk in, ask questions and have some friendly conversation you will walk out with a considerably cheaper price then you will at almost any big box, unless your getting a demo model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s crazy. A good friend of mine is a buyer at a large ($1B + revenue in Utah) home goods store that sells TV’s. He said most TV’s are sold at a loss, and then they get a reimbursement from the manufacturer that leaves them with less than a 2% margin. 

1 minute ago, JakeFromSF said:

It was the same model so he says but from what im hearing above in this thread is maybe the Costco TVs are similar but have missing features?

I would bet a drink that the model # was not the same, it was probably close and 1 - 2 digits off...

Just now, msgreenf said:

I would bet a drink that the model # was not the same, it was probably close and 1 - 2 digits off...

I bet you are right. I didn't give him the model number nor did he give me his. Regardless, the TV I quoted was off Amazon because i couldn't find dealer pricing on them anywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.