C4 Forums | Control4

Multi zone landscape lighting control off of one transformer

I am installing some new landscape lighting and was hoping to get some ideas on a straightforward way to setup control of multiple zones from a single transformer. I currently have a couple of “zones” in the front that I independently control via separate transformers that are each plugged into Wemos. A bit clunky but works fine.

We now redid our backyard area and we want to install some low voltage lights that can Ideally be independently controlled as probably 3 or 4 different zones. I‘d really prefer to not have to buy 3 or 4 transformers plus the wemos plus wire in all of the additional outlets. There has to be a cleaner approach. The lights are all LEDs so I’m looking at maybe 30W per zone so that much transformer power is also overkill.

Are there any options out there were I can trigger the zones on the low voltage side of the transformer (12V) through independently C4 controllable relays? All of the landscape wires go to the same location, where there is also Ethernet and WiFi so I’ve got all of the connectivity I need.

Appreciate any thoughts...

46 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Have you thought about something outlet or switch based and just power the transformers on and off?

That’s the approach I currently use. I was hoping to find a way to operate 3 zones off of just one transformer rather than needing to buy more transformers and wemos and adding another outlet box.

• 1 month later...

Looked into several options and had similar issue.  I ended up switching over everything for both front and backyard to FX Luminaire/Holm system.  Their transformers can be networked together and controlled very well either thru their own app or thru the integration they offer with Control4.  It was a bit costly but the reliability has been great.

• 9 months later...

Works very well these days.  Was pretty flaky a couple of years ago when I first installed it, but there's been a lot of updates since then.  Controller used to drop off the system fairly often, but seems solid now.  Mine are CAT6 hard wired back to a local switch which obviously helps.  C4 driver works well enough - nothing special, but you can trigger scenes.  No color wheel or anything fancy.

Fx luminaire has been working flawlessly here. The driver is also very reliable. It is simple to program and change colors on the fly. You do the programming  of colors and scenes in the luminaire app then trigger scenes in composer.  The app has the color wheel

The setup is easy. You just need the app. I think you can  find the lighting online but it will be the same price as a control4 dealer who you need to configure the driver on composer anyway. 

I keep adding to my fx system, it’s addicting 

You need the luminaire controller with built in transformer. There are 2 different types. White or rgbw led. 
I would just run all new 10 gauge wiring as the main line then if the fixtures wires are not long enough you can extend with 12 gauge wire. 

if you want color , which is super cool you need this controller  which supports 300 watts it lighting but depends on distance and cable gauge  I think I have 1 run 200 feet and another 175 feet and have about 24 color fixtures  

FX-LUX-300-SS

I have created several scenes with different colors. I think it looks cool but my wife is not impressed and only likes white , but since I’m the only one who knows how to adjust colors , my house stands out with lots of colors.

I start out the scene dim and gradually increase the intensity to 75. They are super bright so 100 is extreme. 

2 hours ago, dinom said:

Which fixtures are you using?  Snap AV only has a few options and finishes available, while the FXL website shows many more styles. Looking at path lighting initially. 

For what it’s worth my local nursery / garden center sells FX.  They installed for me but I didn’t go with the FXL series just standard outdoor lighting products 

so you can likely find someone other than snap that sells it 

For the most part , you will easily create your schedules and scenes in the app. Your control4 dealer will give you some buttons or possibly include those fx scenes in your c4 scenes. 

It’s Mostly one of those set it and forget it things you do. But it sure is wicked cool making your house purple with orange trees when you show people. 

here is how it shows In composer. Just like regular control4  lights. Changing colors in the c4 app is only done through scenes. So when I want to change colors I launch the fx app. 

09B13960-98D8-4F58-881F-36B5B42B31DB.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.