C4 Forums | Control4

Ring versus Nest Doorbell

I’m solely looking for opinions based on experiences with these two devices only. I understand there’s better solutions. And I am fully aware of their integration (or non integration) capabilities.

I am encountering one or the other at almost every new client project. And they clients really aren’t going to spring for a DS2. I happen to have a Nest myself, with a Ring Pro on my desk pending.

The Nest response time is pretty slow, so I am wondering if I’d have more success with the Ring Pro response times. The network is great, but there is no easy way to get ethernet to that area.

Which in your experience is snappier wirelessly? For me, I’ll personally will be going a different direction, but I have two Nest (existing) clients that have asked whether to go Ring (they have floods etc) or keep the Nest. Same complaints from them and motion or press programming isn’t a concern right now.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all of the cloud based system always seem to have issues and have only been getting worse with more people on the internet in homes and around the world. Ring may be your best option at least if the intercom does not work you can still have control4 ring the bell through all of the speakers in the house.

I have a Ring Elite at my call box on my front gate and a nest hello on my front door. I prefer the Ring hands down over the Nest. It definitely is much quicker for app launch not only connection to camera, and is actually still decently functional without the subscription. It also integrates directly with Alexa much better, which would make sense, but still nice since I have like 25 echos throughout my house. :)

I started with the Nest and then when I built my front gate I went with the Ring Elite because I could Ethernet POE to it (250ft run). Had I started the other way, I probably would have never tried the Nest, but started with Nest since everything inside my home is Nest (4 thermostats, I think like 10 Nest protects)  

10 hours ago, Jfizzle said:

YMMV but IMO, the Ring needs an AP within 20 feet (and not the Chime) or the lag will make it suck for live interaction. And nest sucks. 

How do you figure? The bits are being exchanged at 2.4 or 5Ghz, so 20 or 40 feet shouldn't make a difference?

9 hours ago, chudel said:

How do you figure? The bits are being exchanged at 2.4 or 5Ghz, so 20 or 40 feet shouldn't make a difference?

Just my home experience hence the YMMV comment. My office is next to the front door and when I had an AP in it, ring would quickly snap to live, allow me to talk on the microphone, etc. 

Since then I have relocated the AP to various distances and any further away than in my office, the live connectivity has sucked. Spinning circles, delays, etc. The sweet spot in my experimentation was within about 20 feet, so in my office or in the dining room area. If it had to connect to living room or to an upstairs AP it was slow getting into live and working within live. 

I have a pro at my front door on 5 GHz AP is probably in the 20-ft range and it works perfect. The r ing rapid app also greatly enhances the connection experience

I agree, the ring is hands-down our option for less expensive video doorbells. And there is certainly no 20 foot limitations with regard to Wi-Fi access points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Ring Pro. Even with the Rapid Ring app it is pretty slow and fails with "Front Door Connection is too weak." Even though my phone and laptop have great connections in the front yard further away, I guess it has a poor antenna.

FWIW, I do not have an Arlo doorbell, but have some of the Arlo cameras. They come up twice as fast as the Ring and hold the connection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.