C4 Forums | Control4

Is it possible to switch directors from an HC800 to an EA1 in the same project? (No intercom available on HC800 3.2)

Hi. Complicated situation.

House runs on an HC800 installed years ago. We wanted to upgrade to OS3, and since we only use the on-screen navigator in the master bedroom, we added an EA1 for more IO, as a ZAP, and navigator. We also have a DS2, WALL7, and a TT7.

The problem is, we don't see the native "Intercom" on the OS3 app. Apparently, it's because the director is an HC800 (is this accurate?). The DS2 rings on Intercom Anywhere, but I understand it'll stop working for OS3 devices in the next month. 

First... is this right? Or do we need to tweak something to get "Intercom" working on the native OS3 app running off an HC800.

Now, second: if not, would it be possible to "switch" directors? It's a small project, and I believe the EA1 can handle it. But what would the process be to change the director from the HC800 to the EA1?

Maybe I'll use an EA3 instead of the HC800 int he future, but for now... Any tips?
Thank you in advance for your help.

To be clear an HC800 can run intercom just fine. So no worries there.

The IOS intercom app isnt unified yet. Download the Intercom anywhere app. The IOS app will be unified very soon so not sure how long you will even need ti IA app.

If you are on adroid the app is already unified and working great.

Likely your issue is because your on IOS

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

FYI - other than OSD the HC-800 is more capable than the EA-1 in running a C4 system due to a better CPU.  It also has WAY more IO, especially audio outputs. But the video outputs are now pretty much useless.

I wouldn't REMOVE the HC800, I'd switch directors (so the project "runs" on an EA) and keep them in their current IO duties. 

On 11/26/2020 at 2:11 PM, BraydonH said:

To be clear an HC800 can run intercom just fine. So no worries there.

The IOS intercom app isnt unified yet. Download the Intercom anywhere app. The IOS app will be unified very soon so not sure how long you will even need ti IA app.

If you are on adroid the app is already unified and working great.

Likely your issue is because your on IOS

Since Intercom Anywhere is going away on OS3 systems, I'm scared that maybe I can't see the Intercom setting in the [Android] app because it's running an HC800.

20 hours ago, zaphod said:

FYI - other than OSD the HC-800 is more capable than the EA-1 in running a C4 system due to a better CPU.  It also has WAY more IO, especially audio outputs. But the video outputs are now pretty much useless.

1.2 GHz dual-core X86 versus single core 1.8GHz

8gb memory vs 4gb 

2gb RAM vs 1gb 

14 hours ago, Uh-Wise said:

Since Intercom Anywhere is going away on OS3 systems, I'm scared that maybe I can't see the Intercom setting in the [Android] app because it's running an HC800.

OK this needs to be clarified.

First, 'Intercom anywhere' isn't GOING AWAY in OS3. The two apps Control4 currently has for end-users, the Intercom Anywhere App and the Control4 app are being MERGED into a single app so that you don't need ot have two apps, and possibly switch from one to the other (to open a door or gate for example)

This has NOTHING to do with what is running your system's operating system. In fact it doesn't even really have anything to do with the operating system at all to begin with.

You WILL NOT 'lose' any intercom capability because you're running an HC800 vs an EA1. Not right now, not when the apps are merged in iOS like they are now on Android, and not that I in any way know of in the near future.

Cyknight +1

The only thing an HC800 can't do in 3.x is GUI

Could you swap directors, yes, but there's no reason to, and you'll loose processing overhead, especially in the audio side.

The only 'oddity' with the merge is that OS3.x will require the merged app shortly once fully baked, where OS2.x systems will still use the split app. An advantage to the split apps is that you could have say a caretaker have the intercom app but not the Control4 app, allowing them to answer the gate, but not adjust lighting for instance.

5 hours ago, AVNeeds said:

1.2 GHz dual-core X86 versus single core 1.8GHz

8gb memory vs 4gb 

2gb RAM vs 1gb 

Which is which?  I am pretty sure that the HC-800 has a dual core 1.8GHz CPU and 2GB of RAM.  Source is RyanE's post here: 

But this web page shows different info: https://smart-story.ru/files/products/controllers/control4_ea-1/ea-1-performance-comparison-rev-a.pdf

And the HC-800 spec sheet also says dual core 1.8GHz:  https://www.control4.com/docs/product/hc-800/data-sheet/english/latest/hc-800-data-sheet-rev-b.pdf

On 11/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, Cyknight said:

OK this needs to be clarified.

First, 'Intercom anywhere' isn't GOING AWAY in OS3. The two apps Control4 currently has for end-users, the Intercom Anywhere App and the Control4 app are being MERGED into a single app so that you don't need ot have two apps, and possibly switch from one to the other (to open a door or gate for example)

This has NOTHING to do with what is running your system's operating system. In fact it doesn't even really have anything to do with the operating system at all to begin with.

You WILL NOT 'lose' any intercom capability because you're running an HC800 vs an EA1. Not right now, not when the apps are merged in iOS like they are now on Android, and not that I in any way know of in the near future.

Hi, Cyknight. Big fan.

Any insights on why I can't see the Intercom menu in the OS3 app (Android)? Agent is running. Devices Idle. Tech said it was the HC800. 

1 hour ago, Uh-Wise said:

Hi, Cyknight. Big fan.

Any insights on why I can't see the Intercom menu in the OS3 app (Android)? Agent is running. Devices Idle. Tech said it was the HC800. 

Hard to say from my perspective.

Now, there COULD be an ISSUE with the HC800, but there is no specific issue using an HC800 for intercom that I'm aware of. I can tell you I was at a client a week ago running a DS2 on an HC800, OS 3.1.3 and intercom is fine.

Potential HC800 issues:

-Non-license version so you don't have access to the app in general, which I could then see being an issue with the merged app.

-Some internal issue with your specific HC800 causing it.

I would seek the issue first and foremost in the doorstation though. If you were updated from 2.x, then there were numerous security updates, which I've seen cause issues until the device is factory reset, and password and user allowances were updated in the unit's own web interface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.