C4 Forums | Control4

Weird network issues

pinkoos

So technically not a Control4 issue in and of itself, but I thought I'd try to pick the brains of the network experts in the forum:

-Starting maybe a couple months ago, we would all of a sudden lose internet access

-Lights on all the hardware (modem, router, switch, POE switch, etc) were normal

-Comcast wouldn't be reporting any outages in my area with their automated system whenever the connection was lost

-Rebooting the cable modem (unplug/re-plug) would solve the issue and bring the connection back

-Rebooting the network hardware would NOT bring the connection back

-Frequency was initially maybe once a week but then increased to maybe 2 to 3 times per week a couple of weeks ago

-I incidentally happened to notice that Comcast said my modem was no longer supported b/c of my speed (had increased my plan to the 200mbps plan back in Oct/Nov I believe)

-Bought a new modem a couple of weeks ago (Motorola MB7621) which is supported by Comcast on my plan

-Thought the problem was gone, but it recurred over the weekend

-Again, all lights operating normally on modem and network hardware and the only way to get the connection back up is rebooting the modem

-Tried swapping out a new CAT5 between modem and router a couple of days ago, but the network went down again this morning, so it must not be a bad ethernet cable issue

-Funny thing is that when the network goes down, some wifi devices still work and others don't; and, some hardwired devices still work and others don't

-For example, our wifi phones/laptops don't connect, but our Google Nest Hubs do

-Also for example, my hardwired Mac doesn't connect, but our hardwired Apple TVs do

-For the outage over the weekend, my dealer had requested I try plugging a laptop directly into the modem and see if it would connect, but I got a message saying that the laptop has given itself a self-assigned IP address (or something like that) and, so, doesn't have an internet connection

-I'm totally perplexed with this issue but need to figure out what's going on b/c I have one kid who is doing virtual and if the network goes down, so does his Zoom - we've already had one day where he had to use his phone as a hotspot and connect his laptop to that for the whole school day

Thanks in advance!

52 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Has Comcast looked at your cable from the street to your modem?

This. I had similar problems. Blamed my owned equipment,  replaced it with their equipment found the same problem. Replaced the drop from my roof to the modem / internal cable and then I had to schlep their equipment back to them. 

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

Figured as much.  Set your WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1

DO NOT use the provided Comcast DNS.  Your dealer should be able to find a tech note for these turds.

Thank you, but I'm confused - do you think it's an Araknis issue, Comcast issue or both?

Also, the tech note to which you refer is regarding Comcast or Araknis?

2 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Is this the same issue you had two years ago?  I see folks recommended the DNS server change then.  Did you try that (maybe it's already been done and thus some other issue)?

I couldn't remember but went through that thread and it looks like they replaced the router from a 300 to a 310 at that time

Not sure if they changed the DNS after that or not

8 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I only see the option to change DNS servers 1 and 2

Where would I enter the 3rd entry?

2 will do, not all routers (in fact most consumer grades and many business models don't) support 3 or more. any combination of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both google) and/or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare Public DNS) or 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 (Cisco OpenDNS) will do.

While this is something of an Araknis glitch, it is generally a good idea to use the static options over your ISP provided ones, as they are simply faster in resolving than (most) ISP DNS servers.

7 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

2 will do, not all routers (in fact most consumer grades and many business models don't) support 3 or more. any combination of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both google) and/or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare Public DNS) or 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 (Cisco OpenDNS) will do.

While this is something of an Araknis glitch, it is generally a good idea to use the static options over your ISP provided ones, as they are simply faster in resolving than (most) ISP DNS servers.

Ok thank you for that clarification 

I would open a cmd prompt and ping 4.2.2.1 from one of your computers. I would send them continuously. I would do the same to your araknis router. When your internet "drops out", check the pings. If they're still going it's not DNS. if it goes to your arakins but not to the 4.2.2.1 address it's probably something on the fabulous quality cable network. I would get comcast to check the counters on your modem and/or run a test to it. 

41 minutes ago, mindedc1 said:

I would open a cmd prompt and ping 4.2.2.1 from one of your computers. I would send them continuously. I would do the same to your araknis router. When your internet "drops out", check the pings. If they're still going it's not DNS. if it goes to your arakins but not to the 4.2.2.1 address it's probably something on the fabulous quality cable network. I would get comcast to check the counters on your modem and/or run a test to it. 

Agreed. Also would be helpful to check what the local IP is on the device after it looses connectivity. Sounds like possibly the DHCP server is borked (given the randomness of devices still having connectivity).

I would tend to rule out the WAN, as he bypassed the router and still hit some sort of device registration page (because of the fresh mac).

An additional thought - do you have ipv6 enabled on the router? Believe it is under advanced/ipv6 called dual-stack. That could be why some of your equipment works and others don't. When the dns is failing on your ipv4 network your ipv6 network might still be operational. That could explain the why some google equipment works and other networked devices don't. I would suggest turning dual-stack off until you get this sorted.

You also could setup a single laptop with static IP and static DNS. If that works while other network equipment isn't (next time things fail) then you know it is a DNS issue.

Comcast tech came out today

I'll preface this by saying that I guess I had different expectations on what he would do - I thought he would connect some kind of doohickey to my coaxials both outside and inside the house to test signal, connection, speed, etc.

But, I guess everything is just app based these days as he didn't do any of that

When he first came I explained everything to him and he started looking at his phone and told me that something was failing and that he needed to come inside and check the modem out

So he checked the modem (by checked I mean he just looked at it), checked how tight the connection was, checked where the coaxial from the modem was running and noticed a splitter and then checked those connections for tightness

Said he needed to get something out of his truck and then came back in and attached something to one of the coaxials (not where it comes into the modem but somewhere else behind the equipment rack)

Then wanted to look at the outside lines, so I showed him where the coaxial comes into the house and showed him where the coaxial comes off the pole

Anyway, he checked his phone/app again to see if there were any issues in the neighborhood and then told me that what was failing when he first showed up is now passing

I asked him what all that meant and he said that when he first came, the 'fm pole test' (or something like that) was failing but after he put a 'toner' on the coaxial behind the rack, it passed

So, he said that everything now looks good from Comcast's end and if the issue continues I need to check my network hardware next

Will continue to monitor - I'm really hoping that whatever he said and did was correct and that this will take care of the issue but don't have high expectations at this point, but I could be wrong....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.