C4 Forums | Control4

Proper way to integrate 24 zone and 8 zone audio

rf9000

All,

so I’m looking to combine a Triad 24x24 audio matrix and a 8x8 audio matrix. What is the most proper way to do this? There is one EA5 controller. The initial thought is to run two outputs off the EA5 to each matrix and sort of keep them separate. The 24x24 for interior zones and the 8x8 for exterior zones.  But if music is turned on in one of the interior zones, we would definitely want to be able to add any of the exterior zones to play the same thing at the same point in the song, just like if we were adding another interior zone. Do we need another controller? Please help

1 hour ago, rf9000 said:

All,

so I’m looking to combine a Triad 24x24 audio matrix and a 8x8 audio matrix. What is the most proper way to do this? There is one EA5 controller. The initial thought is to run two outputs off the EA5 to each matrix and sort of keep them separate. The 24x24 for interior zones and the 8x8 for exterior zones.  But if music is turned on in one of the interior zones, we would definitely want to be able to add any of the exterior zones to play the same thing at the same point in the song, just like if we were adding another interior zone. Do we need another controller? Please help

and your dealer will know how to get up to 5 distinct audio streams off the EA5.

As long as your source to play internally and externally is only ever going to be C4 music, the controllers are able to play the same stream from multiple outputs, so you could join an internal zone with an external zone. If you had something else playing the audio then this might be trickier.

MSGreenf is correct though that a larger matrix would be a better solution and allow for more flexibility.

17 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Zektor and Video Storms larger Matrix options were discussed in his original post in 2019 which I put into my original reply

Basically nothing has changed since 2019 and that thread with 40 responses. 

Yup, but then at same time everyone then recommended the sound quality of the Triads over the Video Storm

10 hours ago, cshepard said:

You needed someone who had a clue what they were doing to design a system for you before you bought the equipment.

But if that meant buying at $6000+ audio matrix to overcome this little desired objective, then no that was out of the question. Yes a 32 zone Zektor would have been best, but sometimes spending $4000 more to get that ability to add an outdoor zone, really isnt worth it, right? Would love to have a no expense considered system "designed" but that wasnt the case. Also, we didnt want to eliminate zones. We actually have 60 in ceiling speakers for the whole home audio system, so we are already combining speakers on zones to get down to the 24 zones and we didnt want to eliminate speakers if that is what you meant by design. This doesnt include the outdoor zones where there is another 25 landscape speakers and five subwoofers, but those are all 70V

19 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Yup, but then at same time everyone then recommended the sound quality of the Triads over the Video Storm

Listening to people review mostly analog audio matrix and sound quality on a forum is a joke.  Ever look at a speaker thread on a forum?  Sound is SUBJECTIVE.  There is no consensus or right or wrong answer about sound on a forum.  Is Sam Adam’s beer better than Bud Lite?  Are Yamaha speakers better than Klipsch?  Some things don’t have a definitive yes or no - there is something called group-think on a forum 

the answer is get a bigger matrix.  You don’t like that answer.  Second answer was also your dealer why they designed it that way - no response

10 ea1, 60 speakers....32 zones of audio.  Doing this in your own

good luck - I hate to sound rude but you are going to have a sour experience with c4.  I don’t think you get how the system is meant to be designed and you aren’t open to the answers given to you nor are you consulting with an on-site professional.  You are asking random people to throw darts at problems without the full picture 

oh and BTW - the 38x38 VS is cheaper than your two Triad matrix - you've mentioned a budget several times before.

I'd hazard a guess that less than 20 people worldwide have ever properly A/B tested Triad vs Video Storm vs Zektor.  And even if so, their results are again, subjective.  There is no fact around "better" when it comes to sound quality.   You are talking about speakers in your ceiling in a kitchen, living room, poolside, etc - not critical 2 channel studio listening - where your opinion (not a forums opinion) would matter.  Any matrix is fine - get the one suited for your job and budget - which in this case, screams Video Storm.  Most installs do not require audio delay syncing (offered by Zektor and Video Storm) and most installs aren't over 24x24 - that is why 95% of dealers spec Triad.  its quick, simple, easy and ships with all the other C4 hardware. 

8 hours ago, eggzlot said:

oh and BTW - the 38x38 VS is cheaper than your two Triad matrix - you've mentioned a budget several times before.

I'd hazard a guess that less than 20 people worldwide have ever properly A/B tested Triad vs Video Storm vs Zektor.  And even if so, their results are again, subjective.  There is no fact around "better" when it comes to sound quality.   You are talking about speakers in your ceiling in a kitchen, living room, poolside, etc - not critical 2 channel studio listening - where your opinion (not a forums opinion) would matter.  Any matrix is fine - get the one suited for your job and budget - which in this case, screams Video Storm.  Most installs do not require audio delay syncing (offered by Zektor and Video Storm) and most installs aren't over 24x24 - that is why 95% of dealers spec Triad.  its quick, simple, easy and ships with all the other C4 hardware. 

Problem is, I just found out the VS 38x38 is discontinued. Back to the Triads!

9 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Listening to people review mostly analog audio matrix and sound quality on a forum is a joke.  Ever look at a speaker thread on a forum?  Sound is SUBJECTIVE.  There is no consensus or right or wrong answer about sound on a forum.  Is Sam Adam’s beer better than Bud Lite?  Are Yamaha speakers better than Klipsch?  Some things don’t have a definitive yes or no - there is something called group-think on a forum 

the answer is get a bigger matrix.  You don’t like that answer.  Second answer was also your dealer why they designed it that way - no response

10 ea1, 60 speakers....32 zones of audio.  Doing this in your own

good luck - I hate to sound rude but you are going to have a sour experience with c4.  I don’t think you get how the system is meant to be designed and you aren’t open to the answers given to you nor are you consulting with an on-site professional.  You are asking random people to throw darts at problems without the full picture 

By the way, you seem very upset when you respond?  I'm a person that likes to figure things out and know why things work they way they do. 

10 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Problem is, I just found out the VS 38x38 is discontinued. Back to the Triads!

Discontinued or out of stock?  Only if you purchased it in 2019 when first recommended.  They also have ding/dent and refurb items so I’d contact them regardless. 

nothing wrong with seeking details.  But when people give you an answer you don’t want to hear you keep asking the same questions.  And you don’t seem to ask questions about why A or B but more about design this for me from scratch.  

it’s ok - I have given you several ideas on several threads.  Think I’m upset?  Uh ok. 

6 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Discontinued or out of stock?  Only if you purchased it in 2019 when first recommended.  They also have ding/dent and refurb items so I’d contact them regardless. 

nothing wrong with seeking details.  But when people give you an answer you don’t want to hear you keep asking the same questions.  And you don’t seem to ask questions about why A or B but more about design this for me from scratch.  

it’s ok - I have given you several ideas on several threads.  Think I’m upset?  Uh ok. 

They no longer make the CMX series and the refurb one is sold. The price was no concern on the VS vs. Triad, but everyone praises the Triads so much, its hard to go with the VS when I think only one forum member had recommended it. Plus, a few thought the Triads would work, so I decided to keep them and give it a shot. I think I have found a way to make them work after speaking with engineering, but was seeing if anyone had any other ideas since I lasted posted on this. What thing that will be ok, but would rather not do it, is combing four speakers in a zone to get the zone number down. They are all 8ohm and I know the Triad PAMP amps can handle it, but hope it doesnt lessen the quality or the output that much of the speakers.

1 hour ago, rf9000 said:

By the way, you seem very upset when you respond?  I'm a person that likes to figure things out and know why things work they way they do. 

There are lot of other forums out there when you ask a question over and over again, you get absolutely roasted as people don't think you are respecting someone's time who is answering you for free (40 replies in prior thread is a lot of folks giving help).   Just a bit of explanation.   Also,  when someone takes the time to basically answer detailed design questions with depth,  might be helpful to give them an occasional thank you.   Just some thoughts to think about...

On 3/24/2021 at 8:13 AM, rf9000 said:

All,

Ehm. Assuming you find 2 streams enough on the second amp, and 3 on the main, this would work fine, and yes they should be in sync.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.