C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Lighting - retrofit advice

Hi there, 

We are expanding the C4 platform to include lighting in the house, if people would recommend it. Because it is a retrofit, I am wondering how reliable the C4 dimmers and keypads are. I am an end consumer and not a dealer but have a dealer. I am seeking wider advice. 

My plan would be to replace approximately 75 dimmers in the house with C4 dimmers and keypads. The idea would be that one C4 keypad per set of wall switches and the others would be C4 dimmers that would rarely, if ever be used. They are there to work with the keypads. I am a stickler for high quality things that work and accept I will need to pay for that so no concerns there. I just want to ensure that I don't find myself in a position where I push a keypad button and maybe one of the dimmers associated with that keypad does not come on for whatever reason (interference, zigbee issues, etc). I need this to work all the time (or 99.9%). If there is a chance it will be a constant source of frustration, I will not do this. 

I was also considering using the "Essential" series for some of the dimmers as they are cheaper and all they are to be used for is "dummy" dimmers as the keypads are the primary action items being used. anyone have experience with using these with the main lighting line? For clarity, I am not going panelized lighting... that is not feasible to add in a 6,000 sq foot fully built home and i also dont want to be beholden to C4 for absolute basics light lighting. At least if the C4 platform fails, the dimmers still actually work the old fashioned way. 

Current Equipment:

EA5, EA3, EA1, Triad AMPS, audio and video Matrix, Lutron blinds, etc. 

Many thanks,

Charlie

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

When your dealer sets up the network for all the lights, you're only supposed to have approximately 70 devices on a single mesh. Since you have multiple controllers, you can run multiple meshes. I would try to split them as much as possible between the two meshes for best performance

Thank you for that! Very helpful! There seems to be some concern from a few dealers that mixing the essential line with the normal line might lead to issues. Based on what you chopedogg88 said, it appears this is not an issue. So, I guess I am at a loss on why anyone would use the more expensive lineup? 

if they work well, I would use the essential for all the dimmers and the more expensive keypads. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

Thank you for that! Very helpful! There seems to be some concern from a few dealers that mixing the essential line with the normal line might lead to issues. Based on what you chopedogg88 said, it appears this is not an issue. So, I guess I am at a loss on why anyone would use the more expensive lineup? 

if they work well, I would use the essential for all the dimmers and the more expensive keypads. 

there are zero technical limitations other than the forward phase only dimming in the essential line. so you will need to be selective in your lighting choices as not all lights will work correctly with forward phase dimming.

I don't have any of the essential line of switches.   I never expected to etch any of my keypads or switches, so I might have tried them.  

I therefore feel pretty comfortable saying the the real version.  I have, over time, engraved every single switch and keypad I have.  With a smart home, it's kind of critical that you (and your guests!) Know what buttons do.  Totally worth it and really, if you are spending that much money already, just do it right.....

Thank you everyone for your advice!! Really, much appreciated. Always good to see how others think about this as I am an end consumer in NYC and just like to do my research. I will likely order the keypads and the normal (non-essential) line for high value rooms where I am more concerned and then use some of the essential line for the less important rooms. There are a lot of 3-way switches I will try and use the auxiliary keypads for as well. 

Does anyone know where a current pricing sheet is? A friend of mine in Canada is also looking to do some of this and he says he is being quoted $345.00 CAD ($275 USD) for a dimmer/keypad combo, adaptive phase dimmer at $292 CAD ($233 USD) for a adaptive dimmer. These prices just seem higher than I might have thought.  

I have 3 generations of Control4 wireless in my house, and Caseta and TPLink (dealer, use home as a tester).
All compatible, no issues with any of them working with each other.

If you have switches next to keypads, you'll want to match style, it just looks better.

2 hours ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

Thank you everyone for your advice!! Really, much appreciated. Always good to see how others think about this as I am an end consumer in NYC and just like to do my research. I will likely order the keypads and the normal (non-essential) line for high value rooms where I am more concerned and then use some of the essential line for the less important rooms. There are a lot of 3-way switches I will try and use the auxiliary keypads for as well. 

Does anyone know where a current pricing sheet is? A friend of mine in Canada is also looking to do some of this and he says he is being quoted $345.00 CAD ($275 USD) for a dimmer/keypad combo, adaptive phase dimmer at $292 CAD ($233 USD) for a adaptive dimmer. These prices just seem higher than I might have thought.  

Your USD prices are high. No idea if those canadian $ prices are correct. Adaptive phase dimmer $187 MSRP  USD. Keypad Dimmer $260 MSRP USD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.