C4 Forums | Control4

DSC Integration With Control4

ajd123

For any users who use a DSC alarm system with their Control4 system, here are a couple of questions. 

FYI the system is setup so that Conrol4 operates the alarm system (rather than using DSC or Counterforces Native App).

1) Is there any way to bypass an open zone when arming the system.  If a bedroom window is open, the system does not let me arm via the Control4 app.  It says "Arm Failed. Can't bypass open zones".  Pictures attached.

2) DSC allows for different user codes and names.  This is a very helpful feature as it allows you to see who arms/disarms the system and a what time.  For example, you may want to see what time the kids got home, or how long the cleaning lady stayed at the house.  When looking at the History for the security system, it does not say the user name/number of the person who armed or disarmed the system.  Anyone know if there is a driver to fix this?

Thanks

IMG_1227.PNG

IMG_1228.PNG

6 hours ago, ajd123 said:

For any users who use a DSC alarm system with their Control4 system, here are a couple of questions. 

FYI the system is setup so that Conrol4 operates the alarm system (rather than using DSC or Counterforces Native App).

1) Is there any way to bypass an open zone when arming the system.  If a bedroom window is open, the system does not let me arm via the Control4 app.  It says "Arm Failed. Can't bypass open zones".  Pictures attached.

2) DSC allows for different user codes and names.  This is a very helpful feature as it allows you to see who arms/disarms the system and a what time.  For example, you may want to see what time the kids got home, or how long the cleaning lady stayed at the house.  When looking at the History for the security system, it does not say the user name/number of the person who armed or disarmed the system.  Anyone know if there is a driver to fix this?

Thanks

IMG_1227.PNG

IMG_1228.PNG

What dsc panel?  What C4 driver?

I have DSC but we use alarm panel and have C4 set to be able to send commands. We send a string command with alarm code to disarm and click stay or away when arming. I would think that you need to maybe have those windows partitioned off so they aren't checked when arming. That though leaves a little wiggle room in that you could think the house is secure when it's not. I honestly just have motions and glass break sensors to avoid this. 

2 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I have DSC but we use alarm panel and have C4 set to be able to send commands. We send a string command with alarm code to disarm and click stay or away when arming. I would think that you need to maybe have those windows partitioned off so they aren't checked when arming. That though leaves a little wiggle room in that you could think the house is secure when it's not. I honestly just have motions and glass break sensors to avoid this. 

We decided to run the system through the C4 application so we could utilize motion detectors and door/window contacts to trigger events.  We also utilize arm status (away, stay etc) to trigger other events like lighting scenes.

My dealer told me the system could only be setup one way or another i.e. use the alarm.com app or use the control4 app, but not able to use both.  Is this true?

1 minute ago, ejn1 said:

@ajd123What do you mean by running through the C4 application?  

From my phone (local or remotely) Control4 app is the only way I can arm/disarm the system, see history, check what zones are open etc.  

when physically at the house I can use the DSC NEO Powerseries LCD Touchscreens.

I asked my dealer if I could operate the alarm through both the Control4 App and the Alarm.com app, but they said it had to be one or the other.  They also said if I went with the Alarm.Com route, I wouldn’t be able to utilize the DSC security system for a lot of the automation routines I wanted e.g. motions to trigger lighting scenes, alarm status to trigger lighting scenes etc.

2 hours ago, ajd123 said:

From my phone (local or remotely) Control4 app is the only way I can arm/disarm the system, see history, check what zones are open etc.  

when physically at the house I can use the DSC NEO Powerseries LCD Touchscreens.

I asked my dealer if I could operate the alarm through both the Control4 App and the Alarm.com app, but they said it had to be one or the other.  They also said if I went with the Alarm.Com route, I wouldn’t be able to utilize the DSC security system for a lot of the automation routines I wanted e.g. motions to trigger lighting scenes, alarm status to trigger lighting scenes etc.

Your dealer is correct.

In terms of your original questions,  there are various DSC drivers out there and different DSC panel types.  I have an older DSC panel and not the Neo.  Both your requirements are possible on the paid for drivers for my Powerseries.  However, I am not sure what is possible with the free driver.  Nor am I sure what is possible with the Neo.

6 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

In terms of your original questions,  there are various DSC drivers out there and different DSC panel types.  I have an older DSC panel and not the Neo.  Both your requirements are possible on the paid for drivers for my Powerseries.  However, I am not sure what is possible with the free driver.  Nor am I sure what is possible with the Neo.

I have no problem paying for the necessary drivers.  Do you know which ones are applicable?

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Thanks MSGREENF.  Do you know if this driver will specifically address the following: 

1. Provide functionality to bypass zones when arming the system via control4 app.
  2. Provide functionality to see user name of person arming/disarming the system in the history log via control4 app.

6 minutes ago, pbir said:

100% sure our IT-100 driver will not work with Neo.  Only the stock Control4 driver will.

Any chance you will develop a driver compatible with the Neo panel?

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the following working:

1. Functionality to bypass zones when arming the system via control4 app.
  2. Functionality to see user name of person arming/disarming the system in the history log via control4 app.

Just now, ajd123 said:

2. Functionality to see user name of person arming/disarming the system in the history log via control4 app.

Can the native C4 driver do keyboard commands?  If so you can probably manage 1.  I know for the the older DSC systems you can do something like

send command *

delay 250ms

send command 1

delay 250 ms

send command zone number 

to bypass a given zone,

as mentioned above - you can bypass a zone on a c4 touchscreen the same way you would bypass the zone on a NEO keypad - https://www.dsc.com/dsc-product-families/neo/how-to/63 - the c4 keypad is just a virtual NEO Keypad for the most part.  

Cannot help with #2 though if you have unique codes per person it may be possible or could always export into Excel or something and review when needed.  I can see events but there are so many events I'd have to filter, etc so I just don't find that feature useful.  You can also set up a text or push message based on the user disarming so you can get a message sent to your phone/email address if you want.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

as mentioned above - you can bypass a zone on a c4 touchscreen the same way you would bypass the zone on a NEO keypad - https://www.dsc.com/dsc-product-families/neo/how-to/63 - the c4 keypad is just a virtual NEO Keypad for the most part.  

Cannot help with #2 though if you have unique codes per person it may be possible or could always export into Excel or something and review when needed.  I can see events but there are so many events I'd have to filter, etc so I just don't find that feature useful.  You can also set up a text or push message based on the user disarming so you can get a message sent to your phone/email address if you want.

Unfortunately I am not offered a "virtual keyboard" in the Control4 app with my Neo system.  Furthermore, to bypass a zone manually by zone number would be incredibly tedious.

I think Control4 needs to step up their game and update their native driver for Neo since DSC does not want anyone creating a 3rd party driver to address these issues.  

It is counter intuitive that a driver exists for older model boards, but not for the new Neo boards.  I would postulate that many Control4 users who use DSC opt for the Neo line so they can have a nice looking LCD touchscreen rather than the 30 year old alpha numeric keypad.

IMG_1280.PNG

Unfortunately I am not offered a "virtual keyboard" in the Control4 app with my Neo system.  Furthermore, to bypass a zone manually by zone number would be incredibly tedious.

I think Control4 needs to step up their game and update their native driver for Neo since DSC does not want anyone creating a 3rd party driver to address these issues.  

It is counter intuitive that a driver exists for older model boards, but not for the new Neo boards.  I would postulate that many Control4 users who use DSC opt for the Neo line so they can have a nice looking LCD touchscreen rather than the 30 year old alpha numeric keypad.

IMG_1280.PNG

hmm cannot help - next to the clock icon I have another icon that pops up a keypad.  I'd speak to someone who has more experience with the NEO Series - I have the older Power services, and yes the keypads arent nice but most of them are hidden so its really not an eye sight to me.

33 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

hmm cannot help - next to the clock icon I have another icon that pops up a keypad.  I'd speak to someone who has more experience with the NEO Series - I have the older Power services, and yes the keypads arent nice but most of them are hidden so its really not an eye sight to me.

Same for me.  I only have one DSC keypad and it is hidden in a cupboard on the garage.  I think I have used it once I’m 9 years when my link to C4 died…

3 hours ago, ajd123 said:

IMG_1280.PNG

My keypad appears on this screen and I can bypass the zone but. Here is a screenshot. In the upper right hand corner you’ll see the keypad symbol.  I have a Honeywell vista system.  I'm not sure why the keypad doesn't show for you on the DSC system. 

875FED16-6754-4294-B57D-A2CD0F9FF3B4.png

18 minutes ago, DanITman said:

My keypad appears on this screen and I can bypass the zone but. Here is a screenshot. In the upper right hand corner you’ll see the keypad symbol.  I have a Honeywell vista system.  I'm not sure why the keypad doesn't show for you on the DSC system. 

875FED16-6754-4294-B57D-A2CD0F9FF3B4.png

Are you using a DSC NEO Powerseries bored or something else?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.