C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Bridge Driver

I have been (and will be again) a real fan of the native Apple Bridge / Apple TV drivers… but I must say that the latest driver update seems to be a bit of a dog’s breakfast…

Updating the drivers yesterday messed up both my systems (2 Apple TVs at one residence and 4 at the other) and while my dealer and I were able to get everything working after a good couple of hours, this involved some hacks and there are still some obvious bugs…

Hope they release an update soon!

Edited by South Africa C4 user

On 2/2/2023 at 10:35 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I have been (and will be again) a real fan of the native Apple Bridge / Apple TV drivers… but I must say that the latest driver update seems to be a bit of a dog’s breakfast…

Updating the drivers yesterday messed up both my systems (2 Apple TVs at one residence and 4 at the other) and while my dealer and I were able to get everything working after a good couple of hours, this involved some hacks and there are still some obvious bugs…

Hope they release an update soon!

What happened? mine updated just fine!

Just a word of caution, Apple missed up with Home app and HK in the last 16.2 update, total fuck up, it’s became very slow, everything defaults to “default room” takes ages to move or change an icon and oh u can’t share home data with anyone!!

It’s just plain stupid, we can’t keep up with Apple changing frameworks every once a while, this is pure stupidity and I hope it bites them back hard!

4 minutes ago, Amr said:

Just a word of caution, Apple missed up with Home app and HK in the last 16.2 update, total fuck up, it’s became very slow, everything defaults to “default room” takes ages to move or change an icon and oh u can’t share home data with anyone!!

It’s just plain stupid, we can’t keep up with Apple changing frameworks every once a while, this is pure stupidity and I hope it bites them back hard!

Some people had to re add the bridge for control4 after the driver update

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Who cant keep up, Control4?  This is a non issue on other systems even when Apple has to “fix” something. 

6 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

Who cant keep up, Control4?  This is a non issue on other systems even when Apple has to “fix” something. 

even apple can't? they had to rollback their HK changes and delay them because they didn't work right...

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

even apple can't? they had to rollback their HK changes and delay them because they didn't work right...

Im not sure your point. I have not had to do any maintenance/updates or service on other automation systems using homekit IP Apple TV control through various OS updates… so yes “keeping up” only seems to be related to some. The point is to understand where the integration failure happened. Not to be brand emotional…

8 hours ago, Amr said:

In my case, the drop-down list of available Apple TVs was perfectly populated in some of the Apple TV drivers and only partially populated in others.  No apparent rhyme or reason for this. If we added an extra dummy Apple TV driver or two then the partially populated drop-down list moved from a real Apple TV driver to the dummy one.  So I now have an extra one or Two Apple TV drivers in my project.  If my dealer deletes them then the drop down list on some of the other Apple TVs get corrupted (lose entries) again.

The second problem we had was that of my 6 Apple TV 4Ks (across 2 houses), 2 or 3 simply would not show Remote Connected.  Again adding dummy Apple TV drivers fixed the issue on the real driver… 

Very weird is all I can say.  My dealer was confident that if we deleted the Bridge and the Apple TV drivers and rebuilt everything it would work… we just didn’t have time to red all the programming (not that there is that much) and we do have a working work around…

13 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

In my case, the drop-down list of available Apple TVs was perfectly populated in some of the Apple TV drivers and only partially populated in others.  No apparent rhyme or reason for this. If we added an extra dummy Apple TV driver or two then the partially populated drop-down list moved from a real Apple TV driver to the dummy one.  So I now have an extra one or Two Apple TV drivers in my project.  If my dealer deletes them then the drop down list on some of the other Apple TVs get corrupted (lose entries) again.

The second problem we had was that of my 6 Apple TV 4Ks (across 2 houses), 2 or 3 simply would not show Remote Connected.  Again adding dummy Apple TV drivers fixed the issue on the real driver… 

Very weird is all I can say.  My dealer was confident that if we deleted the Bridge and the Apple TV drivers and rebuilt everything it would work… we just didn’t have time to red all the programming (not that there is that much) and we do have a working work around…

Actually just reset the bridge driver, add Apple TV control from the app then go to each individual ATV and select the Room on HomeKit and then go back to Composer and select the corresponding Room for each ATV driver! What a pain and a long process hopefully they are making it easier as per my understanding!

2 minutes ago, Amr said:

Actually just reset the bridge driver, add Apple TV control from the app then go to each individual ATV and select the Room on HomeKit and then go back to Composer and select the corresponding Room for each ATV driver! What a pain and a long process hopefully they are making it easier as per my understanding!

We tried this with no luck but will try again - maybe we got the order wrong.  Having never experienced any problems (unlike others), I was surprised that this update broke my solid setup!

1 hour ago, CTMatthew said:

It's been suggested that I delete my home from HomeKit and rebuild it because I can't add my Control4 system as a hub. I'll be trying that this evening. This way of doing things just seems so janky. 

And when u do that if you have Sonos u will never be able to add it back! It’s unbelievable Apple Crap in the 21st century! The amount of anger and frustration from doing this is unprecedented, it took my days to rebuild my Home app after this fuc&&n bug that made all devices to a default room!

Oh and the Home app after reset is pretty slow!!

38 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

This way of doing things just seems so janky. 

Yes, it does. Once upon a time, say 5 ish years ago, that was an infrequent requirement. If you don't have a lot on the Home app, then maybe a reset isn't a big deal. Before resetting, make sure all iOS/iPadOS/tvOS and HomePod devices are up to date on 16.3. And restart all the devices working/potentially working as a home hub.

The C4 driver update to version 50 appeared to break Apple TV control functionality in my system. Restarting the home hub devices appears to have gotten the integration working again.

3 hours ago, Amr said:

And when u do that if you have Sonos u will never be able to add it back! It’s unbelievable Apple Crap in the 21st century! The amount of anger and frustration from doing this is unprecedented, it took my days to rebuild my Home app after this fuc&&n bug that made all devices to a default room!

Oh and the Home app after reset is pretty slow!!

Hey @Amr! As a fellow heavy Homekit user with 400+ devices between 2 houses, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at Controller and Home+ 6. They both include advanced automation controls (they expose automations and sensor parameters unavailable in the Apple's Home app) as well as a life-saving Backup and Restore feature.

Everytime I add new iOS devices, perform firmware or iOS upgrades, or add Homekit-compatible devices I make sure to backup my config. It's literally saved me days of work and I've never been unable to restore from a backup. Check it out and best of luck restoring your system!

https://controllerforhomekit.com/features/backup-restore/

https://hochgatterer.me/home+/docs/features/backup/

4 hours ago, jimbones said:

Hey @Amr! As a fellow heavy Homekit user with 400+ devices between 2 houses, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at Controller and Home+ 6. They both include advanced automation controls (they expose automations and sensor parameters unavailable in the Apple's Home app) as well as a life-saving Backup and Restore feature.

Everytime I add new iOS devices, perform firmware or iOS upgrades, or add Homekit-compatible devices I make sure to backup my config. It's literally saved me days of work and I've never been unable to restore from a backup. Check it out and best of luck restoring your system!

https://controllerforhomekit.com/features/backup-restore/

https://hochgatterer.me/home+/docs/features/backup/

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look and probably will purchase Home +6 it has some cool features!

I also had some glitches with new driver.   I did the "factory reset" from Apple Bridge driver, then re-enable Apple TV control from C4 app, then add the bridge and remote for each Apple TV.   You have to place each in a Homekit room, but I don't think it matters where, so I just clicked through.  All seems good again.  Didn't re-do anything in Composer (other than doing the Factory Reset driver action)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.