C4 Forums | Control4

Gate sensor

I want to have some kind of notification when my gate opens and closes. I imagine that could be accomplished using some kind of sensor like alarms use that I put either on the gate and ground itself or something inside the open/close opener mechanism.

What are my easiest options that aren't an arm and a leg? I don't need any kind of special functionality and I'm not "betting my life on it".

15 hours ago, RAV said:

Got any wiring or network at the gate available?

could be as simple a garage door type wide gap sensor.

Yep. I have cat cable going out there to run the keypad, and I actually just put a switch on it to run cameras there as well. So I can connect something either with wires or use a leftover AP point if I needed wireless.

Is there a particular one you can recommend?

Basic setup will be a pair of wires from the gate to a contact on the Control4 system, either at a processor or through a ZIO, or other device.
Garage door sensor contacts have a wider gap between sensor and magnet than typical door contacts.

Some gate openers may have an open/close contact built into their controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Contacts-Shutter-Adjustable-Bracket/dp/B07ZBT28L8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KDC6B0OZOI8U&keywords=garage+door+security+contacts&qid=1681237073&sprefix=garage+door+security+contacts%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-2

You could also use your Alarm System Contacts if you have it integrated to C4 through Panel Comm module.

In my case am using the Interlogix NX-454 Wireless Micro Door/Window Sensor integrated to C4 with CardAccess Wireless Sensor Bridge v2, I also spray paint them to any color I want and they are used extensively around my house, Battery lasts more than a year+ with extensive use and 2+ yrs with light usage!

55 minutes ago, timelinex said:

Those have native drivers or aftermarket?

Z2IO is a native C4 product with a native driver:  https://www.control4.com/docs/product/z2io/data-sheet/english/latest//z2io-data-sheet-rev-c.pdf

The C4 IO extender or controller options would only be if you already have one close by; otherwise, they are overkill.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:20 PM, DLite said:

Z2IO is a native C4 product with a native driver:  https://www.control4.com/docs/product/z2io/data-sheet/english/latest//z2io-data-sheet-rev-c.pdf

The C4 IO extender or controller options would only be if you already have one close by; otherwise, they are overkill.

ok, I see it is Zigbee. I have a regular POE Switch out there by the gate that I can tap into for internet, but the control4 controller with zigbee is far. Plus I'm generally not happy with most C4 branded solutions (expensive and don't work any better, if not worse!...like my doorstation)

Any aftermarket solutions that have drivers for c4?

On 4/15/2023 at 7:11 PM, timelinex said:

ok, I see it is Zigbee. I have a regular POE Switch out there by the gate that I can tap into for internet, but the control4 controller with zigbee is far. Plus I'm generally not happy with most C4 branded solutions (expensive and don't work any better, if not worse!...like my doorstation)

Any aftermarket solutions that have drivers for c4?

Can u share some of your issues and dissatisfaction with C4 solutions, I found this the opposite of what I experienced since I deployed c4 in 2016.

If u need a WiFi based solution seek Shelly’s Door & Window Sensor. 2 c4 Drivers to choose from Chowmain and Domaudeo. I use both in 2 different houses, the later is used in my main house.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, Amr said:

Can u share some of your issues and dissatisfaction with C4 solutions, I found this the opposite of what I experienced since I deployed c4 in 2016.

I've used a few of their products and have many complaints. The easiest one is the C4 doorstation. Heads and shoulders more expensive then all the other options on the market (at least back when I was shopping!). Looks nice and has built-in native functionality. That's where the benefits end. Install was a pain to get it going right (with 2 separate config panels, since they don't actually make their own products and are just repackaging someone else product with their brand on it so they can demand a high price tag). For the first year or two of having it they were CONSTANTLY having connection and/or notification issues in relation to it. Yea, it worked ok for some people but if you look at the average reviews of the app, it tells the actually story of the typical persons experience. Everything from video not working, to not receiving notifications when someone is calling. It took them YEARS to iron out most of it. Which they finally did. But since then there have been issues on and off as something breaks and they take weeks or longer to fix (like you can't start a call with video when remotely connecting). Lastly, the video quality is complete garbage. In the age where 4k cameras can be bought for like $20, it uses the same resolution as my 4 year old sons waterproof toy camera that I bought off Amazon for $15.

This is in contrast to nearly zero issues with most other consumer products that I buy on the market. When they have issues, it's usually resolved quickly with updates. 

5 minutes ago, timelinex said:

but if you look at the average reviews of the app, it tells the actually story of the typical persons experience

🤣 Yes because it's the satisfied people that post reviews the most, not to mention half of them don't even have a Control4 system but are expecting it to work with their Skybell....and complain when it doesn't.

That's not to comment on your experience mind you: but that line just jumped out as hilarious.

Online website and app store 'ratings and reviews' are not an indication of what is 'typical' at all.

7 minutes ago, timelinex said:

I've used a few of their products and have many complaints. The easiest one is the C4 doorstation. Heads and shoulders more expensive then all the other options on the market (at least back when I was shopping!). Looks nice and has built-in native functionality. That's where the benefits end. Install was a pain to get it going right (with 2 separate config panels, since they don't actually make their own products and are just repackaging someone else product with their brand on it so they can demand a high price tag). For the first year or two of having it they were CONSTANTLY having connection and/or notification issues in relation to it. Yea, it worked ok for some people but if you look at the average reviews of the app, it tells the actually story of the typical persons experience. Everything from video not working, to not receiving notifications when someone is calling. It took them YEARS to iron out most of it. Which they finally did. But since then there have been issues on and off as something breaks and they take weeks or longer to fix (like you can't start a call with video when remotely connecting). Lastly, the video quality is complete garbage. In the age where 4k cameras can be bought for like $20, it uses the same resolution as my 4 year old sons waterproof toy camera that I bought off Amazon for $15.

I think many of your comments on the Door Station are fair.  I’ve had plenty issues with mine but it seems relatively stable (for me) these days,

However, I struggle to understand how any fair commentary on any other C4 hardware can be all that negative.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

🤣 Yes because it's the satisfied people that post reviews the most, not to mention half of them don't even have a Control4 system but are expecting it to work with their Skybell....and complain when it doesn't.

That's not to comment on your experience mind you: but that line just jumped out as hilarious.

Online website and app store 'ratings and reviews' are not an indication of what is 'typical' at all.

On the one hand I agree with your point of view. I own businesses so I completely empathize with it. On the other hand, this example in particular crumbles completely when we are talking about averages over a decent sample size. Plenty of smart home apps are 4+ stars on average. Do the same forces you discuss not apply to them? You wouldn't accept that argument. 

Making a good app for new technology is a complicated problem. Especially considering how many different devices there are that could be using it. Some companies do it better than others. You can compare the aggregate reviews of intercom anywhere (the old app before they integrated) to other doorstation apps. Thats it. As everyone has mentioned, they did finally improve it and their reviews started getting better slowly.

4 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I think many of your comments on the Door Station are fair.  I’ve had plenty issues with mine but it seems relatively stable (for me) these days,

However, I struggle to understand how any fair commentary on any other C4 hardware can be all that negative.

Generally, when I pay a massive premium to buy branded things it is because I am paying for a shortcut. The shortcut is "I trust that even if this may not be the absolute best item, I know that this brand wouldn't put it's name on a bad item, and it will be more than good enough". How often do you let others cheat on you till your trust in them is broken? The trust was broken for me. Without that trust, why am I paying more? This is basic Brand theory.

This isn't just about the doorstation BTW. That's just the easiest example.

They have slowly started to get better as competition has probably been applying pressure.....I don't want to make this a control4 hate thread.....It works OK enough that it's not worth ripping out to replace with a different system.

The point of mentioning that I prefer 3rd party is: why would I pay 5x for the same thing simply for their name (when I can no longer trust having their name will prevent problems).

I understand your frustration with the DS, I had zero issues with it in OS2 Days, for the DS2 mini; as I have enough outdoor lighting; I’m also happy with it in OS3 era.

It’s not how good it looks, it’s how long it will withstand the harsh environment it’s installed @, in my country nothing of the fancy stuff lives like the DS, it’s 5+ yrs and only removed to upgrade to OS3! So sturdy and yes endurance matters to me the most! You can pick on C4 pitfalls but it’s just my experience and I stay away of troubled gears anyways!

57 minutes ago, timelinex said:

On the other hand, this example in particular crumbles completely when we are talking about averages over a decent sample size. Plenty of smart home apps are 4+ stars on average.

Not on an open review platform, especially for a not 'open' app like the Control4 app. The only way to get a good average rating is to have verified users as the only reviewer. so your argument on this 'crumbles' again because that is not the case here. Other apps for systems similar to Control4 have their star rating in a similar range As C4 (between 3 and 4) - or in some cases they have reviews locked out/cleared altogether (Crestron).

Again, this is not about your issues with the Doorstation - but the 'app rating' is simply a silly reference point to use for peoples experience with the overall product brand, let alone for a singular product of that brand: that's apart from that it's not even a good reference point in this case for the app itself.

3 hours ago, timelinex said:

On the one hand I agree with your point of view. I own businesses so I completely empathize with it. On the other hand, this example in particular crumbles completely when we are talking about averages over a decent sample size. Plenty of smart home apps are 4+ stars on average. Do the same forces you discuss not apply to them? You wouldn't accept that argument. 

Making a good app for new technology is a complicated problem. Especially considering how many different devices there are that could be using it. Some companies do it better than others. You can compare the aggregate reviews of intercom anywhere (the old app before they integrated) to other doorstation apps. Thats it. As everyone has mentioned, they did finally improve it and their reviews started getting better slowly.

Generally, when I pay a massive premium to buy branded things it is because I am paying for a shortcut. The shortcut is "I trust that even if this may not be the absolute best item, I know that this brand wouldn't put it's name on a bad item, and it will be more than good enough". How often do you let others cheat on you till your trust in them is broken? The trust was broken for me. Without that trust, why am I paying more? This is basic Brand theory.

This isn't just about the doorstation BTW. That's just the easiest example.

They have slowly started to get better as competition has probably been applying pressure.....I don't want to make this a control4 hate thread.....It works OK enough that it's not worth ripping out to replace with a different system.

The point of mentioning that I prefer 3rd party is: why would I pay 5x for the same thing simply for their name (when I can no longer trust having their name will prevent problems).

you can buy 3rd party harder and sometimes a driver and things will work.  that said you run the risk of that 3rd party shutting down/changing access and there goes your set up.

This sensor has native C4 Drivers

https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/contact-sensor/

if you are worried about the elements, they can fit into this box which you can mount/tape onto your gate

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q14K8YT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

no wires, non c4 branded hardware, native/free C4 drivers, no alarm system needed

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

you can buy 3rd party harder and sometimes a driver and things will work.  that said you run the risk of that 3rd party shutting down/changing access and there goes your set up.

This sensor has native C4 Drivers

https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/contact-sensor/

if you are worried about the elements, they can fit into this box which you can mount/tape onto your gate

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q14K8YT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

no wires, non c4 branded hardware, native/free C4 drivers, no alarm system needed

Appreciate the suggestion.

Looks like it's Zigbee and not wifi/ethernet. Any brands/items I can buy on amazon and have at my doorstep in 2 days? (programming into c4 not an issue as long as there is driver).

On 4/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, timelinex said:

Appreciate the suggestion.

Looks like it's Zigbee and not wifi/ethernet. Any brands/items I can buy on amazon and have at my doorstep in 2 days? (programming into c4 not an issue as long as there is driver).

well its C4 Zigbee but its not C4 hardware.  

maybe look at Shelly if those are Wifi I dunno

The cheapest reliable way would be a Shelly 1 Pro with a LAN connection, DC powered, Contact sensor wired to the switch input, setup and programmed through it's interface to send a URL command to the Control4 processor based on the switch input status.

(The Control4 shelly drivers have a delay when used to monitor a switch input, as the state has to be poled, it's not pushed from Shelly, unless that's changed recently)

On 4/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, Amr said:

If u need a WiFi based solution seek Shelly’s Door & Window Sensor. 2 c4 Drivers to choose from Chowmain and Domaudeo. I use both in 2 different houses, the later is used in my main house.

I didn't consider your Shelly solution at first because it looks like it's a eurpeon product. However, it doesn't look like I would have too much of an issue getting them sent to the USA, so it looks like it may be the perfect solution!

Do you have an opinion on which driver solution is better? I would guess you like Domaudeo better since you use it at your house?

Do you know if I need a relay like the Shelly 1 Pro for the drivers or do they interact directly with the Door/Window sensor just fine without the middle piece?

Thanks

2 hours ago, timelinex said:

I didn't consider your Shelly solution at first because it looks like it's a eurpeon product. However, it doesn't look like I would have too much of an issue getting them sent to the USA, so it looks like it may be the perfect solution!

Do you have an opinion on which driver solution is better? I would guess you like Domaudeo better since you use it at your house?

Do you know if I need a relay like the Shelly 1 Pro for the drivers or do they interact directly with the Door/Window sensor just fine without the middle piece?

Thanks

Shelly operates out of US as well with a huge US stock, so u might find them with 2-3 days delivery.

I prefer Domaudeo driver as it’s local, I love the driver property and everything about it, no cloud option in the first place, I know Chowmain have this option as well, but I was really happy with both, can’t say what attracted me but you may try both and decide, drivers comes with 90 days trial so your dealer should implement both and let you play with ComposerHE and you decide, both are same price!

There are 2 ways of achieving what you want, u either have a relay mounted on the door and it will give u when Opened/Closed or if you integrate a relay into your door opener controller u can do this as well, but u will need 12 vdc power source + NC/NO relay input at your controller, depends on your equipment and setup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.