C4 Forums | Control4

Josh.AI Audio Response Delay

We just had our Josh.AI system activated yesterday - core, micro, and 3 nanos for now. We have noticed that the Josh voice response is "clipped" at the beginning or not heard at all if the response is short. For example: you first ask Josh: "What time is it?" and you'll hear "......7:20 in the morning" rather than "The time is 7:20 in the morning" - if you ask it a second time you hear the whole thing: "The time is 7:20 in the morning." This happens only on the first response made in a room and not again for a while after the last response. So I suspect this has something to do with timing between the Josh system telling the Audio Matrix (Triad AMS-24) to route the audio and telling the amps (all C4-16AMP3B) to turn that room's audio on - before the audio response is played by the Josh core. I've tried playing with the Voice Cast Response Delay setting (no delay to 150ms) and that didn't seem to fix the issue.  Does anyone know if there's a C4 setting (or a Josh setting) that will fix this?

I don't have Josh.AI but I do use Alexa for voice control. I have a Triad AMS16 and the exact same issue. Before upgrading my previous (now dead) matrix, a C4-16S2-E-B, I had no issues. My amps, also Triad, are set to always on so I am most certain it's a matrix issue. I posted a lot about this months ago but no one seemed to have this issue other than me. It's good to know I am not the only one but I doubt a fix is coming for two people.

In the end, this is neither a C4 or a Josh.ai 'setting' per se, it's likely just the speed at which things switch.

One thing to try is to add programming on room off to set the audio matrix output for that room to whatever input is used for josh/alexa: this would at least ensure that in a room off situation, there should be no delay caused by the audio matrix or system response.

Same issue on my end. I actually believe it's more on the Sonos side. Sonos doesn't "instantly" wake and does take a period of time to adjust input (same applies to tv and other input channels). When Sonos is already playing audio playback from Josh.ai VoiceCast, it's perfect. 

1 hour ago, thecodingart said:

Same issue on my end. I actually believe it's more on the Sonos side. Sonos doesn't "instantly" wake and does take a period of time to adjust input (same applies to tv and other input channels). When Sonos is already playing audio playback from Josh.ai VoiceCast, it's perfect. 

That is a bit of a bummer.  When we route C4 announcements through Sonos, there is no delay, regardless of whether the Sonos is playing music or doing nothing.  

How does Josh.ai connect to Sonos in your case?   I'm just trying to puzzle out why announcements on Sonos would be instantly heard, but josh would suffer from a lag. (In case it matters, we don't have an audio matrix, but just have a Sonos unit in each room.)

On 4/22/2023 at 2:56 PM, dw886 said:

There should be a setting in the Josh portal to add a "Response delay" to the microphone.  That will probably fix it for the first time use in that room, but it may create a little lag once the system is up and running after a fresh audio sense.

image.png.7983bcafd2f55fbfe0c94e57afbdb490.png

Thank you - that does make sense as being the solution. Our integrator identified this when they were working on it on Friday and they increased the delay to about 1500ms which seemed to improve things. I had seen this before but hadn't been aggressive enough in adjusting the setting. That being said, I've been testing this all weekend and it doesn't fully solve the problem - even pushing the delay to the max of 5000ms sometimes the beginning is still cut off........so still testing unfortunately

On 4/17/2023 at 4:35 PM, Matt Lowe said:

there is a known issue with some of the c4 matrices. Contact your josh support or dealer to get updated versions.

This is the way. The issue is that even though the matrix is programmed. By default they still for some reason are audio sensing. It is a setting in the driver and is not available in the Composer Gui to change pro or home. With the proper driver, no audio response delay is needed. 

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

This is the way. The issue is even though the matrix is programed. By default they still for some reason are audio sensing. It is a setting in the driver and is not avaliable in the Composer Gui to change pro or home. With the proper driver no audio response delay is needed. 

Thank you Matt - I’ll look into that angle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.