C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door Integration

2 hours ago, RAV said:

No.
If you want status you have to add some form of a contact sensor on each door and connect that to the Control4 system as well.
The wall button, or the wireless 3 button remote, will each only get you the ability to open / close.

I have alarm contacts on my garage door (so this takes care of monitoring open/closed status). 

I have lots of extra (unused) CAT6 cable runs from my garage to my AV rack. 

I would imagine it would be fairly simply to program a custom open and close button for each garage door so pressing open would only trigger if the door contact confirmed it was in the closed position and vice versa?

1) Would each garage door (button on the remote) require a single wire or pair?

2) Does anyone have a picture of how this is wired to the EA5's relays (or a wiring diagram)?

3) I have empty IR ports on the EA5.  Would I be able to use those ports for the triggers?

7 hours ago, ajd123 said:

I have alarm contacts on my garage door (so this takes care of monitoring open/closed status). 

I have lots of extra (unused) CAT6 cable runs from my garage to my AV rack. 

I would imagine it would be fairly simply to program a custom open and close button for each garage door so pressing open would only trigger if the door contact confirmed it was in the closed position and vice versa?

1) Would each garage door (button on the remote) require a single wire or pair?

2) Does anyone have a picture of how this is wired to the EA5's relays (or a wiring diagram)?

3) I have empty IR ports on the EA5.  Would I be able to use those ports for the triggers?

Is your alarm system not linked to C4.  If it is linked then you can access the contacts already (without linking them separately to C4.  This is the better way to do this.

Once you have the contact in Control4, you don’t need a custom open / close.  All you need is your dealer to bind the contacts to your garage door driver and Control4 does the rest (I.e. pressing open will only open if the contacts show it to be closed and vice versa). 

5 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Is your alarm system not linked to C4.  If it is linked then you can access the contacts already (without linking them separately to C4.  This is the better way to do this.

Once you have the contact in Control4, you don’t need a custom open / close.  All you need is your dealer to bind the contacts to your garage door driver and Control4 does the rest (I.e. pressing open will only open if the contacts show it to be closed and vice versa). 

Correct, my security system is already linked to C4.  I already have lots of programming based on contact state or motion sensor triggers for various automation around the house.

I still need to connect the EA5 to the garage Liftmaster 893MAX door remote to trigger the button presses. 

The button press on the garage door remote triggers the operator, but the remote is not aware of the doors current state (open or closed), it just forces it to do the opposite of whatever position the door is in.

I have a Liftmaster garage door, so there is no driver.  

Hoping someone can provide a simple wiring sketch for a remote to EA5.

I found this post showing connections using a Z210.  I want to know if even need this or can I go directly into the EA5 from the Liftmaster 893MAX remote control and if anyone has a wiring diagram?

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

Does anyone have instructions or diagram of what two wires to solder and where to solder them for each button on the 893max remote?

IMG_3176.JPG

Use a multi meter, set to continuity, put on two out of the four legs of the button, press button, when meter reads continuity when pressed and open when not, then you have your pair of legs.

Solder leads to those two legs, and wire to a relay closure pair on your controller.

(this remote will show as two pair of legs each function as desired, they double soldered for strength)

We typically save the little RJ45->jack flat flexy adapter cables that come with some access points, and solder those to the buttons and trim the case for a neat finish.

21 minutes ago, EdC4Tx said:

What kind of garage door opener do you have ? I’m assuming it’s myQ if it is, there is an easier way to integrate your garage door into the system without having to run wires or solder anything. 

Please, share with the class.

25 minutes ago, RAV said:

More things that can go wrong. Power supply, stickers, aiming, WiFi.... and you still need MyQ 2.0 interfaces per door.
Not knocking their product by any means, but hardwired will always be more reliable whenever possible.
And a quarter the cost.

I agree on hardwire being optimal, was just sharing another option. 

1 hour ago, EdC4Tx said:

What kind of garage door opener do you have ? I’m assuming it’s myQ if it is, there is an easier way to integrate your garage door into the system without having to run wires or solder anything. 

If the wire is already there (an extra CAT6 run somewhere close to the operators) no need to buy extra hardware or door openers with leads.

For a retrofit application I think the Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter is a good option (https://www.garadget.com/product/security-2-0-dry-contact-adapter/).  Unfortunately this option does not work with the Liftmaster Elite 8500 series (which I have).  

On 5/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, zaphod said:

Stay away from MyQ.  Chamberlain are hostile towards third party integration.  Use Genie which is available here in the Great White North as well.

I use Genie Aladdin and it integrates nice with Control4, however I frequently have to reregister it In Composer HE as the login with Control4 frequently times out after a few weeks .

does this happen to you or others?

I know the Genie is still online because I still get notifications through the native Genie app, it just falls off line in Control4.

So I have to go in HE and sign in with the Genie password etc so Control4 sees the garage doors again. 

anyway to fix this ?

1 hour ago, antneed said:

I use Genie Aladdin and it integrates nice with Control4, however I frequently have to reregister it In Composer HE as the login with Control4 frequently times out after a few weeks .

does this happen to you or others?

I know the Genie is still online because I still get notifications through the native Genie app, it just falls off line in Control4.

So I have to go in HE and sign in with the Genie password etc so Control4 sees the garage doors again. 

anyway to fix this ?

Ensure your drivers are updated. I've never had to do this with mine and I've had them through three plus years

Like many others have suggested the solder method with a Nyce zigbee tilt sensor and you have zero need to run a wire and it’s bulletproof (batteries need changed every few years). Cheap and bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/13/2023 at 12:18 PM, EdC4Tx said:

Not any more as Chamberlain are hostile to 3rd party integration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.