C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Zones

BY96

I will be adding eight audio zones to my Control4 system with the 8-zone Episode Resource matrix/amp. One audio "zone" is the master bathroom, while another audio "zone" is the shower. Can these two audio zones both be within the same "room" (i.e., Master Bathroom) within C4 or will a new room (i.e., Master Shower) have to be added to accommodate the shower zone? 

Hopefully, the question makes sense, though maybe it won't if I am misunderstanding how audio zones work. Thanks. 

59 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Will it be intended to always play the same thing when audio turns on?

Or is discrete control required for each zone?  If so, separate rooms are needed. 

The shower and the bathroom will always play the same source. They are too close together to play different sources simultaneously. 

Same Zone qualifications:
1. play the same thing
2. both be on together
3. don't need individual volume in the app
4. appropriate amplification design and sound quality expectations

2 & 3 can be locally addressed easily with passive in wall volume controls.

Thanks @C4 User and @RAV - I assume you are both meaning wiring the shower and bathroom speakers on the same amp speaker output. I prefer to not go this route (and would prefer to make the shower a new "room" if that was the only other option). 

I guess my main question is whether you can have two audio zones (e.g., two "Listen" options) in one room. 

I am using one stereo (both left and right in one speaker) in-ceiling speaker in the bathroom and another one in the shower. And I will be using passive in-wall volume controls (as the wife likes a physical way to lower the volume). 

10 minutes ago, BY96 said:

I guess my main question is whether you can have two audio zones (e.g., two "Listen" options) in one room. 

I do not think this is possible, but someone smarter than me may prove me wrong. That said, you can program the two rooms to follow one another. 

Just now, C4 User said:

I do not think this is possible, but someone smarter than me may prove me wrong. That said, you can program the two rooms to follow one another. 

I honestly didn't think it was possible, but wanted to check. The idea of having a "shower room" seems strange to me, but I am fine with it if that is the best way. 

So you don't want #1 in the qualifications.
So 2 rooms is required, 2 sets of amp channels.

They may as well be on different sides of the house, as to operations and design.
The system can setup links and such, but it's all treated as 2 rooms.

4 minutes ago, RAV said:

So you don't want #1 in the qualifications.
So 2 rooms is required, 2 sets of amp channels.

They may as well be on different sides of the house, as to operations and design.
The system can setup links and such, but it's all treated as 2 rooms.

No - I am totally fine with qualification #1... the source would always be the same for the shower and bathroom. 

If you're OK with same source, and you're using passive volume controls already, then make them the same room, one zone.
Turn knob full down for either to be on without the other, and use knobs to balance volume when both on.

21 minutes ago, RAV said:

If you're OK with same source, and you're using passive volume controls already, then make them the same room, one zone.
Turn knob full down for either to be on without the other, and use knobs to balance volume when both on.

Sorry for the ignorance, can that be done without wiring both speakers to one amp output? 

I have speakers in both my master bedroom and master shower so my experience- make it two rooms.   The shower is in the bathroom - assuming you may have some lights or fans in there?  In our bathroom we have over head lights, shower lights, water closet lights, sconce lights, music, 2 fans (shower area and water closet area so they are different) and a heated floor zone so plenty of items to create it’s own room

also when shaving or showering late I can still listen to music at a low volume while the wife watches TV in bed or tries to fall asleep. 

Edited by eggzlot

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I have speakers in both my master bedroom and master shower so my experience- make it two rooms.   The shower is in the bathroom - assuming you may have some lights or fans in there?  In our bathroom we have over head lights, shower lights, water closet lights, sconce lights, music, 2 fans (shower area and water closet area so they are different) and a heated floor zone so plenty of items to create it’s own room

also when shaving or showering late I can still listen to music at a low volume while the wife watches TV in bed or tries to fall asleep. 

Thanks for the input. Yes, the shower has overhead lighting, niche lighting, and a fan, so the audio won't be the only thing in there if I make the shower into its own room. We too have heated floors, but it is continuous between the bathroom and shower, so I would leave that in the master bathroom. 

6 hours ago, SpencerT said:

Another possible option if you don't require separate sources and want a single room:

https://flow.audio/

And the free driver:

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/audio-video/audioflow-speaker-switch/

Thanks!! This may help me with a different problem I have outside, where I have two different zones with my current system but may need to combine them. This seems like a perfect option. 

I received the new Episode Response 8-zone matrix/amp today and will be rewiring my house this weekend to accommodate it. Right now, I am running an ABUS system into 9 zones. Due to the loss of one zone with the new system, I was planning to not use a zone currently in my backyard but will continue to use the zone on my back patio. 

I am trying to brainstorm the best approach to incorporating the 9th zone, either now or in the future. I can also think of two options: Use a speaker switch like the Audio Flow suggested above (which looks awesome) or add an additional two-channel amp to power the 9th zone and send outputs from the Episode Response to inputs on the smaller amp. Since the patio - Zone 8 - and backyard - Zone 9 - are right next to each other, they will always play the same source, which leads me to believe the speaker switch is the best option. However, I am open to other ideas or suggestions. 

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, BY96 said:

I received the new Episode Response 8-zone matrix/amp today and will be rewiring my house this weekend to accommodate it. Right now, I am running an ABUS system into 9 zones. Due to the loss of one zone with the new system, I was planning to not use a zone currently in my backyard but will continue to use the zone on my back patio. 

I am trying to brainstorm the best approach to incorporating the 9th zone, either now or in the future. I can also think of two options: Use a speaker switch like the Audio Flow suggested above (which looks awesome) or add an additional two-channel amp to power the 9th zone and send outputs from the Episode Response to inputs on the smaller amp. Since the patio - Zone 8 - and backyard - Zone 9 - are right next to each other, they will always play the same source, which leads me to believe the speaker switch is the best option. However, I am open to other ideas or suggestions. 

Thanks. 

TriadOne is your best option here, u can use it as a C4 zone in your 9th zone regardless of its location, it will join any other zone and it’s seamless C4 experience!

All you need is power and you are up and running, it has LAN and WiFi as well, just hook up your speakers pair to it and that’s it, I have 7 Zones, 4 covered by a 4x4 Matrix and 3xTriadOne’s

On 6/28/2023 at 7:06 PM, BY96 said:

Thank you! I will add that to the options list. Probably outside of my price range for now, but I am in no rush to figure out the 9th zone. 

Well, I never paid more than $350 a piece including taxes and shipping in US, flow-audio will cost you more than that! Or u go manual switch for 2 adjacent zones!

4 minutes ago, Amr said:

Well, I never paid more than $350 a piece including taxes and shipping in US, flow-audio will cost you more than that!

I definitely think, given the setup, triad one is a great fit here. 

But I'm having trouble with your math. 

https://www.amazon.com/Audioflow-Speaker-Switch-Selector-Smart/dp/B08M5KL646/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1NFRLS1DFGQB9&keywords=audioflow&qid=1688086382&sprefix=audioflow%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

🙄

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.