C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple Speakers For One Zone

If I wanted to add 6 speakers to a single zone on my audio matrix to service the perimeter of a backyard, what would be the best be achieve this?  

I have an old AV receivers and was thinking about utilizing that?

That's an option provided you don't care about perfect sync elsewhere (AVRs almost always add something, even on ext/7ch/matrix.whatever the brands name for everything to every speaker is.

The 'proper' way to do landscape speakers is of course to use 70v and an appropriate amp. any power amp can be used too, provided it has a global input or loop-outs for it's inputs.

I recently added a 70V system with two buried subs and six satellites.   I very happy with it.  Speaking of delays, if you have both house-attached and far away perimeter speakers, you'll still need to tweak delays.  Not from processing timing, but just due to speed of sound.   Depending on distances and seating locations, you'll need to pick a sweet spot and tweak delays for that spot.  

Can anyone suggest a good 70v system and amp that is cost effective?  This is just for outdoor audio speakers around the perimeter of my backyard.

I already have a 1 x TS-AMS24 and 2 x TS-PAMP8-100.  Currently I have 14 zones used for audio (but 3 of those are via stereo receivers in the rooms that have Video/Audio).  This would leave me with 2 or 5 available zones?

70V allows for "daisy chaining" the speakers which would save a lot of wire and a lot of work.  Would this not create delay/lag issues between the first and last speaker in the chain?

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

Can anyone suggest a good 70v system and amp that is cost effective?  This is just for outdoor audio speakers around the perimeter of my backyard.

I already have a 1 x TS-AMS24 and 2 x TS-PAMP8-100.  Currently I have 14 zones used for audio (but 3 of those are via stereo receivers in the rooms that have Video/Audio).  This would leave me with 2 or 5 available zones?

70V allows for "daisy chaining" the speakers which would save a lot of wire and a lot of work.  Would this not create delay/lag issues between the first and last speaker in the chain?

Not sure it will be totally in sync with the other regular speakers, I had bought a 70V amp 7 yrs ago for my outdoor and never hooked it up! I will try to dig out the info for you. If you need it OvrC enabled I believe Episode have many 70V models

4 hours ago, ajd123 said:

No. They wouldn’t be able to sell many 70v systems if this were the case. We use outdoor 70v systems from Sonance & Episode. They require a separate amp, so you will only be using an output of your AMS24, and no extra channels from your 8 ohm amps need to be used.

I have the triad garden array (8 gsats and 1 in ground sub) being driven by a Crown CDI 2|600. The CDI signal is being fed from an AMS16. Those go around my pool deck, but at one end of the pool I have a pavilion with 6 in ceiling triad speakers. Those speakers are being driver by a Sony AVR, with the input signal also coming from the AMS16. Everything is in sync. Only thing I notice is I have to turn the volume up higher on the AVR than I do on the 70v. 

Sonance, Triad and Episode are all good 70V speaker options.  Personally, I'd stay away from Episode amps and use Crown Audio or QSC amps.  Have used Lea Pro and Extron in a pinch which seems to be holding up.

Your goal here will be to figure out how many satellite speakers you want (although there is a way to design this properly) and at what 70V Tap setting you want to use.  Then add up all the wattage per speaker.  Then double that figure to get your amp wattage.  Example, 8 speakers x 35 W Tap setting= 280 W x 2 (headroom)= 560 W, so use 600 W Channel.  This could also be split up into 2 x 300 W channels with 2 speaker feeds.  My personal system uses Crown DCI 4|300 (4 x 300 W channels), of which 2 channels are 70V for Sats and 2 channels are for subs.

Subwoofers are typically wired for low impedance ( direct wiring, no daisy-chaining).

Assuming that you have 8 Ohm speakers then you should be able to connect two speakers to each channel in parallel.  So that means that you can get away with only using two zones for three sets of speakers.  I have done that in my yard and in my Master Bedroom ensuite.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:11 AM, zaphod said:

Assuming that you have 8 Ohm speakers then you should be able to connect two speakers to each channel in parallel.

While this was common and very possible on the old matrix amps Control4 had, this isn't a universal truth. ie the C4 power amps and Triad amps don't handle this well at all.

The amp must be RATED for 4Ohms to be able to do this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.