C4 Forums | Control4

Snap VS JoshAI

Control4Savant

On 10/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, chicagod said:

Greg, What command do you give to Josh to send C4 intercom announcements?

Sorry I didn't attach this sooner.  I never needed this document to know how to do the announcements but here is their document.  In my case I have Nano's & Micros in every bedroom and common areas.  So the VoiceCast provides the announcement everywhere. It also announces on the speakers in places where I don't have a Josh installed (i.e. pool speakers, BBQ area, patio, etc.)

Josh Announcements.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Newest mobile update.  Hoping C4 will actually either publish an update to their Smart Control publication and/or start sending information updates to end user customers for any updates to any relevant customer facing systems, apps, devices.  The new list icons was a case in point where had to come here to the forum to find out and no information sent to at least those with a 4Sight account (e-mail on file) to say hey we pushed these updates in the last day, week, month.

https://joshdotai.medium.com/a-special-holiday-release-introducing-the-new-josh-app-areas-interface-87a382c5a4d3

40 minutes ago, GregCAMS said:

Newest mobile update.  Hoping C4 will actually either publish an update to their Smart Control publication and/or start sending information updates to end user customers for any updates to any relevant customer facing systems, apps, devices.  The new list icons was a case in point where had to come here to the forum to find out and no information sent to at least those with a 4Sight account (e-mail on file) to say hey we pushed these updates in the last day, week, month.

https://joshdotai.medium.com/a-special-holiday-release-introducing-the-new-josh-app-areas-interface-87a382c5a4d3

Alas, not for Android users (only iOS).  Josh seems very iOS-centric with their development.  They upgraded their Android app (after being "in beta" for years) in September, but it still did not have parity with their iOS app when released.

6 minutes ago, chicagod said:

Alas, not for Android users (only iOS).  Josh seems very iOS-centric with their development.  They upgraded their Android app (after being "in beta" for years) in September, but it still did not have parity with their iOS app when released.

sorry should have just said iOS and not mobile on this. 

56 minutes ago, chicagod said:

Yup. You can't even setup a Josh system on Android. Which is really not acceptable 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I have to admit this looks pretty good. I feel like I misjudged this system.

That said, if i was Control4 i would be blocking them access to the system. 

will be interesting to see what comes from their litigation as most of the contention is between Ava and the remote instead of Josh which is a dealer/selling/distribution dispute when you read the legal filings (can see on the Strata-gee site).  Hopefully don't block it, otherwise just replace all C4 items I have with Lutron, Shelly and the like as it's unanimous in our household that the Josh Interfaces we use are fare more intuitive and engaging from a UI perspective to C4.  In addition, the ability to get answers directly from Josh support directly within minutes and fixes compared to my 12 years of support protocols from C4 and now Snap is in stark contrast.  Just my own experience but hope they don't cut it off as would be a farewell to C4 as a result.  

I'm likely jumping on the Josh.ai train and integrating. I get the conflict and some of it is inside baseball. The remotes are not their hardware and simply run their apps. I realize that is splitting hairs, but it's just an android stick. I don't think C4 should have sued before trying to come up with a solution that was mutually beneficial. C4 could build a Josh.ai voice system if they wanted, but given their finances and staffing I'm not sure it's recommended. I love competition and hope we see some, but lawsuits seem excessive. Sue AVA and not Josh.ai. Somehow I'm doubting there was any agreement on what form factor the Josh.ai app was limited to run on when integrating into C4. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd like to hold one of the AVA cin remotes. I feel the new clicky glass wheel is too low on the device to balance well based on seeing it, but not touching it.

The software UI changes didn't wow all that much.

The integrations with things like Shelly has potential, but I feel like this is preparing them for the market between Home Assistant and C4.

I think the new screen missed by not having a 4 mic farfield always on mic. If you have proximity and nano like mic at the screen location you can have context aware screens that change on you before you even touch. Looks nice. Hope it can be wifi and line powered vs POE.

11 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I have to admit this looks pretty good. I feel like I misjudged this system.

That said, if i was Control4 i would be blocking them access to the system. 

Block them out of spite?  What good would it do?  The only path to blocking them would be if Control4 has a voice product up their sleeve.  I must admit that during litigation, releasing touchsceens and more remotes seems a big effU.

2 minutes ago, Shoe said:

I'm likely jumping on the Josh.ai train and integrating. I get the conflict and some of it is inside baseball. The remotes are not their hardware and simply run their apps. I realize that is splitting hairs, but it's just an android stick. I don't think C4 should have sued before trying to come up with a solution that was mutually beneficial. C4 could build a Josh.ai voice system if they wanted, but given their finances and staffing I'm not sure it's recommended. I love competition and hope we see some, but lawsuits seem excessive. Sue AVA and not Josh.ai. Somehow I'm doubting there was any agreement on what form factor the Josh.ai app was limited to run on when integrating into C4. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd like to hold one of the AVA cin remotes. I feel the new clicky glass wheel is too low on the device to balance well based on seeing it, but not touching it.

The software UI changes didn't wow all that much.

The integrations with things like Shelly has potential, but I feel like this is preparing them for the market between Home Assistant and C4.

I think the new screen missed by not having a 4 mic farfield always on mic. If you have proximity and nano like mic at the screen location you can have context aware screens that change on you before you even touch. Looks nice. Hope it can be wifi and line powered vs POE.

I am a Josh dealer and I am a huge advocate for Josh.ai integration with Control4.  It's wildly powerful and until you live with it, you can't imagine what it brings to your home.  I do agree 1,000,000% the touchscreen mic situation is a HUGE miss.  I can't tell you the business it would have generated, let alone the fact that I would be installing them in my own home the day they start shipping.

Shelly integration is great (but for us with Control4, we already have it)

UI changes are very nice, but it was never really bad.

The recurring revenue model isn't a huge burden at $60/mo up to 500 devices controlled.  I would pay more for as much as we use it.  The hardware is a barrier to entry for some, but once you sink that cost, you sort of forget about it lol!

Yeah think the inside baseball is a good analogy.  Assume that'll get worked out since nearly all other major control platforms (Crestron, Lutron, ELAN) in addition to point solutions (Tidal, Nest, Google, Sonos, etc) are supported on that remote control platform as was just mentioned.  I don't see C4 putting development cost into voice as by many (not myself personally) as a niche market and just leverage the Alexa, Google, and Josh plaforms instead.  

I know there will be different perspectives but glad that the touchscreen does not have a far-field microphone for my specific use case.  I already have Nano and Micro devices in every zone of the home and just want to add a few touchscreens for a few spots for guest to have easy access for scenes they would not know otherwise when visiting (i.e. Great Room, Kitchen, etc.).  If they decided in a V2 to add a far field microphone with the option to disable to far-field microphone I'd be good with that similar to disabling the mic on the current hardware.

Pre-ordered the Cinema remote last week with anticipated delivery in early March to see how that goes.  Have 3 of the current models in guest rooms and based upon visitors in those rooms they loved them since they are phone app folks with their devices back at their homes.  Having the ability to have scenes in a visual format I can do without needing a dealer or effort of Composer style HE work is great and easy to swap and test within seconds.  Will see if battery life is better compared to Halo as definitely disappointed with some of the lack of functionality in Halo without doing button programming that I can already do on the Josh/Ava remote (locks, shades, fireplaces, heaters) from day 1 of receiving unit.

Biggest differentiator for our case is the UI is an order of magnitude better and the OTA updates both are detailed and frequent.  Along with that the end user customer like myself can go to a Medium Blog by the company or to their YouTube channel and review the changes and updates made. In the case of C4 I have to rely on a forum where the release notes are not published often or a change happens (like the photo icons in the iOS) with no accompanied detailed blog, video or detailed information on what updated and why.  That's a gripe but a reason for only using C4 now as a 'backbone/back office' element and not the front end UI we used to use it for those in the household and visitors.

Yeah think the inside baseball is a good analogy.  Assume that'll get worked out since nearly all other major control platforms (Crestron, Lutron, ELAN) in addition to point solutions (Tidal, Nest, Google, Sonos, etc) are supported on that remote control platform as was just mentioned.  I don't see C4 putting development cost into voice as by many (not myself personally) as a niche market and just leverage the Alexa, Google, and Josh plaforms instead.  
I know there will be different perspectives but glad that the touchscreen does not have a far-field microphone for my specific use case.  I already have Nano and Micro devices in every zone of the home and just want to add a few touchscreens for a few spots for guest to have easy access for scenes they would not know otherwise when visiting (i.e. Great Room, Kitchen, etc.).  If they decided in a V2 to add a far field microphone with the option to disable to far-field microphone I'd be good with that similar to disabling the mic on the current hardware.
Pre-ordered the Cinema remote last week with anticipated delivery in early March to see how that goes.  Have 3 of the current models in guest rooms and based upon visitors in those rooms they loved them since they are phone app folks with their devices back at their homes.  Having the ability to have scenes in a visual format I can do without needing a dealer or effort of Composer style HE work is great and easy to swap and test within seconds.  Will see if battery life is better compared to Halo as definitely disappointed with some of the lack of functionality in Halo without doing button programming that I can already do on the Josh/Ava remote (locks, shades, fireplaces, heaters) from day 1 of receiving unit.
Biggest differentiator for our case is the UI is an order of magnitude better and the OTA updates both are detailed and frequent.  Along with that the end user customer like myself can go to a Medium Blog by the company or to their YouTube channel and review the changes and updates made. In the case of C4 I have to rely on a forum where the release notes are not published often or a change happens (like the photo icons in the iOS) with no accompanied detailed blog, video or detailed information on what updated and why.  That's a gripe but a reason for only using C4 now as a 'backbone/back office' element and not the front end UI we used to use it for those in the household and visitors.

Do we know if the Cinema Remote will work with C4 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Do we know if the Cinema Remote will work with C4 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My assumption today is yes since it is the same OS that the current Touch Version uses.  I've had 3 Touch versions for 4 months that control all my C4 items integrated including shades, locks, fireplaces, HVAC, TV, music, Firepit, outdoor heaters, outdoor lighting, all video sources, ceiling fans from the remote.  Those scenes are done via their portal each customer like myself gets access to create and show them visually and locked to specific zones/rooms if desired.  So as of writing this the answer would be yes, unless C4 takes any further steps different from the other control platforms and tries to firewall/block it. 

14 minutes ago, GregCAMS said:

Sure, but think of new installs. You can sell more screens if they are also mic's. If you have the switch like the nano and you have the distance between the mics at all 4 corners it would be an amazing farfield mic.

Think of the context aware UI that could be possible. Josh.ai recognizing speaker. Uses roles based context. Facial recognition. Hey, Josh, what can I do in this room? Hey Josh turn off all security, unlock all doors then turn off the power to the rack... "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

I agree with you - is like a miss and part of it whether the OEM for the touchscreens has the current ability to put a far field micorpone on it.  My guess (wild one at that) is that this may come in a future version.  I'm not that hard on this topic as there were a ton of problems with T3 touchscreens that took forever to get resolved and the time to delivery T4 ones that that have none of this embedded for Alex and Google integration.  But yeah I can see where it is a miss and think they'll see what feedback comes from customers and dealers after install (and showcasing at CEDIA) along with the hardware OEM partners for future development.  

I imagine they don't make their hardware and using a partner is very time consuming and takes a good long runway. I'm sure this is off the shelf hardware with perhaps some form factor changes. A farfield mic array would be custom and takes more time. I'm guessing it's a simple choice of having something to sell or not in the target year. Not having a frame makes it that much more difficult to embed the mics. At least they didn't make it look like this:

image.thumb.png.381ba201b41e970ccb17f0d09542a072.png

57 minutes ago, Time2Jet said:

Block them out of spite?  What good would it do?  The only path to blocking them would be if Control4 has a voice product up their sleeve.  I must admit that during litigation, releasing touchsceens and more remotes seems a big effU.

Yeah pretty much. As people in this thread have mentioned they are ready to move away from C4 as they like the Josh front end. End users only really see the front end so when the time comes that Josh has other ways to control those backend devices there will not be a need for C4. If you are C4 you should cut it off now before more people get used to their UI over yours.

Josh has the advantage right now of not having to support all the legacy equipment that older control systems have to worry about. They are pretty much an all software company as i am guessing all that hardware is not proprietary. It makes sense to be the system that talks to a these subsystems (lighting, music, TV, etc.) instead of being that subsystem. This is what I thought control4 wanted to be years ago when one of their management said in an interview that they wanted to move away from hardware (i think his quote was "I hope we never make another thermostat"). I'll be interested to see where Josh goes and if any other companies will follow this path.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.