C4 Forums | Control4

Snap VS JoshAI

Control4Savant

15 hours ago, nxr said:

Although sounds like the comands are easier, I like Alexa in that it allows news and weather updates, intercom and announcements etc, which I understand Josh can’t do. 

as far as weather it gives me a prompt before asking on the iOS app when I open it showed in the one screenshot.  And then the second screen shot shows what it says when I asked what the weather is like.

IMG_CE2B93D87F89-1.jpeg

IMG_D1E2F1789349-1.jpeg

4 minutes ago, gregheard said:

I didn't have to do any setup.  Once the DS2 was connected to my network, Josh recognized it and showed it as Online in my Josh.ai Portal.  From there that was it on that side.  Then in the Josh iOS app there is a Push notifications option and turned it on to give me notifications upon Doorbell pressed.  It has options for sound detected and motion but those are ones I chose not to enable

Yup i see that but it doesnt allow you to take the intercom call correct?  And appears theres no support for the chime.

4 minutes ago, Ilushka85 said:

Yup i see that but it doesnt allow you to take the intercom call correct?  And appears theres no support for the chime.

That may be correct, although neither are a use case for me.  I don't know about Chime, only about the 2N unit since it is agnostic to control system for that unit.  For the intercom call I don't really use it for the doorbell to respond.  For packages they just get left there and for any service we have they input their door codes and it unlocks the house and disables the alarm if armed.  But yeah if need to use the intercom function to converse with them that would be something I think it does not do.  And inside the home it's treated like a PA system as opposed to 2-way.  We've had the Intercom Anywhere for 2+ years and almost never use it.

• 1 month later...

There’s seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what Josh.ai is in this thread.

Josh.ai has voice oriented hardware, but it’s a home automation hub and is technically just as capable as Control4 or Savant controllers. The odd ball factor is that Josh.ai leans into existing pro solution platforms to close integration gaps — for now.

Most, if not, all of my automations for my home outside of my home theater are currently setup using my Josh.ai Core + their natural language scripts with a mixture of native and Control4 integrations. It works better than most of the competitors minus a few gripes I have.

If Snap were to remove the control4 integration with Josh.ai, I would be forced to move to a competitor (like Savant) plain and simple. I have not upgraded my EA-1 to a core yet and won’t until I have to atm.

I loved the Neeo remotes on launch, but SnapAV ruined the product over time. The Neeo remote is plagued by battery and networking issues and just didn’t evolve the way it should have.

To get what I want, a Neeo like design with decent hardware, some form of platform portability, and good snappy UI — the AVA Cinema remote is targeting people like me. Control4’s offerings remain crappy tbh.

5 minutes ago, thecodingart said:

There’s seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what Josh.ai is in this thread.

Josh.ai has voice oriented hardware, but it’s a home automation hub and is technically just as capable as Control4 or Savant controllers. The odd ball factor is that Josh.ai leans into existing pro solution platforms to close integration gaps — for now.

Most, if not, all of my automations for my home outside of my home theater are currently setup using my Josh.ai Core + their natural language scripts with a mixture of native and Control4 integrations. It works better than most of the competitors minus a few gripes I have.

If Snap were to remove the control4 integration with Josh.ai, I would be forced to move to a competitor (like Savant) plain and simple. I have not upgraded my EA-1 to a core yet and won’t until I have to atm.

I loved the Neeo remotes on launch, but SnapAV ruined the product over time. The Neeo remote is plagued by battery and networking issues and just didn’t evolve the way it should have.

To get what I want, a Neeo like design with decent hardware, some form of platform portability, and good snappy UI — the AVA Cinema remote is targeting people like me. Control4’s offerings remain crappy tbh.

You just repeated everything we have discussed on this site about Josh… and Savant doesnt have Josh integration nor do I see it happening with their new deeper dive into Apple hardware and Siri integrations… 

7 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

You just repeated everything we have discussed on this site about Josh… and Savant doesnt have Josh integration nor do I see it happening with their new deeper dive into Apple hardware and Siri integrations… 

Savant has had Josh.ai integration..

https://joshdotai.medium.com/josh-ai-announces-savant-integration-295e0a06b285

https://www.strata-gee.com/josh-ai-savant-partner-on-advanced-voice-integration/

Josh no longer has Savant integration. One of the two parties stepped away from the integration. Sad. A lot of Savant dealers spent boatloads of money on Josh equipment.

Here’s the thing that I can’t impress enough…. Josh isn’t for everyone. It’s a luxury home automation platform that also happens to create an amazingly powerful synergy when coupled with Control4. It is by no means inexpensive, because it is a luxury line. It isn’t designed for the masses. (Although the latest hardware programs suggest they are willing to meet in the middle with less features).

The target Josh market is the luxury market.

All of that said, if that’s a direction you choose to go… you won’t be sorry or feel like you’re not getting your money’s worth. It’s a fantastic product and no one in the voice control space is anywhere close today. And if/when they are near comparable, they won’t be a line that’s discounted on PrimeDay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, thecodingart said:

im pretty sure SnapAV had nothing to do with the Neeo remote. it came before them. the neeo evolved into the halo remote which looks to be much better than the AVA Cinema remote.

Josh.ai still looks like a scam to me. sorry.

Have used Josh.ai Micros since 2020 and they still work fantastic to this day and used way more than the T3 in-walls that they replaced.  At present they are a very nice compliment to the Control4 system I've had since 2011 along with the upgrades in gear.  We have the HALO touch remotes in all rooms with a TV but use the Josh commands via the hardware or the app for everything other than controlling the TV.  It is disappointing that the voice control integration promised at 2022 CEDIA between Josh and Control4 has not happened.  When I went to this year's CEDIA I went by both the Josh and the SnapOne booths and asked about the timeline.  What I got from the representatives was it was the other company's responsibility to develop that integration (the equivalent of pointing fingers).  Meanwhile Crestron, ELAN, and Lutron have their voice commands integrated to the AVA remote.  It's not a dealbreaker but it would be nice to have this integration promised (videos from CEDIA 202) that promised it which is a bit of a farce considering they stated and showcased something coming to market that never materialized.  In going thru the demonstration at the Josh booth at CEDIA this year they were strongly emphasizing and showcasing their system as a full automation platform with the integrations to leading manufacturers which was nice to see.  Not going to rip out my C4 gear here since it's quite extensive but would be curious to see how a stack of their Core's together would function in operating a future home as most of my controlled devices also already work with Josh natively.

Also disappointing to see the Touch or the Non-Touch missing key control functionality after this amount of time on the market (i.e. Shades, Alarm, cameras, etc).  That's pathetic

11 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

Josh works great here in my home. I have several Nano's and its integrated with Control4. He does everything I tell him to do.

And now with the new licensing, its much less expensive getting started

ditto!  My current 5 year license is coming due soon so happy about that the change in pricing forthcoming

If any dealers get word of when the Josh to Halo integration might be coming that'd be greatly appreciated to know!!!

1 hour ago, GregCAMS said:

If any dealers get word of when the Josh to Halo integration might be coming that'd be greatly appreciated to know!!!

I don’t believe either side will make any further announcements until this SNAP/AVA/Josh lawsuit is sorted.  Josh is reassuring the dealer network that the integration will remain, but those are just words.  

I’m hopeful things get sorted out sooner rather than later.  It’s too good of a synergy to not continue to build from.  I don’t disagree with SNAP killing the AVA integration.  The current future of Control4 is the Halo Remote platform and they spent a bunch of cash getting that rolled out.  

5 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

I don't see the Josh/c4 integration stopping.

I think greg was asking about Josh using the halo remote voice button. And that was a hot topic up until the lawsuit

That would be a game changer for many!

@JSTRONG that's correct.  I asked 2 Josh reps at CEDIA and 3 different Snap One reps at their booth and got the equivalent of the shoulder shrug and pointing of 'that's on them.'  The bad part is the discussion of this functionality was in September 2022 which was 10.5 months before a lawsuit was filed in late August of this year.

4 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

I don't see the Josh/c4 integration stopping.

I think greg was asking about Josh using the halo remote voice button. And that was a hot topic up until the lawsuit

That would be a game changer for many!

Agree, just won’t see any movement until the suit is resolved.  We hear that current integration is and will be supported …and short of the Halo voice feature, it’s still crazy powerful.  I don’t think most understand what we mean when we say there’s a synergy that makes each better than on their own.  Anything you can program in Control4, you can create a voice scene to fire.  And Josh’s room/area awareness is a huge game changer.  Trigger:  Who is in the backyard?  Response:  Camera pops in local, some or all navigators.  So much you can do.  

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

What makes it a scam? It's a real product and very powerful 

It’s a product that does home automation but also requires a home automation product like Control4 or Crestron. Sorry I’ll stick with just c4. It’s nuts to pay for a product like control4 and then pay again for Josh to do the same things control4 can already do.  Voice control is a feature, not a standalone product. 

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Lol.. a scam?! wow. 

I would be skeptical of any dealer who sells someone control4 and then sells them Josh on top. It would be like installing crestron and then then installing control4 on top of that. Voice control can’t be worth it to pay for 2 control systems that do the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

It’s a product that does home automation but also requires a home automation product like Control4 or Crestron. Sorry I’ll stick with just c4. It’s nuts to pay for a product like control4 and then pay again for Josh to do the same things control4 can already do.  Voice control is a feature, not a standalone product. 

Josh can totally be a standalone automation system with direct integration with many partners. But this is a control4 forum.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

I would be skeptical of any dealer who sells someone control4 and then sells them Josh on top. It would be like installing crestron and then then installing control4 on top of that. Voice control can’t be worth it to pay for 2 control systems that do the same thing. 

I guess you should stop dealing with any pros then…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.