C4 Forums | Control4

Snap VS JoshAI

Control4Savant

It's a lot easier to do a display this way and also have front facing mic and prox sensor. Tell me why it doesn't have a camera. I mean, it's about a 2 dollar upcharge per device to have a front camera. No option for facial recognition or video intercom. I guess they went with the privacy minded approach.

6 minutes ago, Shoe said:

It's a lot easier to do a display this way and also have front facing mic and prox sensor. Tell me why it doesn't have a camera. I mean, it's about a 2 dollar upcharge per device to have a front camera. No option for facial recognition or video intercom. I guess they went with the privacy minded approach.

I care much more about intercom broadcasting than video intercom. we all have phones. Most people don’t want to be seen on a touch screen answering a doorbell

Its not unlike a Roku remote.

I like it. I'd have one. I'd like it to have more curve on the back so it palms nicely. Candy bar remotes don't feel good. I like the potential for custom buttons, but I'd wager that might get axed. I hope they offer color options so we can color code by room.

1 hour ago, Ilushka85 said:

How does it get 3 months of battery life?  How does it connect to josh... if its wifi no way there is 3 months of battery life.

Yeah I am very curious on that. I wonder if they are making this device custom or using some OEM device.

2 hours ago, Ilushka85 said:

How does it get 3 months of battery life?  How does it connect to josh... if its wifi no way there is 3 months of battery life.

The remote itself will communicate via Bluetooth to the base station, which will communicate WiFi.  Base station is always connected to power so no worries there!

23 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

The remote itself will communicate via Bluetooth to the base station, which will communicate WiFi.  Base station is always connected to power so no worries there!

So there is a charging station it will talk to?

6 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Snap probably should've done this with the Halo remotes for better battery life too.

10 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

Snap probably should've done this with the Halo remotes for better battery life too.

Downside of base locked remote is that you can't move remotes around, and bluetooth generally has limited range (though it's been increasing with new iterations and I don't know which version they're using).

That isn't saying one is  better choice than the other - but there are downsides to the idea.

This probably needs it's own thread. Personally, I don't like cradles or base stations. It would have to go in a cabinet. Would be nice if they made it a POE switch so you could stick it on the back of the TV.

I think things get complicated or more complex when you have to start pairing remotes with bases and keeping bases on the wifi network. My micro wifi experience was bad.

If it didn't have voice I'd say Zigbee or if they wanted to be cool Lorawan. With voice you have bluetooth or wifi direct.

I do hope Josh adds a Zigbee/matter/bridge and ability to add the endless ecosystem of devices.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Downside of base locked remote is that you can't move remotes around, and bluetooth generally has limited range (though it's been increasing with new iterations and I don't know which version they're using).

That isn't saying one is  better choice than the other - but there are downsides to the idea.

Yes, Josh's idea was to put one of these in each room. 

1 hour ago, JSTRONG said:

Yes, Josh's idea was to put one of these in each room. 

Do you have non-adult kids?

I'd be in a heap of trouble if I had to keep remotes in a SPECIFIC room at all times to work reliably.

I have more remotes than I have rooms and STILL can't find remotes in the Living room because my kids have 4 remotes in the Study....and 3 more are stuck in or under the couches

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.