C4 Forums | Control4

Snap VS JoshAI

Control4Savant

This is hyperbole and an argument without direction.

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a fact that if they win, Josh.ai will almost certainly be enjoined from infringing on SnapOne’s patents. They’ll then want to lift the injunction so they’ll have to get a license from SnapOne. I’m not saying SnapOne is going to win-I haven’t reviewed the merits of the case, but that’s how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a fact that if they win, Josh.ai will almost certainly be enjoined from infringing on SnapOne’s patents. They’ll then want to lift the injunction so they’ll have to get a license from SnapOne. I’m not saying SnapOne is going to win-I haven’t reviewed the merits of the case, but that’s how it works.

Do you have a Josh.ai integration?

Again, generally, interoperability is protected. This is why Snap went out of their way to even bother making a statement that they continue to support the integration. The suit is regarding the AVA remote. Doubt Snap has any specific patent on a tablet on the wall. Snap has the most at risk, honestly. They have their reputation to lose. This is a perception game and they might not realize they are playing the game.

Do you have a Josh.ai integration?
Again, generally, interoperability is protected. This is why Snap went out of their way to even bother making a statement that they continue to support the integration. The suit is regarding the AVA remote. Doubt Snap has any specific patent on a tablet on the wall. Snap has the most at risk, honestly. They have their reputation to lose. This is a perception game and they might not realize they are playing the game.

You should read the complaint.

Paragraph 4 says they have taken steps to stop the AVA remote from working with C4. Paragraph 5 also says that Josh.ai has an SDK license agreement to integrate its voice product with C4. The very first claim of the complaint is that Josh.ai has breached that agreement.

Then the complaint says that Josh.ai has, in addition to the remote, developed other products that infringe on C4’s patents, including the Josh Core, Nano and Micro. Then it seeks a permanent injunction.

I’m not commenting on the strength of Control4’s claims. Nor am I trying to fear monger. Josh.ai could have a complete victory and even potentially invalidate C4’s patents. But, I’m just reading what it says.

I read what C4 put out before about the integration-it didn’t commit to much in the future but, if I’m recalling correctly, focused on the present.

Do you have an integration with Josh.ai or is this back and forth more or less just for fun?

Typically, in a lawsuit they throw everything they have at the wall just in case something sticks.

I am actually very interested in purchasing Josh.ai so that’s prompted me to follow this from afar. I’m a long time admirer of their products. Also, I know a little bit about lawsuits…. But appreciate the perspective.

If control4 wins there may be changes... But we don't know what they will be.... 

That’s 100% true. There are a wide range of possible outcomes, including that Josh.ai may win. Probably the most likely outcome is some kind of settlement that keeps both companies working together. Despite their many battles, Apple still has Chrome on the iPhone, Google maps, Waze and Google search, for example. We will see!

8 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

I am actually very interested in purchasing Josh.ai so that’s prompted me to follow this from afar. I’m a long time admirer of their products. Also, I know a little bit about lawsuits

From your questions you don't sound like an attorney. If I were to give you some advice I would say its worth investing in Josh now vs potentially later if you want it. These things drag on for years. In a few years there will be new options. Enjoy it. For all we know Snap might abandon C4 is 3 years. Lots of things could happen.

I only ever think I get 3-4 years out of a piece of technology before I want to upgrade.

I'm not totally sold on the value for the screen. I'd be thrilled if they offered the tablet apk for a license fee.

From your questions you don't sound like an attorney. If I were to give you some advice I would say its worth investing in Josh now vs potentially later if you want it. These things drag on for years. In a few years there will be new options. Enjoy it. For all we know Snap might abandon C4 is 3 years. Lots of things could happen.
I only ever think I get 3-4 years out of a piece of technology before I want to upgrade.
I'm not totally sold on the value for the screen. I'd be thrilled if they offered the tablet apk for a license fee.

giphy.gif

But not entirely wrong about purchasing now and the future of C4. Who knows. All we know is what C4 has in their Complaint and the statement. My point was that C4 is seeking a lot more than just blocking a remote.

56 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

I’m asking that. If I have C4 lights and I want to turn them off, does the touchscreen do that? If I have C4 audio, does the touchscreen control that? If the answer is no, then I guess it doesn’t matter what C4 does.

Asking what? Why are you buying a Josh screen for a Control4 system?

Asking what? Why are you buying a Josh screen for a Control4 system?

This is a C4 forum (I know your use is to sell Savant which is all good. Savant is a nice system but most of us on here have C4). I asked questions because I have C4, am interested in Josh.ai’s products and interface, and want to know if it integrates through C4 (and if C4 could block it). I’m not trying to take down Savant, Josh.ai or insult you. It’s all good.

Josh touch screen gives him the voice control as well as he may like the interface better than control 4 (many prefer Josh interface ) 

Yeah I mean it’s a huge advantage to have voice without having to install another microphone on the wall. Before C4, I used to be a DIY guy with Samsung Smartthings and I used Alexa for everything (literally didn’t touch a wall switch for a year), but Josh.ai seems a lot more capable.

4 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Before C4, I used to be a DIY guy with Samsung Smartthings and I used Alexa for everything

You should at least let one of these guys sell you a micro or Josh One and try it out. Micro if you want farfield and a One if you just want to try the app. You can always buy more micros or get nanos and a core.

19 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

This is a C4 forum (I know your use is to sell Savant which is all good. Savant is a nice system but most of us on here have C4). I asked questions because I have C4, am interested in Josh.ai’s products and interface, and want to know if it integrates through C4 (and if C4 could block it). I’m not trying to take down Savant, Josh.ai or insult you. It’s all good.

I am a Control4 dealer… have been since 2006. It’s amazing how im never the one bringing Savant into these conversations.. and if you like Josh as a better control system, dont use C4. 

I am a Control4 dealer… have been since 2006. It’s amazing how im never the one bringing Savant into these conversations.. and if you like Josh as a better control system, dont use C4. 

Ok I’ll share my story, even though it’s off topic. I don’t mind the C4 UI, which I think is nice, but I think Savant’s is a little nicer. I renovated a home down to the studs and spent a lot of time cross shopping systems. Those were my final two choices and I saw a house with an amazing Savant setup.

However, I am really big on third party integration and tinker with my system a lot - like constantly. C4, at least when I bought it, had significantly more 3rd party integration. I haven’t kept up with Savant, but that was the big reason I chose C4. I was looking for something that could integrate a large range of devices from different vendors and that would be stable/reliable (because I was coming from SST, which was anything but and ran primarily on Z Wave). Home automation is a hobby of mine but I don’t have time to be constantly fixing broken stuff. My job is too busy.

I’m not in love with Alexa but I really like voice control as a medium. So that’s why I’ve been interested in Josh.ai from the beginning, but 15k for it, which is where it was for a 5 year license and all the stuff I’d want, was not an insignificant cost and even pre-lawsuit, I’ve always been worried about large commitments to smaller companies that are developing new technologies.

Now that I’m a bit removed from installing my C4/home automation system and I’ve fully paid for it/my bank account has recovered, I’m interested again - and I hear the pricing has changed and is maybe a bit more favorable.

1 hour ago, Topspin14m said:

I’ve always been worried about large commitments to smaller companies that are developing new technologies.

I think this is a very reasonable and common consideration when looking at Josh.ai.

List prices get you a micro and one year of license/service for about $900. That's enough to try it in one room and use the software for with up to 100 devices.

3 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Ok I’ll share my story, even though it’s off topic. I don’t mind the C4 UI, which I think is nice, but I think Savant’s is a little nicer. I renovated a home down to the studs and spent a lot of time cross shopping systems. Those were my final two choices and I saw a house with an amazing Savant setup.

However, I am really big on third party integration and tinker with my system a lot - like constantly. C4, at least when I bought it, had significantly more 3rd party integration. I haven’t kept up with Savant, but that was the big reason I chose C4. I was looking for something that could integrate a large range of devices from different vendors and that would be stable/reliable (becausexa I was coming from SST, which was anything but and ran primarily on Z Wave). Home automation is a hobby of mine but I don’t have time to be constantly fixing broken stuff. My job is too busy.

I’m not in love with Alexa but I really like voice control as a medium. So that’s why I’ve been interested in Josh.ai from the beginning, but 15k for it, which is where it was for a 5 year license and all the stuff I’d want, was not an insignificant cost and even pre-lawsuit, I’ve always been worried about large commitments to smaller companies that are developing new technologies.

Now that I’m a bit removed from installing my C4/home automation system and I’ve fully paid for it/my bank account has recovered, I’m interested again - and I hear the pricing has changed and is maybe a bit more favorable.

I dont know when you got your HA system and Id have to know more about what you are trying to integrate with…  however thats usually a huge misconception. I mean most brands support the major 3rd party partner products. Savant list of compatible SS is shyt. We can write custom XML drivers for at least a decade on anything really… I remember years back someone made a driver for the Dominos Pizza Tracker api. Im not supporting systems with random off the wall IoT devices tho. I have never really rant into an experienced Savant dealer that has integration problem.  Couldn’t say for sure in your case… 

We dont need to make this about Savant tho… who’s NOT a Josh partner… currently…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.