C4 Forums | Control4

Dealer Onboarding

Hi there,

I know many of the members on the forum are Control4 dealers so I thought I would ask here. I am just starting to do home automation/technology systems on the side and would love to offer Control4 systems. I don't have projects on a consistent basis but would still like to be able to install Control4. Are there any sales requirements or business size requirements for becoming a dealer? I'm just gathering the information to see if this is something I may do in the future. 

Thanks!

Carter

4 hours ago, Carter Hobson said:

Hi there,

I know many of the members on the forum are Control4 dealers so I thought I would ask here. I am just starting to do home automation/technology systems on the side and would love to offer Control4 systems. I don't have projects on a consistent basis but would still like to be able to install Control4. Are there any sales requirements or business size requirements for becoming a dealer? I'm just gathering the information to see if this is something I may do in the future. 

Thanks!

Carter

If you are in the 48 States - given your brief summary - you will not qualify to be a dealer

54 minutes ago, Carter Hobson said:

I am in Canada, but your most likely correct with the assumption. Does anyone know the certain requirements, so I can maybe consider it for the future?

Have a business, have a showroom, minimum quantity buy annually 

“Starting to do automation systems on the side” is also a terrifying sentence….

OP, have you ever drilled into a $20k fireplace to hang a TV? Do you know what a $200k smart home looks like?  

My point is IMO starting a dealership without ever working with the product and without having heavy experience in related systems (Elan, Crestron, AMX, Savant, RTI) you really have no business doing so. Not only is it a disservice to the customers but it will further damage the dealer model. 

16 minutes ago, BXTR said:

I’m not sure if things have changed but there was also a sizeable buy in when we became dealers 

In a way yes… however if you are starting a dealership I would assume you have some type of estimated projects ready to go to utilize the costs of the buy in, which also includes usually a pretty nice additional discount for the dealer. You would also need to demo said system appropriately in a private or commercial space so that costs is also absorbed.  Also as we dealers know, the buy in is also nothing compared to what you need to sell to keep the brand. 

1 hour ago, Control4Savant said:

“Starting to do automation systems on the side” is also a terrifying sentence….

OP, have you ever drilled into a $20k fireplace to hang a TV? Do you know what a $200k smart home looks like?  

My point is IMO starting a dealership without ever working with the product and without having heavy experience in related systems (Elan, Crestron, AMX, Savant, RTI) you really have no business doing so. Not only is it a disservice to the customers but it will further damage the dealer model. 

I mean, its no more terrifying than someone doing electrical work on the side and those guys are everywhere. The consequences are basically the same.

Now that C4 isnt its own thing they probably arent as concerned about growing the customer base as much as they were but im sure they still want to get installs out there. If I was going to do a part time C4 business I would try to do those traditional single media room installs that RTI and URC used to dominate. Come in with a CORE LITE and then try to get them to add some lighting and other simple integrations with some of their existing products. if the project got much bigger than that i would hand off to one of the bigger dealers.

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I mean, its no more terrifying than someone doing electrical work on the side and those guys are everywhere. The consequences are basically the same.

Now that C4 isnt its own thing they probably arent as concerned about growing the customer base as much as they were but im sure they still want to get installs out there. If I was going to do a part time C4 business I would try to do those traditional single media room installs that RTI and URC used to dominate. Come in with a CORE LITE and then try to get them to add some lighting and other simple integrations with some of their existing products. if the project got much bigger than that i would hand off to one of the bigger dealers.

Yeah I agree, If I ever did get into automation, single-room systems would be my best starting point as they are low-risk and don't require too much programming. As a 1 person enterprise, I would not want to take on anything huge as that would just be too much. It would be nice if Control4 had an entry point like this for smaller dealers to just be trained on simple installs. 

9 minutes ago, Carter Hobson said:

Yeah I agree, If I ever did get into automation, single-room systems would be my best starting point as they are low-risk and don't require too much programming. As a 1 person enterprise, I would not want to take on anything huge as that would just be too much. It would be nice if Control4 had an entry point like this for smaller dealers to just be trained on simple installs. 

Here is the thing though; I dont think Control4/Snap wants this. I think they would rather make it easier for their bigger dealers to take on these smaller jobs. No proof of that but all signs point that way. I could make a point for or against that thinking.

27 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Most electrical side work is pretty basic. 

I would imagine im not the only dealer here regularly taking over projects that are $50k+ and done by a “pro” clearly had zero understanding about high end and custom low voltage integration (tech bros) or are trained only understanding of the tech solutions being promised (non tech bros). Im sorry but we dont need more of that. There are non listed dealers that do small work. 

IMO…selling single zone Control4 systems is pretty ridiculous. If you do custom Home theater installs then yes, other wise trying to compete with a Sonos/ARC/Streamer combinations is not great. 

1 minute ago, Carter Hobson said:

Yeah, I for sure understand where everybody is coming from with this topic. I was just gathering some information about becoming a dealer, and what that looks like for a business. Everybody has to start somewhere :)

this place isnt going to be helpful for what you are wanting to do (as youve seen). sorry.

8 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I would imagine im not the only dealer here regularly taking over projects that are $50k+ and done by a “pro” clearly had zero understanding about high end and custom low voltage integration (tech bros) or are trained only understanding of the tech solutions being promised (non tech bros). Im sorry but we dont need more of that. There are non listed dealers that do small work. 

This may be true but just because someone does something on the side doesnt mean they dont know what they are doing. There is at least 1 guy in here who does C4 on the side who I would trust a lot more than any of the dealers local to me.

18 minutes ago, Carter Hobson said:

Yeah, I for sure understand where everybody is coming from with this topic. I was just gathering some information about becoming a dealer, and what that looks like for a business. Everybody has to start somewhere :)

I think theres always opportunities. I do more specific jobs now as a small shop and dont deal by numbers. I also have 15 years of Control4/Diamond/Pinnacle experience. We just want to keep things in perspective. A LOT of what we (dealers) do seems very basic as some power users on here know but you would be amazed how quickly you can overlook something when each project is unique. 

15 minutes ago, Carter Hobson said:

I figured I would ask this in the same stream as it's relevant. Are there also major sales targets for being just a SnapOne partner? I applied to that hoping it would be a good place to source other home A/V equipment at discounted rates, such as Sonos and Lutron. 

Distribution centers (Snap included) usualy dont have qualifying numbers except for premium brands… in this forums case being Control4.  You can also apply for an account at many of the Snap brand distributors around the country if you dont want to buy from the direct. 

Pretty sure its different in Canada, that you cant sign up as a snapone partner. It is done through Staub electronics. Who also have a hefty buy in fee and annual purchase numbers. What part of canada are you in? Best bet might be to buddy up with a current dealer in some fashion.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/news/snap-av-expands-into-canada

Ryan

3 minutes ago, Ryanjackson said:

Pretty sure its different in Canada, that you cant sign up as a snapone partner. It is done through Staub electronics. Who also have a hefty buy in fee and annual purchase numbers. What part of canada are you in? Best bet might be to buddy up with a current dealer in some fashion.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/news/snap-av-expands-into-canada

Ryan

I dont know what you mean by buddy up.. but dont give clients the impression you are a Control4 dealer and support/carry a brand when you dont. 

8 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

I dont know what you mean by buddy up.. but dont give clients the impression you are a Control4 dealer and support/carry a brand when you dont. 

This would be for having access to non Control4 Snap brands in Canada I would think, as per your own comment: not that I recommend it as it leaves you without proper access to SNAP support once the buddy isn't a buddy anymore....

Should be noted that Snap has owned Staub for the last year or so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.