C4 Forums | Control4

Is ecobee just not supported anymore on Control4 or something?

For the past almost year I've had nothing but issues with ecobee even though it was flawless for a year before that.  It will work fine, and then you notice that all the temperatures are showing the wrong value, and when you click on Comfort it says to enter your pin on the ecobee site and register it as an app.  We literally have to do this every single week.  I've had 2 different dealers redo our system, deleting all ecobee and readding it, but it happens constantly.  I thought it was resolved as we managed to make it 3 weeks now, but yesterday sure enough it's back disconnected.  I delete and reauthorize the app, and this time it made it a whole day and now it's back to saying please request PIn code on the Extras Screen.

We had a EA3 controller but switched to a Core 3 a year or so ago whenever it was they came out, and same issue on both of them.

I have contacted ecobee support and they advised that it shows authorized but that the issue is with Control4 (unsurprisingly), and they suggested I open a support ticket with them.  I've already done that twice now, so outside of having ecobee fully removed from this system is there anything else I can check or try?

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

I've heard that it loses connection when the Control4 controller is rebooted

This has not been my experience.

I don't know if it matters, but do you have fixed IP's set up for the Ecobee and do you have them on a 2.4 AP ?

36 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

You don't by chance have your controller set to reboot every night or something, do you?

I don't!  It only reboots in a power outage which is extremely rare and has been longer than I can remember.

20 minutes ago, Shoe said:

This has not been my experience.

I don't know if it matters, but do you have fixed IP's set up for the Ecobee and do you have them on a 2.4 AP ?

Almost all of my devices have fixed IP's (set via DHCP reservation) but I don't for this particular one for some reason so I could try that.  It's on 2.4Ghz channel as I keep all IoT devices on one specifically.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Driver was updated - I would make sure you are updated.... 

My dealer confirmed this morning that it's on the latest ecobee driver and that there's no updates available to any drivers on my system.

No idea, I'll try the suggestion above about fixed IP.  It is very frustrating as it's usually always 69 degrees in the house, so when the ecobee stops working, each navigator still shows 69 degrees under comfort, so it's usually quite some time before I realize that it's not actually working as I don't control the ecobee from Control4 at all, it's just to display the temperature on the sensors in each room.  The ecobee remote temperature sensors on the navigators continue to show the last temperature even if it has been disconnected from ecobee's servers for a week.

Yep, been there as I have 7 ecobees in my house with zone controlled unit. It will disconnect with a reboot so make sure you are on a UPS as the slightest glitch with kick you off. Make sure that you you don't have any other binding in the ecobee account. AS why it has to connect to the cloud server is stupid as much more reliable to just connect locally. Other than that don't have any other ideas. My end has been stable for a few months now.

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It's been very stable lately 

I would have said the same thing two days ago, but I have had the driver require re-pairing with C4 3 times in the last 24 hours.  Hopefully it's just a temporary hiccup.

3 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I've heard that it loses connection when the Control4 controller is rebooted - but not sure on that.  You don't by chance have your controller set to reboot every night or something, do you?

I was going to chime in that I don't loose Ecobee connection when I reboot my controller, but having rebooted the controller a few days ago, I went and checked and yep, the account was no longer linked! This is good to know for when I do the rare reboot. 

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Btw - I have programming setup to notify me now when ecobee disconnects.

I have a push message that sends when is_connected changes.  That is connected variable will tell you if it's connected to the ecobee cloud

That is a great idea. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 9:36 AM, msgreenf said:

Btw - I have programming setup to notify me now when ecobee disconnects.

I have a push message that sends when is_connected changes.  That is connected variable will tell you if it's connected to the ecobee cloud

that doesn't seem to work.  I just tested it on a system, that variable (IS_CONNECTED) is only available on the individual thermostat drivers, and returns a value of true, even though the Ecobee Network driver properties is telling me that there is an error refreshing the token and I need to get a new pin code.  I don't think the individual thermostat drivers actually update to be offline when this happens...

I am seeing the same thing as Ari. In fact both Control4 and Ecobee (cloud) thought that the two were connected, but they were not. I had to remove the app on the Ecobee side and reconnect. When i tried adding the new code to the existing app it took it and said it was successful, but it wasn't. Clearly there is an issue somewhere. My Josh connection with Ecobee hasn't dropped.

I've been watching this thread and all things ecobee for a while.

Hate to say, I'm also plagued with frequent disconnects. I have the latest driver. As I write this, I just went into C4 app...yep disconnected again......

Just to chime in on this, I've had similar issues as everyone else with ecobee disconnecting at the only site where I have ecobee installed. Happened pretty often after we installed it, I'd say once or twice every two weeks it would disconnect but the homeowner was very cool about it and happy with everything else so wasn't a big issue. Still happens every now and again. Last one was 3 weeks ago I have noted.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:47 PM, chopedogg88 said:

I've heard that it loses connection when the Control4 controller is rebooted - but not sure on that.  You don't by chance have your controller set to reboot every night or something, do you?

Didn't know this so I'll start asking if they have power outages or anything from now on.

The release note on the driver show that that should have been addressed a couple of revisions back. I've had the issue two days in a row now. I turned debug on to see if i can capture anything.

19 minutes ago, Shoe said:

The release note on the driver show that that should have been addressed a couple of revisions back. I've had the issue two days in a row now. I turned debug on to see if i can capture anything.

That's interesting.  I no longer have the lost connection on reboot problem, at least not since that particular driver update.  However, I do have random disconnects every few months. Sometimes, there will be a multi-day period of frequent disconnects.  

We have 7 Ecobees in the house and one Control4 Aprilaire thermostat in the garage.  The Ecobees are gorgeous to look at, easy to use at the thermostat, and easy to use on their own app. However, I haven't had to give that plain vanilla garage C4 thermostat a single ounce of attention since I put it in and programmed it up about 6 months ago.  The Ecobees on the other hand.....

Just an update...looking up on this list, I posted yesterday. Made sure the drivers are fully updated and synced. Just came back tonight and looked at the driver. yep, need to do the pin again because i got the token refresh error.  

good thing when i go to change the temp, i go to the ecobee app first, because C4 is a waste of my time for this.