C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi APs Dropping out of Controller but Staying "Blue"

BY96
Go to solution Solved by Cyknight,

As I posted in another thread, I have changed my network from an all Netgear Nighthawk setup to a Arakanis router (220) and switch (24 port 220 series) plus three Unifi WiFi 7 APs. For the most part, the transition has been smooth, except for my DNS server mess up that resulted in the loss of my Core 3 (but I eventually fixed). 

I seem to be having one lingering problem, however. Currently, I am using my MacBook as the controller for the three Unifi APs (but it is not running 24/7). I like how much more control I have over them using a controller. However, I am having repeated instances of the APs showing as being disconnected from the controller. Yet, the actual APs still show a blue ring and I know devices are connected to them. Also, there is no logical pattern to when, or which AP, drops off the controller. For example, when I woke up this morning, two APs were disconnected from the controller (but still had blue lights on and I believe were connected to devices). Yesterday evening, it was the third one that disconnected (the only one that was connected this morning when I woke up). To fix the issue, I simply turn off and back on the POE for the AP, and then it reconnects to the controller. 

The warning message that pops up in the Unifi controller says I may need to replace the cable to the AP. I do not think this is the issue, as it is all three APs that disconnect, the cables are brand new, I tested the connections out prior to setting up the APs, and the APs actually are never losing power (as shown by the blue light that is still on). I also don't think the problem is the POE switch, as again, it shows it is supplying power even when an AP is disconnected in the controller. 

My online research has found the suggestion of removing the APs from the controller and then re-adopting them. I am fine doing this, but I do have a CloudKey+ on order (and it should arrive on Tuesday), so I rather wait and remove the APs when it comes, so I can start fresh with the CloudKey+ as the controller. I also am hoping that just changing the controller may fix the problem (especially since the new controller will run 24/7). 

I know Unifi is not a Control4/SnapOne product, but I also know many people on this forum use Unifi and in general, this group is the best one I know for being helpful without unnecessary commentary/criticism. 

Thanks for any input. 

I think it would be easier if you stick to one of your threads instead of spreading your issues across multiple threads.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but the easiest for a DIY person is to get a Dream Machine for those AP's. If you want to mix and match and keep costs down then generally the exchange is greater complexity and care. Saving a few bucks makes sense when you don't have the bucks. Spending the money makes sense when you take a look at the time you will need to spend and check that against how you would value your time.

All that said, if you have a remote dealer or someone that helps you with stuff and you intend to use them in the future, you may want to take their advice on what they are comfortable working with. Unifi is really easy if you are all Unifi and giving remote access to the network when needed is a couple clicks.

1 hour ago, Shoe said:

I think it would be easier if you stick to one of your threads instead of spreading your issues across multiple threads.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but the easiest for a DIY person is to get a Dream Machine for those AP's. If you want to mix and match and keep costs down then generally the exchange is greater complexity and care. Saving a few bucks makes sense when you don't have the bucks. Spending the money makes sense when you take a look at the time you will need to spend and check that against how you would value your time.

All that said, if you have a remote dealer or someone that helps you with stuff and you intend to use them in the future, you may want to take their advice on what they are comfortable working with. Unifi is really easy if you are all Unifi and giving remote access to the network when needed is a couple clicks.

I do have a dealer, and he is the one that recommended an Araknis router and switch with Unifi APs. I only "mixed and matched" as that was his advice and he has never led me astray before. Unfortunately, he is out of the country this week, so I thought I could start here as I know there are a lot of Unifi experts on this forum. 

As for the thread, as the other matter was resolved, and I did not get much feedback on it anyways, I decided a new thread might generate more responses. 

As an update, I am wondering if the fact that I am using my MacBook as the Unifi Controller, and the MacBook has not had a static IP address, could be the problem. However, I would think that if that was the cause, all three APs would be disconnected from the controller (but still running). I have just now set a static IP for the MacBook and will see if I have more disconnects from the controller. 

1 hour ago, BY96 said:

As an update, I am wondering if the fact that I am using my MacBook as the Unifi Controller, and the MacBook has not had a static IP address, could be the problem. However, I would think that if that was the cause, all three APs would be disconnected from the controller (but still running). I have just now set a static IP for the MacBook and will see if I have more disconnects from the controller. 

I don't think you understand how the controller works. It is only used for programming. APS do not have to stay connected to them to work

At this point, I am not using the CloudKey but plan to switch to it when it comes. I am only using the controller software on my MacBook. On another thread, I was told the CloudKey+ was the best option for what I want to do. (Maybe multiple threads was a mistake after all.) 

I know that the controller can be used to setup the APs and then not used. However, much of what I have read on Unifi forums is that the APs can be monitored if the controller (CloudKey, PC, Mac, UDM, etc.) is running 24/7. I originally used the Unifi app to setup the APs, but found the controller software to be much more useful. For example, it allows me to lock a device to only one of the APs. 

24 minutes ago, BY96 said:

At this point, I am not using the CloudKey but plan to switch to it when it comes. I am only using the controller software on my MacBook. On another thread, I was told the CloudKey+ was the best option for what I want to do. (Maybe multiple threads was a mistake after all.) 

I know that the controller can be used to setup the APs and then not used. However, much of what I have read on Unifi forums is that the APs can be monitored if the controller (CloudKey, PC, Mac, UDM, etc.) is running 24/7. I originally used the Unifi app to setup the APs, but found the controller software to be much more useful. For example, it allows me to lock a device to only one of the APs. 

Then you shouldn't be running it on a laptop w DHCP IP

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Then you shouldn't be running it on a laptop w DHCP IP

That is what I figured out and hope is the solution. Once I figured it out, I changed the laptop to static. Probably a stupid mistake but I still cannot figure out why some of the APs would disconnect and others wouldn't. If the laptop's IP changed, I would think all would have dropped. But none have disconnected since I set the IP as static. 

Once the CloudKey+ comes, I won't use the laptop as controller and the CloudKey+ will have a static IP. 

You only need the Unifi Network (macbook or cloudkey)  to configure and update the APs for how your configured.

However, once it is set up, you can get stats on the AP from the macbook or cloudkey. So it's worth it to keep it up at all times. If you reset your laptop you may have lots of problems with access to the APs.

As others hinted, your best bet is to ditch the Araknas Router and go Unifi....  one management platform, and it will to DHCP, DNS, and keep everything organized so you don't have other future problems.

Thank you both for your input. I went with the components my dealer recommended and I am really happy with the Araknis router and switch. It may just be a cosmetic thing, but I do like the option of having all the ports in the back given the location of the router and switch in my house as opposed to Unifi that only has ports in the front.  I realize a full system from the same manufacture is simplest, but I have no doubt my dealer has good reasons for the setup he recommended. 

Unfortunately, I am still having problems with at least one AP disconnecting from the controller, but hopefully that will be fixed with a 24/7 controller with the CloudKey+. 

7 hours ago, BY96 said:

Thank you both for your input. I went with the components my dealer recommended and I am really happy with the Araknis router and switch. It may just be a cosmetic thing, but I do like the option of having all the ports in the back given the location of the router and switch in my house as opposed to Unifi that only has ports in the front.  I realize a full system from the same manufacture is simplest, but I have no doubt my dealer has good reasons for the setup he recommended. 

Unfortunately, I am still having problems with at least one AP disconnecting from the controller, but hopefully that will be fixed with a 24/7 controller with the CloudKey+. 

if it doesn't, check for interference and make sure you have the latest SW.

3 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Because a lot of us pros don’t like those APs…

Whatever works then i guess but seems it would have been better to go with a full unifi setup and forget the Araknis if you are going to use their APs.

18 hours ago, BY96 said:

he is the one that recommended an Araknis router and switch with Unifi APs. I only "mixed and matched" as that was his advice and he has never led me astray before

First for everything? I would sooner suggest the other way around (araknis router and switch? then use araknis APs) but to each their own. You're mixing two management systems here, and that is never ideal (the whole point of a management system is to make it easy to manage in one place).

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Because a lot of us pros don’t like those APs…

And the same can be said for unifi APs and switches and routers. There is no right or wrong answer, except perhaps that mixing two network management services isn't ideal.

21 hours ago, BY96 said:

the APs actually are never losing power (as shown by the blue light that is still on). I also don't think the problem is the POE switch, as again, it shows it is supplying power even when an AP is disconnected

Just to point out: power is transferred on different pair than the MAIN network connection. Gig uses all pair, but it it still depends on the 'main' two pairs (green/orange) are up. It won't default to the 'extra' pairs if the 'main' data connection is down. PoE powering a device does not equal a good cable/termination for that reason.

43 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Just to point out: power is transferred on different pair than the MAIN network connection. Gig uses all pair, but it it still depends on the 'main' two pairs (green/orange) are up. It won't default to the 'extra' pairs if the 'main' data connection is down. PoE powering a device does not equal a good cable/termination for that reason.

This is a very good point and my statement was over simplified. However, I believe the blue light indicates the AP is connected to both power and the main network connection. Per Unifi, a steady blue light is normal operating mode and the AP is broadcasting Wi-Fi. Also, I know that some devices are connected to the AP that appears disconnected in the Unifi controller (my Mac). 

I never realized mixing brands was such a controversial issue, though I can appreciate how it complicates things. That said, I don’t know my dealer’s exact reasons and he may very well contribute to this discussion at some point. However, except for this one issue, I am thrilled with the setup I now have and the price was within my budget.

1 hour ago, BY96 said:

This is a very good point and my statement was over simplified. However, I believe the blue light indicates the AP is connected to both power and the main network connection. Per Unifi, a steady blue light is normal operating mode and the AP is broadcasting Wi-Fi. Also, I know that some devices are connected to the AP that appears disconnected in the Unifi controller (my Mac). 

So what is actually your issue? Is it that the Macbook you have the unifi network application running on is disconnecting to the AP's? If so this is probably due to the fact that the macbook goes to sleep. i dont think you really have a problem at all.

29 minutes ago, therockhr said:

So what is actually your issue? Is it that the Macbook you have the unifi network application running on is disconnecting to the AP's? If so this is probably due to the fact that the macbook goes to sleep. i dont think you really have a problem at all.

Thank you for getting back to my original question and I hope you are right.

Yes, that is my question, but when the MacBook wakes back up, I would think the APs would reconnect in the controller software, but they don't, and I have to turn off and back on the POE to get them to reappear in the software. And I would assume that if the reason one or two of the APs were disconnecting was the laptop going to sleep, all of them would disconnect, but that has never been the case. However, someone above suggested a possible reason for only some disconnecting. But these were my observations that led to me ask the original question. 

I am hoping you are right, and the issue is simply because I am using a MacBook for the controller (temporarily) and this will be resolved with a 24/7 controller. 

7 hours ago, therockhr said:

Whatever works then i guess but seems it would have been better to go with a full unifi setup and forget the Araknis if you are going to use their APs.

Not exactly. Unifi does not have any rear port switches for example. Network switches are all somewhat the same and usually pretty good by any brand. Now that Araknis routers have OVRC and a half decent firewall they are not an awful choice. Id still use a more advanced firewall.. so thats 3 brands. 

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

Network management software is really just for convenience. Most network parameters are universal. The macbook going to sleep doesnt cause APs to go offline.  I know this because I run lots of networks both ways. 

55 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

Not exactly. Unifi does not have any rear port switches for example. Network switches are all somewhat the same and usually pretty good by any brand. Now that Araknis routers have OVRC and a half decent firewall they are not an awful choice. Id still use a more advanced firewall.. so thats 3 brands. 

Network management software is really just for convenience. Most network parameters are universal. The macbook going to sleep doesnt cause APs to go offline.  I know this because I run lots of networks both ways. 

Yes! Since the network gear is in my master closet, which is open to the master bathroom, I wanted to make the equipment look as clean as possible for WAF. Having multiple patch cords on the face of the gear was not ideal. I was disappointed that Unifi only has front-facing ports. I originally was really interested in the Dream Machine but decided against it in part due to the aesthetics. 

I know my dealer suggested Araknis in part for the OVRC, but a major selling factor for me was that since Araknis and Control4 are the same parent company, no one can point the finger at the other if something goes wrong between the two systems. I hate being caught in between two companies blaming each other. This, and the option for rear facing ports, were the two reasons I chose Araknis over Unifi for the router and switch. Why my dealer suggested Unifi APs over Araknis ones, I am not sure. 

My observations over the past few days have led me to the conclusion that the APs are not going offline, only that they are disconnecting from the laptop-based Unifi controller, which is not a big deal. I was initially concerned, as the message that popped up in the software was that my wiring could be damaged. As I said above, what I haven't understood is why it is never all three APs, but only one or two, that disconnect at a time, or why upon restarting the software in the laptop, they don't all reconnect. Instead, I have to power them down and back up to get them to reconnect to the controller software. 

I wouldn't have posted here in the first place if I had realized this was going to turn into a one brand vs. mixed brands debate. I assumed mixing devices was common enough that it wouldn't generate such discussion. And I don't think my issue (if there even is an issue) has anything to do with mixed brands (other than an all-Unifi system would have the Unifi controller running 24/7, but I can accomplish that with a CloudKey+). 

1 hour ago, Control4Savant said:

From what he is saying the aps are not going offline. He just can’t get the management software to connect.