C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Control Touch Pads

Hi. I am fairly new to Control4 and currently building a house. I am installing a full C4 home automation system and I have been quoted for configurable keypads to be used every where.

I wanted to know if there are any other smart control pads available that will work with the C4 system. I know one that works which is called Black Nova (https://blacknova.co/) These keypads look much more modern and was wondering if there were any other ones out there. Even if they touch screen control pads, that will be better and more modernised.

Thanks 

I personally despise the 'modern' C4 look but to each there own. I much prefer the 'traditional' version (especially in midnight black with an actual stainless steel cover).

That said, tastes will differ. I do like these: https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/touch-keypads/

Rithum is another options that I've looked at but never used them. I'm concerned about speed of control a bit on those and just had zero time to trial them.

In the end, we've done VERY few alternative options - because the added cost of alternative keypads with less snappy control, or much more expensive keypads that work just as well tends to convince even the most 'liquid' clients. 🤷‍♂️

We've played with some KNX options and things like the blacknova aria but it's rarely gone anywhere, and frankly they rarely work quite as well as a regular keypad.

Most cases it's a few alternate options in specific locations such as decked out theatres but the majority still regular keypads.

The problem with the overly fancy options is also that they POP a lot more. Which is nice in a demo setup and looks great on a web page showing one of them....but it tends to become this obvious thing sticking out on every wall of your house if you put them everywhere and actually can feel like MORE wall clutter, not less. Just something to consider.

Also, while the 'touch' look is again nice, think of how you live and move around in the house. A 'tactile' keypad over the course of a bit of time become muscle memory - you walk across the house and merely 'feel' what button to press, do so blindly and move along and you get what you want. Generally for any touch options - you will ALWAYS stop and look at what you're doing.

Not telling you NOT to do alternate and fancy options - but don't get drawn too much into the look of something, that may be better of not being noticeable at all.

43 minutes ago, fleon said:

Yes, I much prefer these:

https://axionlighting.com/product/axion-android-poe-touch-panels/

So much cheaper too....

Those are touchscreen alternatives, as in an alternative for using a touchscreen, not so much keypads, and I find them rather 'meh'

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I personally despise the 'modern' C4 look but to each there own. I much prefer the 'traditional' version (especially in midnight black with an actual stainless steel cover).

That said, tastes will differ. I do like these: https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/touch-keypads/

Rithum is another options that I've looked at but never used them. I'm concerned about speed of control a bit on those and just had zero time to trial them.

In the end, we've done VERY few alternative options - because the added cost of alternative keypads with less snappy control, or much more expensive keypads that work just as well tends to convince even the most 'liquid' clients. 🤷‍♂️

We've played with some KNX options and things like the blacknova aria but it's rarely gone anywhere, and frankly they rarely work quite as well as a regular keypad.

Most cases it's a few alternate options in specific locations such as decked out theatres but the majority still regular keypads.

The problem with the overly fancy options is also that they POP a lot more. Which is nice in a demo setup and looks great on a web page showing one of them....but it tends to become this obvious thing sticking out on every wall of your house if you put them everywhere and actually can feel like MORE wall clutter, not less. Just something to consider.

Also, while the 'touch' look is again nice, think of how you live and move around in the house. A 'tactile' keypad over the course of a bit of time become muscle memory - you walk across the house and merely 'feel' what button to press, do so blindly and move along and you get what you want. Generally for any touch options - you will ALWAYS stop and look at what you're doing.

Not telling you NOT to do alternate and fancy options - but don't get drawn too much into the look of something, that may be better of not being noticeable at all.

Those are touchscreen alternatives, as in an alternative for using a touchscreen, not so much keypads, and I find them rather 'meh'

100%… I use Noon Lighting OLED keypads for elevated control in my Savant systems. Especially since clients can add or remove their own touch buttons and system scenes. They are VERY cool and a HUGE PITA to use all at the same time. Tactile controls make a huge difference in our primitive daily routine.  

On 4/18/2024 at 7:30 AM, therockhr said:

Have you deployed many of these? What do you lose with this versus a C4 touchscreen?

Don't consider them touchscreens at all. They're super fancy 'touch' keypads.

'Touchscreens' in C4 world are full scale visual/user interfaces that give you your whole home to control in every aspect, a keypad is a programmed control point set to do specific tasks.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

'Touchscreens' in C4 world are full scale visual/user interfaces that give you your whole home to control in every aspect, a keypad is a programmed control point set to do specific tasks.

You can consider them whatever you want but they are definitely touch screens.

Maybe just for fun answer the question asked which was how they compare?

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

If you asked the average person to look at this device and the C4 touchscreen they couldn't tell the difference. 

Looking around at documentation it appears that this device cant do the intercom function.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:25 PM, therockhr said:

If you asked the average person to look at this device and the C4 touchscreen they couldn't tell the difference. 

Looking around at documentation it appears that this device cant do the intercom function.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:23 AM, Control4Savant said:

You can consider them whatever you want but they are definitely touch screens.

Maybe just for fun answer the question asked which was how they compare?

I was talking about the axxes ind keypads, not the android touchscreen. My mistake, I though he was asking if I installed many of those.

If the average person can't see the difference between that (the axxess keypads) and an actual touchscreen (C4 or tablet doesn't matter) then humanity is in deep trouble. 😉

And no it won't do intercom - that is only available on native C4 screens. As for how they compare: I never suggested them, never used them at a client, and likely never will (nothing against them as such, but if going the alternate option route I don't see why I'd use that over a mounted tablet).

I demo'd one and found it slow to respond to touch and slow to load - but that was an early unit so I will certainly say a newer user should comment on how well they work for a better 'review' than I can give.