C4 Forums | Control4

DUNE/C4 Dealer ***Diamond Design*** - THUMBS UP!!!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is what is commonly referred to as a media player. It can play hard discs like blu ray, dvd or cd if you have a B1 or Max. All models can play media (movies, photos, etc.) from a computer, nas or internal hard drive or USB drive on the tv. Most people use them to play recorded movies on a tv.

OK, so I have my DVD and Blu-Ray titles and cover art scanned in C4. I choose a title from my touch screen and hit play. The TV switches to the Dune home screen and then nothing happens. Am I incorrect to expect the movie to start playing??? I tried both a Blu-Ray (ISO) and DVD (ripped files).

Hi, looks like a minor glitch - a reboot of the Dune fixed it.

Yes. Is your Dune on the network properly, with the driver configured right? Does it have access to where the movies are located?

A couple of Dune issues:

* When using the B1 interface to navigate my NAS share containing video folders via the C4 remote, pressing Cancel on the C4 remote pops up a dialog on the Dune interface asking me if I want to delete the selected folder. This seems pretty dangerous behaviour. Perhaps this key should be remapped or be configurable in the driver properties.

* As with some other posts, if I use the C4 interface to play a video, when I press Stop the Dune interface shows up. This is plain confusing. I submit the "correct" behaviour is to return the user to the C4 screen where they selected the movie to play. To return them to the C4 home screen is not really correct, but less confusing than going to the Dune interface.

Cheers...

Hi James. You and I had a brief discussion over on AVSforums about upgrading the Dunes HDD to 3.0TB

I read with interest about your driver. And I understand why most don't want to "see" the Dune interface. It sure is a bit basic. I also understand the attractions of NAS's and My Movies.

But is there anyway of using your driver to simply pull up and access movies stored directly on an internal HDD within the Dune? I'm simply nor interested in My Movies. I love being able to play the movies straight off a HDD within the Dune. No streaming is required. This allows extremely fast and hassle free playback. It's as if you have all the DVD's and Blu Ray discs actually sitting right in your player. I love this functionality. It's simple. Elegant, And failsafe. (as long as you backup the pull out drives (which I do).

And the Duo's just made things easier. Because that has doubled storage to 4TB. And who knows if, a 3TB, or 4TB drive solution comes out (as we discussed), potential total storage right on one Dune player will jump to 8TB...Sure, these drives can't be raided (as far as I'm aware). But you can easily move files over from one to the other to refine your library between the two disks.

So I'm just wondering if your driver can be used to search a movie database right on the Dune itself, and bring them into C4. And better still, could it search across the two HDD's of the Duo?

Thanks Wap.

AK1, I'll probably just add a feature in v5 that will allow your dealer to decide what happens on stop and then what happens on movie end. The options would be "black screen", C4 main screen and dune main screen. Going back to C4 only will make it nearly inoperable for the mymovies zappiti guys so we'll do it that way. You could make it go black screen on stop and return to C4 on movie end or return to C4 on both. I was hoping to aviod the extra programming but your persistece has paid off :)

Wap,

Right now C4 will scan the movies in your Dune. The only problem is, some people (although not all by far) have network problems because C4 sees the movies by SMB and doesn't really play them locally. We are working on that for v5 so that the ones that have any buffering will not have that anymore. But to answer your question, it will do all that right now and will scan both drives in the dune.

I also saw this and that's why I use a userid that only has read access on my mediaserver. Should not be there to begin with.

I agree with your suggestion going back to the C4 screen to select a movie. In the case of MyMovies, it should just go to the screen/page where the movie was selected.

A couple of Dune issues:

* When using the B1 interface to navigate my NAS share containing video folders via the C4 remote, pressing Cancel on the C4 remote pops up a dialog on the Dune interface asking me if I want to delete the selected folder. This seems pretty dangerous behaviour. Perhaps this key should be remapped or be configurable in the driver properties.

* As with some other posts, if I use the C4 interface to play a video, when I press Stop the Dune interface shows up. This is plain confusing. I submit the "correct" behaviour is to return the user to the C4 screen where they selected the movie to play. To return them to the C4 home screen is not really correct, but less confusing than going to the Dune interface.

Cheers...

AK1, I'll probably just add a feature in v5 that will allow your dealer to decide what happens on stop and then what happens on movie end. The options would be "black screen", C4 main screen and dune main screen. Going back to C4 only will make it nearly inoperable for the mymovies zappiti guys so we'll do it that way. You could make it go black screen on stop and return to C4 on movie end or return to C4 on both. I was hoping to aviod the extra programming but your persistece has paid off :)

good to hear. I think the C4 screen makes the most sense on movie end and black during the movie.

Sounds almost there: but returning to C4 main screen is not right. It should return to the C4 screen from where the "Play" button was invoked to launch the movie.

I'll look into this. I'm not sure if its possible but I'll check. When you go outside of c4 (which is what you're doing with the dune) then to get back in you need a command. They provide a command in programming for (push the big red 4 on the remote) which is what I can invoke.

James,

I'm new to all of this (don't have a C4 system yet, but planning for it), and I'm curious about a couple of things.

(1) I think you answered this above, but your use of the "My Movies" was for brevity, as really, you're controlling the Dune via IP through C4, so it can interact with whatever jukebox you use for the Dune - My Movies, Zappiti, Movienizer, Yadis, etc., correct?

(2) More importantly, I own a Base 3.0. The current firmware for it does include IP control. Is there any reason why your driver would not work with the Base 3.0, as only the new models are specifically mentioned in your posts?

Thanks in advance. I was reading here to better understand the C4 system before I went to talk to dealers and the Dune control and media integration was a pleasant surprise.

(1) Correct. I have no experience with those but it will work with them. Most people use one of the first two on your list. The new Dune UI thats in beta now is tons better and it may get to a point where people use the dune interface as an option as well.

(2) The first one I used to build the driver with was a Base 3.0. 100% confirmed to work with it. You'd need the driver and this beta firmware: http://files.dune-hd.com/firmware/hdbase3/dune_firmware_hdbase3_110127_2105_beta.dff

No problem. Enjoy your day and welcome to C4.

James,

Just wanted to say thanks for the player and the driver working great on 1.74 project.

Fyi the USB sticks that James have are really cool, system storage and my moves on one stick.

Also the programming job was filled but still looking for someone to help with flash and graphics stuff (no programming experience required) for a project we have going on. See the careers page for more info (besides compensation, employees get composer pro).

Add another great reference to James and Diamond Design.

Ordered a Dune HD H1, arrived quickly, easy setup, quick firmware upgrade, solid IP driver and great customer support with quick responses to my questions.

Oh and the Dune is awesome as well.

Just want streaming audio integration in the C4 driver and I can probably skip buying the sonos. I'd gladly buy another Dune for audio (and backup video) if it integrated better with C4 audio side.

For raw video playing, I can't say enough about the Zune, it just plays anything you throw at it, upscaled to 1080p and never skips a beat.

Plus it is so hackable, it makes it basically future proof.

Have my new smart h1 setup now with my movies. I have noticed that on occasion when selecting a movie, the screen will go black and then return to the dune home screen. If I then go back to "my movies", go to the same movie, hit select, it will go to the movie details page and then load the movie normally.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Have my new smart h1 setup now with my movies. I have noticed that on occasion when selecting a movie, the screen will go black and then return to the dune home screen. If I then go back to "my movies", go to the same movie, hit select, it will go to the movie details page and then load the movie normally.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Yes I have experienced the same issue. My dune Smart H1 is running firmware 110225_1222 and mymovies 3.19

Ok, I am using the same my movies version and Dune firmware version. I have noticed EVERY TIME I go from the Dune main menu screen to the my movies menu, the very first movie selection will result in a blank screen with a return to the DUNE home screen. Going back to my movies and selecting the movie will then work.

Can you confirm this behavior with your Dune,that in fact, it does happen like that EVERY TIME you switch from the DUNE home menu to the my movies menu?????

Thanks

Archived